Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:24 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Here is what I am saying, Don't come off as saying that free enteprise is your god or mantra and then saying the government should protect one partical indutsry. The poster said that we should use government protection to aid MANUFACTURING only . What about other indutsries? I' in IT. Plenty of outsourcong is occurring in that sector. Ever call a tech support and get and Inidan fellow? Why is a diehard GOP calling for government intervention in only one market sector? Reconcile that!
Get a grip. I said manufacturing because the manufacturing base is the very category that built this country, powers this country, and will lift this country out of the doldrums. I really could care less about an Indian guy taking over IT at the moment. First things first. When we start building things again, then we can focus on who comes to the aid of someone's dead desktop computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:34 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,496,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Get a grip. I said manufacturing because the manufacturing base is the very category that built this country, powers this country, and will lift this country out of the doldrums. I really could care less about an Indian guy taking over IT at the moment. First things first. When we start building things again, then we can focus on who comes to the aid of someone's dead desktop computer.
What is your argruement? First things first? Easy question. Do you beleive in free markets or not? Is you definition of a free market only within the contraints of a singular country? It seems what your definition of a free market is that business can do what it wants unless it crosses geogrpahical boundries and then government should get involved. That by nature is against the prinicapls of a free market.

Either you belive in free markets or not. By your own words you have said you do not. Moreover, you equivocate and say some industries should be protected and some not.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
What is your argruement? First things first? Easy question. Do you beleive in free markets or not? Is you definition of a free market only within the contraints of a singular country? It seems what your definition of a free market is that business can do what it wants unless it crosses geogrpahical boundries and then government should get involved. That by nature is against the prinicapls of a free market.

Either you belive in free markets or not. By your own words you have said you do not. Moreover, you equivocate and say some industries should be protected and some not.
You're absolutely right. I DO NOT condone the United States government getting fiscally involved in business dealings simply because a company does business overseas. If a company wants to do business overseas with operations on foreign soil, then it should do so at its own risk and under the pretense that the market will allow it to participate. This should NOT include taxpayer subsidies, credits, etc.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
You're absolutely right. I DO NOT condone the United States government getting fiscally involved in business dealings simply because that company does business overseas. If a company wants to do business overseas on foreign soil, then it should do so at its own risk and under the pretense that the market will allow it to participate. This should NOT include taxpayer subsidies, credits, etc.
But YOU said we should give preferntial treatmemt to manufaturers in THIS country. Are you now going back on this statement?

Old 01-03-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
But YOU said we should give preferntial treatmemt to manufaturers in THIS country. Are you now going back on this statement?
What exactly do you not understand? I support tax credits for manufacturing in the United States in order to bring back a robust manufacturing sector. I DO NOT support tax credits for US corporations operating on foreign soil. Whatever corner you're trying to paint me into is not working.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
What exactly do you not understand? I support tax credits for manufacturing in the United States. I DO NOT support tax credits for US corporations operating on foreign soil.
I am talking FREE market. You seem to define free market in the confines of the USA. And you are saying that the US Government should protect US interests even if that viloates a free market system. So basically you are saying you support a non-free market system. It is really simple. You choose to ignore it. Then you specifically get really hyprocitical and say we should only protect manufacturing against foreign competion. These are not my words but yours. Search the thread and any one can see this. My point is that almost all so called free marketers love it until the point they find that they can not compete. Then they call in the government.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:04 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,347,425 times
Quote:
It's called the "Active Financing Exception" and the White House endorsed (some have said "insisted on") its inclusion into the fiscal cliff deal.

'Active financing' exemption for some businesses to cost taxpayers $9 billion

So, let me get this straight. Liberals spend the past 12 years crying over Big Money, Big Profits, Big Corporations, Offshore Accounts, One Percenters, etc. and yet they stay quiet when their President agrees to allow the Big Corporations to continue to off shore profits to avoid paying taxes?

Liberals, it's time to do some explaining lest you appear to be hypocrits of the highest order.
I didn't realize that we were still in 2010........(hopefully others figured this out before wasting time on it)

Old 01-03-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I am talking FREE market. You seem to define free market in the confines of the USA. And you are saying that the US Government should protect US interests even if that viloates a free market system. So basically you are saying you support a non-free market system. It is really simple. You choose to ignore it. Then you specifically get really hyprocitical and say we should only protect manufacturing against foreign competion. These are not my words but yours. Search the thread and any one can see this. My point is that almost all so called free marketers love it until the point they find that they can not compete. Then they call in the government.
I'm guessing you're around 23 years old or so. You have not the faintest clue about HISTORY....about how this country was built. I'll give you a hint: It has ZERO to do with IT. It has EVERYTHING to do with manufacturing. I could give a rats ass about "free market principles" and protecting globalism just because it exists. It's time to invest in AMERICA if we ever intend to get this country back on track. Does that mean abandoning the idea of a globalist society? No. It means taking care of our own before we bend over backwards for certain countries and certain corporations.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
I didn't realize that we were still in 2010........(hopefully others figured this out before wasting time on it)
2010? What are you referring to?

Old 01-03-2013, 09:50 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
2010? What are you referring to?
Your link dated 12/23/10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies