Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 08:23 AM

1,469 posts, read 1,807,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Not being a single mother keeps single women out of poverty...

Say that to the ladies who was married thinking they were going to be with their partner forever and they get divorced and he leaves her, or he starts beating her, or he dies unexpectedly. Yea it's their fault right? They should go ahead and put their children up for adoption since that happened to them or hurry up and marry the next guy that takes an interest in her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 11:40 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,647,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
Say that to the ladies who was married thinking they were going to be with their partner forever and they get divorced and he leaves her, or he starts beating her, or he dies unexpectedly. Yea it's their fault right? They should go ahead and put their children up for adoption since that happened to them or hurry up and marry the next guy that takes an interest in her?
Thinking someone else will always take care of you is a really poor plan. Every woman should be capable of taking care of her kids. She owes them that much.

Old 01-05-2013, 02:13 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,312,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well they don't want the government actually taking over the companies because that would be "communism". They just want the government to make all the rules the companies have to follow.

What they want IS communism but they haven't gone full blown advocating nationalization..YET.
So would it make you feel better to have companies paying employees peanuts to work for them and having to rely on government for housing and food or is that something you would rather do with a cardboard box and a grilled rat on your own with no government interference?

Old 01-05-2013, 04:46 PM

8,923 posts, read 5,415,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post

While putting more money in billionaire's pockets will boost the economy, putting more money in the pockets of the working class by giving them a living wage is communism.
I don't know about others, but I generally don't go around stuffing money into billionaire's pockets for entertainment. Does anyone else have this new-fangled hobby?

Old 01-05-2013, 04:48 PM

11,196 posts, read 10,777,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
I don't know about others, but I generally don't go around stuffing money into billionaire's pockets for entertainment. Does anyone else have this new-fangled hobby?
Not in the working class world. That's a hobby that can only be indulged at the government level, apparently

Old 01-05-2013, 07:17 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,687,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Thinking someone else will always take care of you is a really poor plan. Every woman should be capable of taking care of her kids. She owes them that much.
Exactly! I understand that people go through difficult times. I don't mind helping a domestic violence victim, young widow, or a woman who is going through a tough divorce, but I think if a woman finds herself in this situation, she needs to do what she can to take care of her family whether that be going to school to learn new skills or whatever. A lot of women in this group are women I admire because I often see them finding the strength to get through a difficult time. They usually do pull themselves together and remain strong for the kids, even if it means she has to work 2 jobs to pay the rent.

I do think there are also single mothers who carelessly have sex and have put themselves into poverty. These are the ones who seem to be taking advantage of the various welfare systems far more often than the group I mentioned above. This has been my experience anyway.

As far as minimum wage is concerned, I remember that when I worked at Walmart, minimum wage was $6.15 an hour or something like that. They offered full-time hours to a lot of workers. Now, that minimum wage is $7.25 an hour, you rarely see a retail store like Walmart offering full-time hours to anyone other than management. Most workers at Walmart now only work like 20 hours a week or something like that. Therefore, $6.15 * 40=246 before taxes. $7.25 *20=145 before taxes. That being said, I am wondering who really benefits from raising the minimum wage, the employee or the employer?

Old 01-05-2013, 07:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,988,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Not sure what you mean here. I can't buy a home (insufficient income, etc), and if I can't buy a home I can't get a homestead exemption.

My home is my primary (and only) residence, is it my fault I don't own it? If it's not my fault, why should the taxes be higher?
if you are renting, then you are not paying property taxes directly, your landlord is, and thus they are not eligible for a homestead exemption.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:05 PM

8,923 posts, read 5,415,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Not in the working class world. That's a hobby that can only be indulged at the government level, apparently
I seriously doubt the government does it for entertainment value alone. I don't either; when I choose to put money in a billionaire's pockets it's generally because they provide something I want.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:12 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,715,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Raising Minimum Wage Lifts Single Mothers Out of Poverty and Boosts U.S. Economy, Policy Report Shows

A fast-food manager was taking to his crew, a dozen people standing around him.

He said, "I have good news, and I have bad news.

"The good news is, the new Federal minimum-wage laws say I have to pay you more.

"The bad news is, I can't afford that, so two of you are fired."

Somebody remind me, how has the single mother who got fired, "lifted out of poverty"?
More minimum wage means more sales of Fast Food. there will be a new fast food place opening soon which will hire that single mother. if the fast food manager can fire 2 people without affecting his profits, he would have fired her anyways not waiting for minimum wage to rise.
Not everyone is Uncle Tom happy to be a slave on a plantation just becoz CEO can buy a new yacht.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:15 PM

29,637 posts, read 16,669,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Worker makes $10 an hour they pay $10 for item.

Worker makes $20 an hour they pay $20 for same item.

Worker makes $1,000,000 an hour they pay $1,000,000 dollar for same item.

If you want to increase your pay you need to increase the vlaue of your labor. It's not going to change by increasing the dollar amount.
Republican logic that has been debunked .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies