Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 10:00 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,037,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I'm not saying Nancy Lanza was mentally il as defined by usual diagnoses. She was a gun nut --- she was buying assault weapons and teaching her children how to shoot them.

Maybe we do need a new classification: Weapons Accrual Hysteria....WAH?
I could see liberals trying to do this. Classify anyone who owns a gun as mentally ill. I'm sure you could find plenty of liberal shrinks to go along with this. That is why liberalism needs to be snuffed out completely. It is in itself a mental disease. Anyone who doesn't agree with liberals has something wrong with them according to liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 10:00 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,530,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The notion that armed guards are going to prevent school shootings is nonsense. Do you have any idea how big high schools are these days? Some have thousands of students.. How many guards are you going to have? One in every classroom.

And that is just schools. How about the malls, the workplaces, the theaters, the county fairs, or just plain taking the dog for a walk down the street? The only solution here is banning guns, all guns, absolutely. That is not going to happen so we must all get used to the notion that when the kids go out the door for school, when the wife goes to the mall, when Dad takes Fido out for a walk, we may never see them again. God bless America where we have rights and live free!
Having a cop in the building versus a half hour away will make a big difference. In the Sandy Hook case I have no doubt an armed officer there could have stopped him the minute he stormed into the building, carrying his guns.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:02 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,530,084 times
Quote:
The whole idea of a mental illness database is impossible to carry out as well as being an infringement of privacy. Mental health and mental illness are along a continuum. Most mental illnesses do not predispose one to violence. Mental illnesses can come and go. You can actually be cured. What are we going to do --- put all the depressed housewives in the U.S. on a registry?
Under current law, the legal definition of a prohibited person (legally insane) so mentally ill is that they pose a danger to themselves or others. The individual has due process rights in such determinations. It does not and should not apply to every depressed housewife or such. Most mental illness is harmless to society.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:03 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,967,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Great speech by the NRA.

The politicians are not focusing on the real problem.

The blaming of violent movies and games is a cop out though, and ironic because it is the same poor argument that is used against them concerning guns.

Just like guns are not responsible for these issues, nor are movies and games. Responsibility lies in the parents hands and then in the hands of the child when they become an adult . The majority of people do not commit crimes and acts of violence and many of them were also raised with exposure to those movies and games. This like gun crime, shows the problem is not the "item" or the "tool", but the responsibility of the parents.

While even responsible parents can not guarantee such poor actions, they are responsible for them until they become adults and so when they see signs of such, it is their responsibility to ensure such is dealt with. Since Adam Lanza was an adult, the responsibility of the parent at that point is that of any citizen in that if they see serious issues with another that show an instablity, they should as a good friend, family member, or acquaintance does, find a way to report or help make this known.

From what I gathered concerning this incident, it appears she knew him to be unstable and she did take steps to report such. She had no authority over her son as he was an adult, but she might have been able to take a few more steps in protecting access by her son to her weapons.

Ultimately, this could have "reasonably" (as there are always issues of random situations that may not be reasonable to attend) been avoided with a little more responsibility attended to by the parent.

Like I said, this lies in the hands of the parents. A child is no small responsibility. We instil in them the basics of right and wrong, reason, logic, and justice. When we fail to do such, we unleash potential harm on society, so it is important that we take such responsibility seriously and with honest effort. It won't always insure a good result, but a free and just society can not exist without a moral and virtuous people. We stopped encouraging such in our children and I believe this is why such may occur more often than it would if we did.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:04 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,037,364 times
Quote:
The whole idea of a mental illness database is impossible to carry out as well as being an infringement of privacy. Mental health and mental illness are along a continuum. Most mental illnesses do not predispose one to violence. Mental illnesses can come and go. You can actually be cured. What are we going to do --- put all the depressed housewives in the U.S. on a registry?
"Mental Illness" like you say has a very broad range. I'm sure every person in the country if they were forced to visit a couple different shrinks would be diagnosed with something or other.

"How is your day going"?

"Oh not so well"

There you have depression even though the guy may have got a flat tire on the way to the visit.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:05 AM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
If folks know there is an armed guard then it could make them think twice and choose another location as a target of opportunity in another gun free zone. This is about the children isnt' it? Or is it about just banning guns?
Gee that is certainly preferable. I am a gun owner myself - some might even call me a gun nut based on my "collection". But I am also a realist who understands that the only way you get rid of the problem is to get rid of the guns - all of them including mine (well OK, I can keep mine). There is no half-assed measure like armed guards and mental registries that is going to work. Guns must go. I am not saying that I favor that - just that it is the way it is.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:06 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,663,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
The blaming of violent movies and games is a cop out though, and ironic because it is the same poor argument that is used against them concerning guns.

Just like guns are not responsible for these issues, nor are movies and games. Responsibility lies in the parents hands and then in the hands of the child when they become an adult . The majority of people do not commit crimes and acts of violence and many of them were also raised with exposure to those movies and games. This like gun crime, shows the problem is not the "item" or the "tool", but the responsibility of the parents.

While even responsible parents can not guarantee such poor actions, they are responsible for them until they become adults and so when they see signs of such, it is their responsibility to ensure such is dealt with. Since Adam Lanza was an adult, the responsibility of the parent at that point is that of any citizen in that if they see serious issues with another that show an instablity, they should as a good friend, family member, or acquaintance does, find a way to report or help make this known.

From what I gathered concerning this incident, it appears she knew him to be unstable and she did take steps to report such. She had no authority over her son as he was an adult, but she might have been able to take a few more steps in protecting access by her son to her weapons.

Ultimately, this could have "reasonably" (as there are always issues of random situations that may not be reasonable to attend) been avoided with a little more responsibility attended to by the parent.

Like I said, this lies in the hands of the parents. A child is no small responsibility. We instil in them the basics of right and wrong, reason, logic, and justice. When we fail to do such, we unleash potential harm on society, so it is important that we take such responsibility seriously and with honest effort. It won't always insure a good result, but a free and just society can not exist without a moral and virtuous people. We stopped encouraging such in our children and I believe this is why such may occur more often than it would if we did.
How many parents find their teenagers unmanageable and strange on any given day? A registry like that would have half the teenagers in America on it.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:08 AM

2,238 posts, read 1,446,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Uhhh....the Department of Education does NOT fund schools. State and Local tax dollars fund schools. You have quite a few things mixed up. Do your fellow liberals a favor and go study up a bit. These stale and erroneous talking points are beyond old.
the only thing old and stale here buddy is your ideology keep praying to St. reagan ! after all without him the mental health industry would actually be able to help people like the guy who killed those people in CT. Go ahead though keep supporting bad policies and bad politicians, how does it feel to know your big government/big corporates pet ?

Old 12-21-2012, 10:09 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,328,425 times
Quote:
That's actually not a bad idea --- bring on the DONUTS !
Actually it is a bad idea. If schools get used to seeing people in police uniforms coming in and out of their schools how long do you think it will take a crazy person to figure out how to put a facsimile of a uniform together so he can just walk in without anyone batting an eye lash?

Old 12-21-2012, 10:10 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,488,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Move to Mexico where almost all guns are banned. See how safe you feel walking around. On the other hand you could move to Canada or anywhere else that dosent have the evil "guns" you so dread.

See ya!
Canada would fit the bill. Not as many coservative cowards living there.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...in-study-finds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies