Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 12:43 PM

1,346 posts, read 3,076,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
If they have a union, they should fight it! And some wonder why people form/join unions.
Exactly.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You know like in RE there's "buyer's markets" and "seller's markets" where one side has the upper hand.
Same goes for the job market. We have a glut of employees (current/potential) so right now it's an "employer's market" where if you don't like the work there's literally thousands more who will gladly fill your shoes.

So the employees put up with it and spend their off time whining and complaining about it.
They stress out about it because financially they are trapped.

That takes its toll on your mental condition over time and if you have kids then it rubs off on them.
I understand that HappyTex...i get the economic arguments.

However, what's so damn hard about just treating the people YOU DO HIRE fairly? What's wrong with paying people for the work they do instead of trying to get free work out of them to the point where they're hatching hairbrained schemes to make overtime? That's gonna cost the company too! Hell, it might be more expensive than just doing the right thing and paying the people for the work they do in the first place.

Moreover, employee turnover is very expensive.

That points to an even larger issue that the American business model is a joke and isn't very long term in its thinking (apology for the pathetic fallacy). It's cheaper to retain good employees if you treat them well than mistreating them, having them badmouth you as an employer, and ultimately quitting.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:46 PM

8,631 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Really? They are crybabies for wanting paid for doing their jobs? WOW
Especially a job that can literally go down in flames.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:47 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
IIf this is true, this is sad as hell. When did this country get this way?
I guess when the airline hostess had her union collectively bargain that agreement.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
I fully agree. But, I do not agree that the employer should be mandated to do such, by the government.

Let the market rule. If the airline won't satisfy the flight attendants, they will leave. If the airline decides that their skills and contribution are valuable to the company, they will pay them accordingly.

Have the flight attendents asked for a pay scheme change?

You also didn't mention which airline this involved. I don't fly much, but I can guarantee that the airline I choose when I do is not this particular airline. My airline treats its employees very well.

But it would weaken your argument if you had to say that this was an isolated incident, wouldn't it?
You're all over the place, but i'll condense the salient points you made.

Doesn't matter which airline, and the name of the airline wasn't mentioned. That tells me that this is industry wide, or the company wouldn't be doing it. The piece was more of a generic piece, not about any particular airline company. It's meant to be about the industry in general.

If the government doesn't make these folks do the right thing (and the government clearly isn't), then you're dead ass wrong because the market isn't working in this case. So it's ironic that you're talking about weakened arguments when you just torpedoed your own.

Lastly, "your airline?" Please. I fly a hell of a lot, and i have no idea how well the employees are treated, and neither do you.

Truth is, anyone with their ears to the street knows that the airlines have been engaging in some pretty bad employment practices overall. When that plane crashed in Buffalo, a whole lot about their practices came out. But it wasn't news to me...i'd heard it already a million times.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
I guess when the airline hostess had her union collectively bargain that agreement.
The piece didn't say they belonged to a union. So there is no need to speculate on that.

My point is why not treat them fairly whether they belong to a union or not? I can understand being tough in a negotiation, but since when do employers expect people to work for free? That's acceptable to you? Cuz it damn sure isn't to me.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:57 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,716,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The piece didn't say they belonged to a union. So there is no need to speculate on that.

My point is why not treat them fairly whether they belong to a union or not? I can understand being tough in a negotiation, but since when do employers expect people to work for free? That's acceptable to you? Cuz it damn sure isn't to me.
No it's not.

I expect her to hire an attorney and file a class action lawsuit. Attorneys work for contingency and she'd seem to have a fine case.

If she doesn't I think she's crazy and doubt the veracity of the story.

That's if she's not in a union though.

If she is, vote out her union leaders and renegotiate the contract first opportunity.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:59 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Here's the full ( I think) article or a variation thereof:

10 Shocking Secrets of Flight Attendants - Mental Floss

Used to be that airlines forced retirement of flight attendants at the earliest of marriage or age 32. Now days, there are many with 60+ years of service, usually found on long haul flights.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/18/us...anted=all&_r=0

Old 12-30-2012, 01:01 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Some pilots make as little as $24,000 dollars a year, I believe the co-pilot of the plane that crashed in Buffalo, killing all aboard, made even less, while the pilot made around that.

This is an excellent look at the airline industry and how little they want to pay their pilots. A bit frightening if you do much flying.

Watch The Full Program | Flying Cheap | FRONTLINE | PBS

Old 12-30-2012, 01:14 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,063,483 times
Quote:
6. IF YOU TRY TO SNEAK A DEAD BODY ONTO A PLANE, WE WILL NOTICE.
Back when I was living in Russia, my third-cousin died. Unfortunately, transporting him back to the Chechnya was both expensive and technically illegal at the time (because of the war). So me and 5 other family members cut his body into pieces and wrapped pieces in mint, rosemary, basically any herb we could get our hands on. Put them in plastic bags and newspapers and distributed it between the 6 of us and carried it on with the carry on luggage.

This was before all the checks by airlines.

We flew from Moscow to Vladikavkaz and snuck into Chechnya and buried his body with his relatives.

I didn't know others attempted that. I used to joke about this with my American friends who all think I'm crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies