Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 07:53 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myright View Post
If the Government tried to confiscate guns it would not longer be following the constitution and it no longer be legitimate. Anyone helping it would be guilty of treason and in the chaos of the civil war with the new legitimate government. What you describe would have a real chance of the people doing what you describe being executed for treason.
The government can seize just about anything it likes for any reason as long as it provides just compensation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 07:58 PM

6 posts, read 4,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
The government can seize just about anything it likes for any reason as long as it provides just compensation.
Nope, it cant. Their are millions of Americans that would let anyone trying to seize their weapons have them lead first.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:03 PM

488 posts, read 412,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I agree. Therefore, what good would a ban be then? Except to make a few liberals feel better about themselves?
Because feeling good about themselves oblivious to reality outside of groupthink is all the liberal 'progressive' desires. Responsibility just becomes another tax or regulation or ban or a 'positive direction'.

"It's all good!"

Old 12-17-2012, 08:04 PM

6 posts, read 4,543 times
If the government ever tried to take people guns it would find its self out gunned since most of the military hardware is in the south in states where they would leave the union in a heartbeat.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:06 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Why confiscate? Just tax them and make them illegal to sell. People will voluntarily hand them over.
Interesting.. What proof do you have that ANYONE has one? Oh, you say there are records of the sale? Well, I sold that weapon and no longer have it.. Or I had all of my guns in my boat out at the lake and the boat capsized.. I lost them ALL!! So, I don't have any, you can't tax me..

Old 12-17-2012, 08:06 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I agree. Therefore, what good would a ban be then? Except to make a few liberals feel better about themselves?
Because you have to start the change, that's why, and over time, it lessens the glut of weaponry and the opportunities for crazy people to commit mass murder.

Don't think it can work? Then look to Australia, where gun crime diminished significantly after a massacre when a gun buyback and assault rifle ban became reality, because Australians are sane and rational human beings, unlike the extreme rightwing in America.

Port Arthur massacre (Australia) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-17-2012, 08:08 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myright View Post
If the government ever tried to take people guns it would find its self out gunned since most of the military hardware is in the south in states where they would leave the union in a heartbeat.
I agree. I would think most in the military and on police forces would just stand down, or turn on the government.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:12 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Let's say for the sake of saying that the law is changed and anyone found in possession of a illegal firearm will face prison time... How many prisions are you willing to build to house those who refuse to surrender their arms? Who will pay the increased taxes? The taxpayers will be in prison..

Old 12-17-2012, 08:20 PM

518 posts, read 406,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
That order would breach your oath...thus question it's merit.

You may disobey a direct order if it's illegal.

Not to say some might not get sold down the river.

Even so, you did the right thing.
If a commanding officer ordered soldiers to just deprive people of property without due process of law in violation of the 5th Amendment, sure, a soldier could refuse to obey the unconstitutional order. There might still be consequences, but if that's what we're talking about here, okay, I guess I'd sympathize a bit.

But let's get real: what the OP's hinting at is if there's some law that forces people to give up their target weapons hobby, then his buddies in the military and law enforcement are going to ignore their legal obligations to uphold national security and the law. I predict that would last about as long as it takes people to find out about such dereliction of duty and to raise a fuss. It's then just a matter of how long it takes a soldier to be court martialed and as long as it takes an officer to get fired.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:20 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Because you have to start the change, that's why, and over time, it lessens the glut of weaponry and the opportunities for crazy people to commit mass murder.

Don't think it can work? Then look to Australia, where gun crime diminished significantly after a massacre when a gun buyback and assault rifle ban became reality, because Australians are sane and rational human beings, unlike the extreme rightwing in America.

Port Arthur massacre (Australia) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So, to get your thinking straight: My handgun, rifle, and shotgun I have in my home, will still be functioning in a thousand years. Therefore, what you are advocating is ban them now, so a thousand years from now, there maybe less gun violence (notice I said maybe)?

Let us not start comparing nations. That isn't going to solve anything here. Australia and the US are two totally different animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies