Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 04:01 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,990,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Freedom of the Press != Freedom to Break the Law
Perfect authoritarian. They hate the press because they tell facts they don't want spread. In this case, they want a reporter put in jail for showing things their tribe doesn't like. The revere the Constitution don't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 04:02 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,097,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You were told it's irrelevant if permission was given..
Permission was denied and they chose instead to follow some bad advice from the ATF who has no jurisdiction over this law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX-PG View Post
So I guess I can go to DC and ask permission to rob a bank and they'll let me?

You're deeply confused. I'm saying the opposite of what you are understanding. Try again and read slowly.

32 posts, read 22,374 times
Quote:
Perfect authoritarian. They hate the press because they tell facts they don't want spread. In this case, they want a reporter put in jail for showing things their tribe doesn't like. The revere the Constitution don't they?
Nah, I'd like to see him put in jail for openly breaking the law.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
They hate the press because they tell facts they don't want spread.
Let me ask you something, why is it you think they went with this after being denied permission to use it?

Old 12-26-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSX-PG View Post
Nah, I'd like to see him put in jail for openly breaking the law.
Exactly, if I'm going to jail for it then he needs to go to jail for it. There is reason for a blindfold on Lady Justice.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
You're deeply confused. I'm saying the opposite of what you are understanding. Try again and read slowly.

No, what you're doing is running around here in hysterics, showing your ass at every turn.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Exactly, if I'm going to jail for it then he needs to go to jail for it.

But you'll come to see coalman, that the dimlibs have a different set of standards for themselves.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Permission was denied and they chose instead to follow some bad advice from the ATF who has no jurisdiction over this law.
Ah so you do think permission is relevant? I failed to realize you are this ignorant of how the law works.

Sorry, buddy.

We don't need to ask cops permission and the fact they we did not take the advice of a cop is irrelevant.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:07 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,281,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It's not fact at all. Let's say Gregory's producer swears up and down to NBC that it was a prop, and NBC then makes a public statement to that effect. Wouldn't NBC's public image be harmed if it turned out the producer was lying and a subsequent investigation showed it to be real and to be a criminal act, and NBC then had to admit it made a false public statement?

Every lawyer at NBC is telling the company not to comment on this until the investigation is complete. That's standard operating procedure for any corporation, and it doesn't speak one iota as to what the facts are in this incident.
May not matter if it was a prop...

Look at the law

Quote:
No person in the District shall possess, sell, or transfer any large capacity ammunition feeding device regardless of whether the device is attached to a firearm. A “large capacity ammunition feeding device” means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition. This does not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with, .22 caliber rimfire ammunition.
I've bolded the active section regarding it being a prop. If that magazine is a prop, has external dimensions that allow it to fit into a STANAG mag well, internal dimensions that would allow it to accept 223 Remington rounds and hold more than 10 rounds, it's the same offense. Since it can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

This might explain some of the reticence of NBC to comment, if it was a Magazine, it's pretty clear that there is a high potential for criminal charges they're not going to discuss that until the police are finished, however if it were a prop it doesn't mean that there are no charges likely, it may very well be that there is the same potential, and NBC's lawyers are investigating what the bolded section really means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies