Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: White People in America Get Advantages That Black People Do Not Get
True. 34 54.84%
False. 27 43.55%
I don't know. 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 PM

397 posts, read 257,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
So is the myth of "The White Advantage" true or not?
I see the poll may not have the result some thought it would
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Are they black? Because your original question concerns black people -- not Asian immigrants.

But since you mention them, how about their employees? Do they employ a lot of people of similar ethnic backgrounds? If so, does that tend to prove or disprove my thesis that people -- including whites -- are most likely to hire and promote those who most resemble them?
The Laotian has a small print business outside of Cleveland that is probably 25% black by employees. I'd guess the suburb is about 30-35% black.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:17 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
It's a myth. Now there are certain areas that are lower income and have worse schools. And yes, lots of minorities tend to live there. You know what's also very prevalent in those areas? Voting democratic. Everyone from the school superintendent to the district reps are Democrat. Have been for a LONG LONG time.

In your traditional "higher" income areas what's a common denominator? Most (not all) tend to vote conservative.

Maybe it has something to do with economics than skin color? Skin color, while very important, cannot by itself affect policy, etc. Voting can.
Not really a lot the highest income areas in the country tend to be Democratic. Furthermore many of the lower income areas are Republican.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:17 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,772 times
i think the most glaring benefit of white privilege is getting the benefit of the doubt.

i think whites are viewed as innocent before guilty, while blacks are guilty until proven innocent.

you see this with stop and frisk, driving while black, shopping while black.

i myself am mixed (half white/half black). when i won the spelling bee back in 5th grade, the newspaper said the first biracial spelling bee district champion.

when i got pulled over for speeding, it said black on the form.

simply stating that when i mess up, whites will emphasize that i am black and pull away my whiteness.

when i do good things, whites emphasize my whiteness and pull away from my blackness.

similar thing happened in katrina. when a black guy was taking food, he was looting. when a white guy was taking food, he was trying to survive.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarius View Post
I see the poll may not have the result some thought it would
You have the power to read people's thoughts?
Wow...that means you may be a Superhero!

Old 01-02-2013, 12:20 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,782,603 times
How much is city data paying you guys to act like this? How can someone who knows politics not know white privilege?

This forum is funny, white denial when racism against minorities come up is always hilarious.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:20 PM

1,137 posts, read 972,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
So I guess you can list some of them here, right?
Sure.

Trillions of dollars wasted on unconstitutional social programs.

Government set asides for minority owned businesses.

Various affirmative action programs

Minority business enterprise programs

The minority business development agency

Ridiculous offices/departments of diversity in various levels of government. Racial diversity has never been proven to be beneficial to anyone or anything except the emotions of a few oversensitive morons.

The EEOC

Minority recruitment programs at colleges.

The list would be numerous pages long.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:22 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,429,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Not really a lot the highest income areas in the country tend to be Democratic.
Not from what I've seen, but if you look at the high-middle class areas, they're your conservative voters. There ARE a lot of very wealthy individuals that vote democratic. Hell, look at all the millionaire senators. Fortunately for them, at a point, public policy doesn't affect them. For the rest of the group that are hard working and successful, built from nothing, but aren't "wealthy", we tend to vote conservative. Even if it's not 95% conservative, it's at least a healthy division. Not 95% democratic.

Though the republican party isn't exactly "conservative" anymore either. They're both one in the same. It's time for a third party.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
i think the most glaring benefit of white privilege is getting the benefit of the doubt.

i think whites are viewed as innocent before guilty, while blacks are guilty until proven innocent.

you see this with stop and frisk, driving while black, shopping while black.

i myself am mixed (half white/half black). when i won the spelling bee back in 5th grade, the newspaper said the first biracial spelling bee district champion.

when i got pulled over for speeding, it said black on the form.

simply stating that when i mess up, whites will emphasize that i am black and pull away my whiteness.

when i do good things, whites emphasize my whiteness and pull away from my blackness.

similar thing happened in katrina. when a black guy was taking food, he was looting. when a white guy was taking food, he was trying to survive.
Great post. We see this with Obama with so many calling him "biracial" and "not just black".

Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 PM

397 posts, read 257,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Of course it's not a myth.

Because the political and economic power structure in this country is mostly white.

Which means that white people are more likely to get ahead in that power structure.

Which means their descendants are also more likely to remain ahead in that power structure.

Because connections are everything, and people with connections among the power élite -- which is mostly white -- have innate advantages compared to those who don't.

And the few existing programs whose intent is to level the playing field for historically disadvantaged minorities haven't even come close to changing that.

So if you're a white person who hasn't gotten ahead, don't blame the black man who you think got hired ahead of you (or, for that matter, the one in the White House) -- blame yourself. You really have no excuse.
This deserves an applause
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies