Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 12:27 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,062,145 times

Advertisements

If the flight attendants are unhapy, then they should quit.

There are plenty of people willing to do these crybabies jobs.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:30 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,284,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
She should find somewhere else to work and let the airlines suffer the fate of not having a professional like her working for them
If it were only that easy.

There is this little thing called 'life.' And in this life, not all people can just up and quit a job when the bills are rolling in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Because some people need a paycheck, so we put up with abuse.

I quit my job (security officer) because I was being put in a rather violent area at midnight with no weapon to protect me. When I told them I don't feel safe working in the area, they told me work it or lose my job, basically all but telling me they care more about having a warm body at a post rather than their officer's safety. So I quit on the spot.

Not everyone, however,has the luxury to do so.
Wow. Work in a dangerous area with no weapon. And let me guess...the pay wasn't all that good either, was it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It's been steadily heading in this direction for the past 15 years.
I'd say 30 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Taking a line of least resistance. It's just so easy. I push back to the extent almost of not cooperating. And when I've had enough I'll just let another company pay me more.

Don't look back, all you'll see is your own shadow
Damn shame that it's come to that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I saw an ad once that stated it needed a driver to run its jet fuel to each jet, carry and connect heavy hose to fuel up jets at Reagan National at $10 an hour.

I swear I read this somewhere and still have a time believing it's true, is the co-pilot who lost control of a 727 in Florida a few years ago was making $14 an hour.
I did aircraft refueling for a while on a government contract. I made pretty good money (about 25 an hour straight wage, and another 3.50 for H&W). That work was hard, dangerous, and very rough in extreme weather.

And pilots have been working for slave wages for quite a while at some airlines. It's a damn shame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Because the more dependent a people get the more they are willing to put up with.

Didn't used to be that way though but that is what we've evolved to.
High in debt and dependent on paychecks, benefits, many Americans are slaves to their jobs now.

I'm glad I'm retired. When I first entered the workplace there were many more choices. Employers offered benefits, pay, etc. to retain employees. With the right skills, finding a better paying/better working conditions job was not a problem.

Those days are gone for many workers in the US. People now cling to their jobs and are willing to put up with less pay, less benefits, less everything because they need that paycheck now. They don't have the 6 months emergency money; there aren't the choices of employment anymore.

More people these days have jobs vs careers that they enjoy.
People have become slaves to their paychecks.
You bring up several points. But you've said something i've been saying for a while....Americans are slaves to their STUFF! Look in some of these driveways (your homestate is even worse than mine) and you'll see 50k pickups, ATV's, boats, etc, etc...not to mention the oversized 2500 square foot homes for a family of 4. And the truth is, this stuff is purchased on long term credit in a situation in which if one wage earner in a home loses a job or gets sick, there is no contigency. They're gonna lose it all, or a good bit of it. This puts extreme pressue on a worker to pretty much put up with anything they're dealt at the job. That's the long and short of it.

You're right...it wasn't always this way and i remember when it wasn't. That's why i don't believe half of these posters when they claim that they can walk into a boss' office and negotiate a higher salary. Bullhockey. It ain't happening unless you're in the executive class. Most jobs will happily let you go if you get too big for your britches. There are few career fields in which one can't be replaced in a reasonable amount of time.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:31 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,688,768 times
Well... Let's not forget it is called employment at will for a reason... Don't like it? Find another job.

I can't stand where I work anymore so I am looking for something else.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

[MOD CUT/off topic]

Good flight attendants are hard as hell to find, and are NOT readily available.

Why not just pay them for their work and treat them like decent human beings? That's also an option, ya know.

The option of treating your employees like a group of assh*les isn't the only option for those of us with an ounce of frickin' humanity.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-01-2013 at 06:08 AM..

Old 12-30-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssArmyChick View Post
Well... Let's not forget it is called employment at will for a reason... Don't like it? Find another job.

I can't stand where I work anymore so I am looking for something else.
[MOD CUT/off topic]

SMH....Again, when did Americans start taking such an attitude about their fellow workers? Why not just treat these people fairly in the first place? Isn't that also an option?

Damn.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-01-2013 at 06:08 AM..

8,650 posts, read 9,167,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
If it were only that easy.

There is this little thing called 'life.' And in this life, not all people can just up and quit a job when the bills are rolling in.

Wow. Work in a dangerous area with no weapon. And let me guess...the pay wasn't all that good either, was it?

I'd say 30 years.

Damn shame that it's come to that.

I did aircraft refueling for a while on a government contract. I made pretty good money (about 25 an hour straight wage, and another 3.50 for H&W). That work was hard, dangerous, and very rough in extreme weather.

And pilots have been working for slave wages for quite a while at some airlines. It's a damn shame.

You bring up several points. But you've said something i've been saying for a while....Americans are slaves to their STUFF! Look in some of these driveways (your homestate is even worse than mine) and you'll see 50k pickups, ATV's, boats, etc, etc...not to mention the oversized 2500 square foot homes for a family of 4. And the truth is, this stuff is purchased on long term credit in a situation in which if one wage earner in a home loses a job or gets sick, there is no contigency. They're gonna lose it all, or a good bit of it. This puts extreme pressue on a worker to pretty much put up with anything they're dealt at the job. That's the long and short of it.

You're right...it wasn't always this way and i remember when it wasn't. That's why i don't believe half of these posters when they claim that they can walk into a boss' office and negotiate a higher salary. Bullhockey. It ain't happening unless you're in the executive class. Most jobs will happily let you go if you get too big for your britches. There are few career fields in which one can't be replaced in a reasonable amount of time.
I bet it is a tough job. I clearly remember that ad about 5 years ago because of security reasons at National and I also live near it. This ad did mention that it was a contractor who was hiring.

86,052 posts, read 84,641,897 times
Quote:

You know like in RE there's "buyer's markets" and "seller's markets" where one side has the upper hand.
Same goes for the job market. We have a glut of employees (current/potential) so right now it's an "employer's market" where if you don't like the work there's literally thousands more who will gladly fill your shoes.

So the employees put up with it and spend their off time whining and complaining about it.
They stress out about it because financially they are trapped.

That takes its toll on your mental condition over time and if you have kids then it rubs off on them.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:38 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,763,451 times
Quote:
I was reading a piece on HuffPo that appeared to be a halfass joke, and the piece was sprinkled with some levity. The headline read: 17 Things Your Flight Attendant Won't Tell You.

Then it began to enumerate these 17 points. Pretty funny stuff until i read these two paragraphs:

If this is true, this is sad as hell. When did this country get this way?

We're to the point where some people are not only expected to work for free, but they're reduced to pulling off a horrible scheme just to make enough money to get by. SMH...i was absolutely furious when i read this piece.

People keep saying that we don't need unions, and if these attendants belong to unions, i sure as hell don't know what they're paying dues for. But if they aren't in a union, they damn sure need to form one.

But for all of you that say that if big business is left alone and we don't regulate them in any way, they'll do the right thing, this is obviously not the case.
If they have a union, they should fight it! And some wonder why people form/join unions.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:40 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,062,145 times
Quote:
Why not just pay them for their work and treat them like decent human beings? That's also an option, ya know.
I fully agree. But, I do not agree that the employer should be mandated to do such, by the government.

Let the market rule. If the airline won't satisfy the flight attendants, they will leave. If the airline decides that their skills and contribution are valuable to the company, they will pay them accordingly.

Have the flight attendents asked for a pay scheme change?

You also didn't mention which airline this involved. I don't fly much, but I can guarantee that the airline I choose when I do is not this particular airline. My airline treats its employees very well.

But it would weaken your argument if you had to say that this was an isolated incident, wouldn't it?

Old 12-30-2012, 12:43 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,763,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

Really? They are crybabies for wanting paid for doing their jobs? WOW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies