Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 09:22 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,011,664 times

Advertisements

According to my pay stub today, my pay is down some $80 per two weeks. Not unexpected.

After all, a nation cannot engage in two wars (resulting in massive increase in military spending) all the while cutting revenue by lowering tax rates, without the taxpayers paying the piper sooner or later. Since I am concerned about our 16 billion, and growing, deficit, I am all for increased taxes and paying it down.

And yes: we have to cut back on spending. No doubt. Military, entitlements, foreign aid, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 09:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
nah never paid attention really. gues it was my fault. guess i should hope to go on unemployment live free and maybe go on food stamps. but $87.00 how is that justified for a person making less than $40,000 grand a year. thats 173 month. more than my medical for 4 people..
Well then apply for food stamps..the stigma of it being for the poor is gone.
No one should starve because a temporary handout is gone and they came to depend on it.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Whether or not a person can or cannot afford something is irrelevant to how much they should or shouldn't be taxed. A fair tax applies an equal percentage to all people. A person should be able to trust the fact that they can actually retain the money they personally earn.

I am sorry, but how on earth is it a 'well run program', when the ROI is less than 1/4 of what you would get investing the same money in an index fund following the S&P? Retaining spending in the program rather than allowing individuals to spend that same tax money in investment portfolios prevents them from having higher returns, and you call this mess a 'well run program'? Good god the ignorance.
The 2% FICA reduction was temporary and there wasn't even discussions about it becoming permanent.
FICA is your future.

FICA does apply equally. It's a percentage..the more you make the more you pay up to the cap.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:28 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The 2% FICA reduction was temporary and there wasn't even discussions about it becoming permanent.
FICA is your future.

FICA does apply equally. It's a percentage..the more you make the more you pay up to the cap.
You yet again missed my point, and completely missed the post that I originally replied to. I was responding to padcrasher's attitude where he didn't care if someone paid more in taxes simply because they had a 90k/year salary. He had the attitude that, if a person makes a certain amount of money, they shouldn't care if they pay more in taxes. That is what I was responding to, and that is the attitude that I strongly disagree with.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:29 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Republicans opposed extending the payroll tax, so I doubt you will see it drop again barring any economic crisis. It is unfortunate, since those were one of the more stimulative tax cuts.
How far from reality are you? Payroll tax funds SS. The payroll tax hasn't been raised since clinton took office. And the yutes of this country continue to whine that the seniors are robbing the country? They ALREADY paid their's and now many don't want to. They paid the payroll tax hikes too and didn't complain. Now you are crying about it going back to where it was. It should have never been lowered in the first place. Who do you think is going to fund SS? Any of that money the evil rich have to pay now gong to SS?? NOPE. You folks want everything NOW and will be the first crying when you retire and it's all gone claiming how it's not fair. Unbelievable.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Oh man! Right winger says that if we take all the Billions of revenue in Social Security and play the market we will make 4 times what the return on investment is now on Social Security.

If you believe this you are a sucker of the highest degree........LOL

Hey right winger could you "source" your great idea?

Old 01-04-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You yet again missed my point, and completely missed the post that I originally replied to. I was responding to padcrasher's attitude where he didn't care if someone paid more in taxes simply because they had a 90k/year salary. He had the attitude that, if a person makes a certain amount of money, they shouldn't care if they pay more in taxes. That is what I was responding to, and that is the attitude that I strongly disagree with.
Yes I did, sorry about that. Yes, one should care about taxes regardless of what they make.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Oh man! Right winger says that if we take all the Billions of revenue in Social Security and play the market we will make 4 times what the return on investment is now on Social Security.

Yeah..the next big bubble..the stock market.
Right now that's where Uncle Ben's $80 billion per month is going.

Play the market indeed with the FICA money...

Old 01-04-2013, 09:36 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,442,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well then apply for food stamps..the stigma of it being for the poor is gone.
No one should starve because a temporary handout is gone and they came to depend on it.
your missing the whole point... they could have cut so many programs to avoid screwing over hard working people not just now but last year the year before, there are so many government funded programs that make no sense at all to keep funding. Here is just a few..

Government Waste: Science Spending Includes Massages For Rabbits, Meditation For Hot Flashes - Forbes

Old 01-04-2013, 09:38 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

For a person earning $43,100/year who turns 65 in 2030, he/she will pay $392,000 in tax and get $318,000 in benefits. If we add Medicare in the number turns to a total return of 19%. He/she pays $476,000 in tax and gets $569,000 in benefit.

This $476,000 equates to yearly tax paid of $11,333. If you were to take this amount and invest it in a portfolio earning a very reasonable market rate of 8%, that $11,333 invested yearly for 42 years with an 8% return would result in a total value of about $3,448,000. That is a total return of 624%.

So I apologize padcrasher, claiming it was 1/4 was incorrect, SS actually pays out dramatically less than that.

You aren't a big numbers guy, are you? Good god, look at actual facts every once in a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies