Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many kids would it have to save for you to give up your semi auto "assaulte" rifles
I would give them up if it saved one kid 25 29.76%
I would give them up if it saved 5 kids 1 1.19%
I would give them up if it saved 25 kids 1 1.19%
I would not give them up if it cost the lives of 1000 kids. 57 67.86%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 08:05 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times

Advertisements

This entire thread is based on an abstract question with the intent to either guilt a person into a desired answer or to fuel the See I told you gun nuts are crazy response. The choices are absolutes with no qualifiers. What in life is so absolute other than death? And that is the problem with abstract questions. They are designed to deliver a specific result. I didn't take part in the poll because it is impossible to give a valid answer.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:09 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,252,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
This entire thread is based on an abstract question with the intent to either guilt a person into a desired answer or to fuel the See I told you gun nuts are crazy response. The choices are absolutes with no qualifiers. What in life is so absolute other than death? And that is the problem with abstract questions. They are designed to deliver a specific result. I didn't take part in the poll because it is impossible to give a valid answer.
You and everyone else who gave a response like this is playing semantics.

It's not like it gave you two options that are similar. There are four very different options that one could choose from to depict what their beliefs are.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:11 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
This has nothingto do with race, giving up semi-auto weapons will not make any difference because criminals, of any race, will still be able to get them. Part of the problem is the back market. Dangerous narcotics are illegal to obtain yet drug dealers are making fortunes on the black market, now what does that tell you?

It tells me if and when firearms are outlawed, the same organized crime and violence associated with every prohibition in the past will accompany this prohibition as well.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
You and everyone else who gave a response like this is playing semantics.

It's not like it gave you two options that are similar. There are four very different options that one could choose from to depict what their beliefs are.
Not true. Where were the qualifiers?
The choices are if it will save 1 kid, 5, kids, 25 kids etc.
Same exact impossible answer.
Now if the question was would you surrender your guns if you knew your son wanted to use them to commit a crime? Hell yes. Because there is a qualifier.
The way it is stated people are asked to surrender a valuable piece of property because someone says so. No evidence presented, no qualifier, nothing. Just a leap of faith.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:25 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Not true. Where were the qualifiers?
The choices are if it will save 1 kid, 5, kids, 25 kids etc.
Same exact impossible answer.
Now if the question was would you surrender your guns if you knew your son wanted to use them to commit a crime? Hell yes. Because there is a qualifier.
The way it is stated people are asked to surrender a valuable piece of property because someone says so. No evidence presented, no qualifier, nothing. Just a leap of faith.
the "qualifier" is a dead kid

Old 12-23-2012, 08:28 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
Would you give up your semi auto rifles, AKA assault rifles if it would save one kids life?

if not then if it saved 10 kids life? and if not is there a number you would give them up for?
I woulf first need to know how many lives owning a samey rifle was used to save lives. As cold as it sounds in the end it is a matter of numbers. Would you rather save 10 kids or 50 if you had a choice?

Also, the problem with this type of pulling hearth string type OP is that it is difficult to say how many lives were prevented by owning a rifle like this. It is easy to have numbers of kids killed with weapons, but can you quantify how many were prevented their deaths?
The poll survey is very leading in a way that make people look like uncaring individuals. That is why it is an unfair question, actually very biased toward gun control. I do not it follows a very scientific criteria. I truly believe that an expert survey designers would think it is a lousy one. Take care.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:47 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
What about the other qualifier, the life saved BECAUSE you were armed, or isn't that life as important?

Old 12-23-2012, 08:50 PM

Quote:
NO that isnt a qualifier.
Would you surrender your car if it would save a child? 5 children? 25 children? If not why not? Because there is no qualifier.
Who says it will save a child? The car thief?
Abstract questions are like that. The deal the realm of fantacy.
Would banning guns save some lives? YES
It could also mean that other lives are lost. It could mean that more lives are lost because those who would do such a terrible crime might opt to use a bomb instead.
We keep hearing about the ar-15 which wasn't actually used in the Sandy Hook tragedy. I am for restrictions on mag capacity. I am against punishing law abiding citizens based on the actions of a very few.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:20 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
There is a far better chance that many kids' lives would be saved if I had my Ruger Mini-30 (which is a semiauto but is not an assault rifle, assault rifles are machine guns) with me when i needed it, than if I didn't have it with me when I needed it.

You'll have to describe what situation you have in mind, where giving it up would somehow "save" X number of kids' lives, before I can give an opinion on your question.

You might also do your homework before you try to put up another silly "poll" like this one, with so many errors and misstatements in it that it can't possibly produce any coherent conclusions.
Still waiting.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:35 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,820 times
Quote:
Fictional theorectical.

The RKBA exists, as a Founder said, to "deter tyranny in government". IF the RKBA falls, tyranny may soon follow, and there will be more then "a" casualty.

Try to think big-picture, and outside of the box. Things are connected, good things and bad things.

The Founders, far wiser than you or I, Instituted the RKBA for a purpose. Embrace their wisdom, for enabled the growth of the greatest nation on earth, the USA. Try to resist the temptation to substitute silly micro-agenda driven ideas for their wisdom, unless you have built a great nation from near-scratch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies