Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 07:08 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Ya know what gets me is that Memphis1979 owns a BAR...... he seems to have no historical back ground on the browning Automatic Rifle at all, and has no idea it was a WW-2 full auto battle rifle, and his has been neutered to semi auto only (probably).

I don't know if it is still chambered in it's original 30-06 aka 7.62 x 63, but that round is more power full than the .308 Winchester aka 7.62 x 51, and far more powerful than the Ak round 7.62 x 39, which is rather anemic.

It laughable to see him say making a Ar-15 into full auto is legal. That's a hell of way to go on vacation in the federal gray bar hotel.

Doing that went out the window legally in 1968.
You could not import machine gun and other Class 3 toys after the 1968 import ban.

You could buy new machine guns untill May 19th 1986 when the Hughes Amendment closed the registry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 10:45 PM

39,870 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adenuff View Post
1. Most PD AR15s are semi-auto, just like the ones most civilians have. Do you know the difference between "machine gun" and semi-auto?

2. Rifle / Assault Rifle? Big Guy / Big Black Guy? See how trigger words (no pun intended) are are used to make things sound scarier?

But if your point is that civilians need the same or better firepower than police, I can't argue with you. Also, if we need the same firepower, do we need the same training requirements?
Far too many PDs, even in small towns, do have "machine guns" (to be more precise, automatic rifles). They are actual, military M16s and M4 Carbines. Now, why do the civilian police in this country have ANY need for automatic weapons? Why? The military uses them for very specific purposes, specifically to pin the enemy in position while others move to bring them under direct fire. Yet there is no case for this tactic by police, where the stray rounds from "suppressive fire" is a risk to civilians. In the case of PDs they are toys in the hands of those that in far too many cases are on a power trip, and not a legitimate tool for stopping bad guys. I have a lot of respect for the vast majority of LEOs, but the militarization of law enforcement has to stop.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:54 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
You could not import machine gun and other Class 3 toys after the 1968 import ban.

You could buy new machine guns untill May 19th 1986 when the Hughes Amendment closed the registry.
Ummmm.. Yeah ya can. Just not legally. They can be brought up through Mexico and smuggled in. Yes, guns ARE smuggled INTO this country through the Mexican border.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Ummmm.. Yeah ya can. Just not legally. They can be brought up through Mexico and smuggled in. Yes, guns ARE smuggled INTO this country through the Mexican border.
Or some clandestine construction.

I just want to buy legally newly made machine guns and pay uncle scam his $200 happy switch tax.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Or some clandestine construction.

I just want to buy legally newly made machine guns and pay uncle scam his $200 happy switch tax.
Good point. they are easily made. I don't want one because I couldn't afford the ammo, but anyone who tells you that guns only go south across the border, doesn't know anything about the border.. Just sayin..

Old 08-04-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Good point. they are easily made. I don't want one because I couldn't afford the ammo, but anyone who tells you that guns only go south across the border, doesn't know anything about the border.. Just sayin..
I have been to the border, I have seen what they leave behind..That seen from no country for old men is not as uncommon as you might think.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
I have been to the border, I have seen what they leave behind..That seen from no country for old men is not as uncommon as you might think.
I live there... You're preaching to the choir.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I live there... You're preaching to the choir.
I mean some of the toys they just leave behind or forget about makes you wonder why toys the have and value...

Old 08-05-2014, 06:46 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Aren't we facing the same criminals? They have backups we have zip.

What's the reason they need machine guns?

They seem to randomly shoot at innocent bystanders all the time. What is the reason they need more than 5 rounds? Since they have backups, they definitely don't need more than 5.
You want a full auto, pay the tax and go get one and stop your whining.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:16 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Why do people dig up old posts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies