U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2013, 08:13 AM
 
18,543 posts, read 9,538,348 times
Reputation: 5184

Advertisements

Aren't we facing the same criminals? They have backups we have zip.

What's the reason they need machine guns?

They seem to randomly shoot at innocent bystanders all the time. What is the reason they need more than 5 rounds? Since they have backups, they definitely don't need more than 5.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-06-2013, 10:09 AM
 
49 posts, read 49,491 times
Reputation: 93
1. Most PD AR15s are semi-auto, just like the ones most civilians have. Do you know the difference between "machine gun" and semi-auto?

2. Rifle / Assault Rifle? Big Guy / Big Black Guy? See how trigger words (no pun intended) are are used to make things sound scarier?

But if your point is that civilians need the same or better firepower than police, I can't argue with you. Also, if we need the same firepower, do we need the same training requirements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 10:19 AM
 
7,315 posts, read 5,517,796 times
Reputation: 2837
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Aren't we facing the same criminals? They have backups we have zip.

What's the reason they need machine guns?

They seem to randomly shoot at innocent bystanders all the time. What is the reason they need more than 5 rounds? Since they have backups, they definitely don't need more than 5.
Let me take a wild guess. They're the cops and you're not? (Thank God).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
6,976 posts, read 7,745,631 times
Reputation: 5670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Let me take a wild guess. They're the cops and you're not? (Thank God).
Good point. Most people who make the choice to be responsible for their safety are better trained with firearms than police officers are.

Oh, wait...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 05:54 PM
 
6,335 posts, read 4,415,914 times
Reputation: 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Good point. Most people who make the choice to be responsible for their safety are better trained with firearms than police officers are.

Oh, wait...
Gun owners are better trained than LEO gun owners??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 06:01 PM
 
1,156 posts, read 833,065 times
Reputation: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Gun owners are better trained than LEO gun owners??
There is a large number of cops who only shoot for their quarterly qualifications and dont spend any additional time at the range.

I witnessed a police shooting in Phoenix about 10 years ago. 3 cops, 1 bad guy. Bad guy was stationary, and had a large interstate highway behind him (I17). Each of the cops had to reload before they finally scored a hit. Thats 45 rounds bare minimum it took them to hit a stationary target, with civilians driving behind him who were put at risk by cops who couldnt shoot.

I'll take the guy who hits the range once or twice a week before any cop 10 times out of 10. The cops greatest weapon is their radio, not their gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
6,976 posts, read 7,745,631 times
Reputation: 5670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Gun owners are better trained than LEO gun owners??
How often do you think the average law enforcement officer actually uses his firearm, even for practice? If you are assuming that they practice on a regular basis, you are mistaken. I know quite a few LEOs, and most of them hit the range about 3 or 4 times a year at the most. I know a couple who only go to the range when they have to qualify, which for them is every 6 months.

On the flip side, those who have a concealed carry permit and carry on a regular basis practice quite a bit more frequently, for the most part. So yes, as I said, civilian firearms owners who carry are better trained with their firearms than police officers are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 06:04 PM
 
6,335 posts, read 4,415,914 times
Reputation: 1640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
There is a large number of cops who only shoot for their quarterly qualifications and dont spend any additional time at the range.

I witnessed a police shooting in Phoenix about 10 years ago. 3 cops, 1 bad guy. Bad guy was stationary, and had a large interstate highway behind him (I17). Each of the cops had to reload before the finally scored a single hit. Thats 45 rounds bare minimum it took them to hit a stationary target, with civilians driving behind him who were put at risk by cops who couldnt shoot.

I'll take the guy who hits the range once or twice a week before any cop 10 times out of 10. The cops greatest weapon is their radio, not their gun.
I don't own any guns and I even know that training is much more than going to the gun range. A retired Navy Seal who hasn't gone to the range in 2 years is 10x more trained a Ted Nugent type who shoots daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 21,001,151 times
Reputation: 8620
Because your ar15 is easily converted to full auto with a kit sold at most gun shows. Perfectly legal to do that btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 06:06 PM
 
18,543 posts, read 9,538,348 times
Reputation: 5184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Because your ar15 is easily converted to full auto with a kit sold at most gun shows. Perfectly legal to do that btw.
Reference please? Never seen that myself.

Some people just open their mouth and spew whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top