Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 02:16 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,005,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
You are obviously speaking from a place of ignorance. "South Central" LA is being used as a dog whistle to mean "Black". However if you were speaking from a place of knowledge you would know that "South Central" is predominantly Hispanic in 2012. And the vast majority of the residents of South Los Angeles (as well as throughout all of the city) are law abiding.

I notice that you did not make it a point to say "East Los Angeles" or "Pacoima" or "Santa Ana" in your thread title. I see you.
Actually, I did not consider the racial make-up of South Central in the least. Nor did I bring up race, make any inference to it, allude to race, or somehow create the impression that I was interested in a racial aspect. Rather, the point was centered around the prevalence of weapons and the claim that more guns bring more safety to residents.

Unless you believe that the NRA means "More guns in more white people's hands mean more safety for white people," I don't know what any of this has to do with race. I, for one, took the NRA's assertion to be applicable to all people. South Central is a nationally known urban area that is traditionally associated with high gun prevalence and gun violence - whether this is still deserved or not is another issue altogether. Alas, it certainly makes it a viable example that can be recognized by forum members, regardless of where they live.

Thanks for linking it to race, though. At least we know what's on your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 02:32 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,553,904 times
This thread is takin' me down memory lane. Thanks. Back in 94 or 95 a real estate friend of mine wanted to go to south central to look over some houses and asked me if I wanted to go with. Anyway we went to one particular house and I went to the back yard and there was the most beautiful avacodo tree just busting full of avacados of course. No one lived there. He said I could take some home. So I guess I went to south central and stole avacados. They were the best I ever had!

Old 12-23-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
This thread is takin' me down memory lane. Thanks. Back in 94 or 95 a real estate friend of mine wanted to go to south central to look over some houses and asked me if I wanted to go with. Anyway we went to one particular house and I went to the back yard and there was the most beautiful avacodo tree just busting full of avacados of course. No one lived there. He said I could take some home. So I guess I went to south central and stole avacados. They were the best I ever had!
You are obviously a hoodlum.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:40 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,431 times
Quote:
You are obviously speaking from a place of ignorance. "South Central" LA is being used as a dog whistle to mean "Black". However if you were speaking from a place of knowledge you would know that "South Central" is predominantly Hispanic in 2012.
West of crenshaw, it's still pretty black today. And even back in the 80s, it was about 50-50 black and hispanic. Latinos were always on the east, blacks on the west. It's more blurred today.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:44 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
You specifically signaled out South Central Los Angeles for a reason and it is crystal clear what your intent was with your thread title. The purpose of your thread is to race bait. Just be honest about it. No need to cower in the corner throwing out innuendo....be upfront with the bigotry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Actually, I did not consider the racial make-up of South Central in the least. Nor did I bring up race, make any inference to it, allude to race, or somehow create the impression that I was interested in a racial aspect. Rather, the point was centered around the prevalence of weapons and the claim that more guns bring more safety to residents.

Unless you believe that the NRA means "More guns in more white people's hands mean more safety for white people," I don't know what any of this has to do with race. I, for one, took the NRA's assertion to be applicable to all people. South Central is a nationally known urban area that is traditionally associated with high gun prevalence and gun violence - whether this is still deserved or not is another issue altogether. Alas, it certainly makes it a viable example that can be recognized by forum members, regardless of where they live.

Thanks for linking it to race, though. At least we know what's on your mind.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:46 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,064,431 times
Quote:
You specifically signaled out South Central Los Angeles for a reason and it is crystal clear what your intent was with your thread title. The purpose of your thread is to race bait. Just be honest about it. No need to cower in the corner throwing out innuendo....be upfront with the bigotry.
He was sarcastically saying more guns =/= more safety. I doubt he was making a racial point.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
He was sarcastically saying more guns =/= more safety. I doubt he was making a racial point.
Indeed. Unfortunately, some people can't get over their obsession with race. It's quite sad.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
I guess you can't be helped. Yes, I chose South Central for a reason - which I even explained to you after you accused me of race baiting. I suppose restating it will not make a difference because you seem to be blinded by some preconceived notion.

If it makes you feel better, I invite you to scour my posting history and find posts that incite racism, are aimed at race baiting, or express any interest in race. You will find that I generally have absolutely no interest in discussions about race whatsoever.

It is obvious that race is a very important issue to you - but the only thing I can do is assure you that I have no interest in the racial aspects of this, nor intended this to be about race. The only person who throws around race and tries to bait people appears to be you...

I am sorry that you have this obsession - but I don't share it.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:56 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
I guess you can't be helped. Yes, I chose South Central for a reason - which I even explained to you after you accused me of race baiting. I suppose restating it will not make a difference because you seem to be blinded by some preconceived notion.

If it makes you feel better, I invite you to scour my posting history and find posts that incite racism, are aimed at race baiting, or express any interest in race. You will find that I generally have absolutely no interest in discussions about race whatsoever.

It is obvious that race is a very important issue to you - but the only thing I can do is assure you that I have no interest in the racial aspects of this, nor intended this to be about race. The only person who throws around race and tries to bait people appears to be you...
And you are the one creating a thread with the intent to bash based on race.

No need to own up to it...your intent is obvious.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
And you are the one creating a thread with the intent to bash based on race.

No need to own up to it...your intent is obvious.
No, I created a thread with the intent of showing that the NRA's assertion is not true.

Again, if you read racist undertones into it, then it only speaks to issues you have with race.

You may as well re-read the entire thread. Not a single person, including me, brings up race until YOU do. When you do, I, as the person who created this thread, rebuff you and say that I am not interested in potential racial aspects of this. Even though I immediately rebuff the only person who brings up race, you keep insisting that, somehow, I am interested in it. How does that make ANY sense?

Use some logic, now.

Last edited by vamos; 12-23-2012 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies