Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 03:56 PM

316 posts, read 214,676 times

Advertisements

I have been wanting to get this off my chest without sounding unsympathtetic. It seems everyone talks about how sad the children were killed, but weren't the lives of the adults important too. They were someone's child themselves and possibly parent and sibling with many more years of service. I am sad for anyone who loses a child or family member in such tragic cases regardless of the age. putting one age group above the other , I think, causes us to be less sympathetic. IMO Lanza may as well have walked into a hospital or nursing home or a group of disabled adults. Yes, the child is innocent but so were the others. The killer was once a kid himself as well. Anyway I feel for all involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 03:58 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,253,074 times
If its not sensational(not cute white kids), its not going to get reported on the same level, If this happens in a more "urban" area where there are more minorities, it would not receive the same attention. Its not right, but that's the way the media works

Old 12-21-2012, 04:04 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,447,536 times
You're absolutely right, the lives of the adults were just as important. But there are natural animal instincts ingrained in our being that place the protection of children above the protection of adults.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:07 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Yes, all the lives were valuable. We just have a visceral reaction when it comes to protecting our young. They are the future of our species, and in a very real sense give our lives meaning and give us position.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:08 PM

2,075 posts, read 4,447,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
If its not sensational(not cute white kids), its not going to get reported on the same level, If this happens in a more "urban" area where there are more minorities, it would not receive the same attention. Its not right, but that's the way the media works
The brutal, methodical murder of 20 six and seven year old kids in America would generate the same level of media coverage regardless of the race of the children.

Old 12-21-2012, 05:42 PM

316 posts, read 214,676 times
I feel protective of any defenselss people who can't protect themselves which IMO includes elderly, kids, disabled, and mentlaly ill. I was irate when one of my husbands late friends shot a crippled friend. The handicapped friend wasnt kiled but the fact of the matter is he was was defenseless. I look at kids now and think they can be vicitms but can very well be the shooter. Adam Lanza was their age only 15 short years ago. Shooters are getting yuounger and younger which is unfortunate. So much for the innoncence of childhood. I point fingers a lack of repsect for elders as well. Elders are seen as useles in society. If you can't respect the ones who brought you in the world how will you respect anythng?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies