Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 10:38 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,550,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Why do you continue to insist that people who support the 2nd Amendment don't have sympathy for the victims? Having sympathy doesn't negate common sense, and common sense shows that many, if not most, of the current "gun control" laws don't do a thing to stop shootings.

Your first sentence is a lie. Maybe not for you personally, but the vast majority of people calling for stricter gun control laws are, in fact, wanting to ban high powered weapons. As for enlisting the help of gun owners in "slowing down the slaughter," fine, my first recommendation is to get rid of GFZ laws. Push for that to happen and I'll help you. My high powered weapons haven't enabled any shootings, just as an fyi.

The tools of war? Seriously? How emotionally charged can you make your argument? My firearms aren't tools of war, they've never been involved in a war, and unless something truly cataclysmic happens to our society they will never be used in war.

Again I ask, why do you feel that it is necessary to blame all firearms owners and supporters of the 2nd Amendment for something that they didn't have anything to do with? If you hate guns, that's fine, but at least be honest enough to admit that you hate them rather than coming on here and trying to use emotionally charged fallacious arguments in order to pretend you have some sort of moral high ground. I didn't shoot anyone, nor do I support any law that gives mass shooters carte blanche in our schools because there is nobody around to stop them. Use logic rather than emotion and quite possibly you'll come to realize that your arguments are baseless.
I don't hate guns; I only hate the bloody results of their intended use.

How can you seperate human emotion from an issue that involves murdered elementary school tots? You'd have to be a robot not to feel for those kids.

All I am asking for is a little compassion from the gun fetishists who occupy but don't own the other side of the debate.

Most gun owners probably have no intention to murder and it is those people who I feel will one day move a little bit left towards the mainstream with the hope of finding common ground.

I just hope it doesn't take too many more massacres for that to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 12:27 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,917,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
My guns intended use is for shooting paper and self protection. I will never use them in an offensive manner.

Quote:
How can you seperate human emotion from an issue that involves murdered elementary school tots? You'd have to be a robot not to feel for those kids.
This sounds a lot like projection. Because you can't compartmentalize your emotions then no one can. In fact, it's pretty easy for me to do that.

Quote:
All I am asking for is a little compassion from the gun fetishists who occupy but don't own the other side of the debate.
Why the sexual connotations? Just because we are interested in a mechanical tool, it doesn't mean there is anything sexual about it.

Quote:
Most gun owners probably have no intention to murder and it is those people who I feel will one day move a little bit left towards the mainstream with the hope of finding common ground.
I would put the number of legal gun owners that have no intention to murder at 99.9% or higher and I am one of them. Will I move a little bit to the left? Absolutely not.

Quote:
I would like to see a decrease in ALL violence.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:01 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,202,323 times
Quote:

What does compassion have to do with gun laws? As stated here ad nauseum, none of the things you want changed in gun laws will have any affect on school violence. Why enact them?

I am not a gun nut. I just want you to actually think through what you ask for. Adam Lanza killed his mother and stole her guns. He shot children in a classroom. A waiting period would do nothing. Gun training for Lanza? How would that have changed the outcome? If he had single shot 22 rifle he probably could have killed almost as many children as he did with his semi automatic.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
What does compassion have to do with gun laws? As stated here ad nauseum, none of the things you want changed in gun laws will have any affect on school violence. Why enact them?

I am not a gun nut. I just want you to actually think through what you ask for. Adam Lanza killed his mother and stole her guns. He shot children in a classroom. A waiting period would do nothing. Gun training for Lanza? How would that have changed the outcome? If he had single shot 22 rifle he probably could have killed almost as many children as he did with his semi automatic.
The problem is while ordinary Americans weep for the fallen after one of our many, many gun massacres gun enthusiasts tend to immediately justify why the body count would be the same even if the psycho's weapon was a [fill in the blank of something that isn't an assault rifle].

It is all about the optics of ranting and raving about the conspiratorial forces "coming to take our guns" and justifying the death of children by saying their liberal parents had it coming vs. showing compassion. At least wait a few hours and let the parents come to grip with what has happened before ranting about the black UN helicopters and such.

That is what is hard for regular Americans to understand.

Old 11-05-2013, 02:42 PM

11,148 posts, read 10,725,362 times
Quote:
The problem is while ordinary Americans weep for the fallen after one of our many, many gun massacres gun enthusiasts tend to immediately justify why the body count would be the same even if the psycho's weapon was a [fill in the blank of something that isn't an assault rifle].

It is all about the optics of ranting and raving about the conspiratorial forces "coming to take our guns" and justifying the death of children by saying their liberal parents had it coming vs. showing compassion. At least wait a few hours and let the parents come to grip with what has happened before ranting about the black UN helicopters and such.

"Regular" Americans? Please. Regular Americans understand that the problem is the individual committing the crime, not the tools that the individual uses. Regular Americans understand that no matter how many laws you pass, guns you ban, or background checks you put people through, there will still be incidents such as Sandy Hook. Regular Americans weren't the ones who politicized Sandy Hook - that ball falls squarely into the court of the anti-gun crowd who immediately started calling for "assault weapon" bans without even knowing exactly what firearms were used at Sandy Hook.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:32 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,202,323 times
Quote:

I am a regular American. Are you?

Why do you think the things you proposed would have changed the outcome of Sandy Hook?

Realistically I think only a few things could have prevented Sandy Hook. Lanza's mother should have secured her guns very well (in general), and especially so with an unstable adult in the house. And Lanza should have been under psychiatric care.

Ineffective legislation is not a way to show compassion.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:13 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,380,743 times
Quote:

This is what I think. After Sandy Hook it was little-noted that Connecticut has a statewide "assault weapons" ban in place, and the gun used by Lanza was fully compliant.
Newtown shootings: In Connecticut, the Bushmaster rifle used by Adam Lanza at Sandy Hook Elementary School is legal. - Hartford Courant

Again, these laws tend to be crafted by apparent morons without a clue. But even if they had a clue, the laws would tend to be ineffective. Lanza could have done what he did with Joe Biden's shotgun.

What might be effective would be a reform of the mental health care system. Almost a year after Sandy Hook there has been no serious discussion of that. The common thread in every one of these shootings is that a psychiatrist and psychiatric drugs were involved. Maybe if we started calling them "assault style psychiatrists" we could get something done.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:

Why do you think the things you proposed would have changed the outcome of Sandy Hook?

Realistically I think only a few things could have prevented Sandy Hook. Lanza's mother should have secured her guns very well (in general), and especially so with an unstable adult in the house. And Lanza should have been under psychiatric care.

Or....she could have refrained from stacking a bunch of murder sticks in front of her clearly psychotic son.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:36 PM

11,148 posts, read 10,725,362 times
Quote:
Quote:
Or....she could have refrained from stacking a bunch of murder sticks in front of her clearly psychotic son.
Sure, you don't hate guns.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:35 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,473,927 times
Quote:
clb10 is not interested in effective legislation or showing compassion. clb10 is only interested in banning all firearms (a.k.a. "murder sticks" to use his warped terminology).

You are being trolled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies