Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,628,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Republican logic that has been debunked .
Do explain how you can raise wages and not raise prices. Where does the money come from for the higher wages? The magic money tree in the back yard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 08:23 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,517,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Exactly! I understand that people go through difficult times. I don't mind helping a domestic violence victim, young widow, or a woman who is going through a tough divorce, but I think if a woman finds herself in this situation, she needs to do what she can to take care of her family whether that be going to school to learn new skills or whatever. A lot of women in this group are women I admire because I often see them finding the strength to get through a difficult time. They usually do pull themselves together and remain strong for the kids, even if it means she has to work 2 jobs to pay the rent.

I do think there are also single mothers who carelessly have sex and have put themselves into poverty. These are the ones who seem to be taking advantage of the various welfare systems far more often than the group I mentioned above. This has been my experience anyway.

As far as minimum wage is concerned, I remember that when I worked at Walmart, minimum wage was $6.15 an hour or something like that. They offered full-time hours to a lot of workers. Now, that minimum wage is $7.25 an hour, you rarely see a retail store like Walmart offering full-time hours to anyone other than management. Most workers at Walmart now only work like 20 hours a week or something like that. Therefore, $6.15 * 40=246 before taxes. $7.25 *20=145 before taxes. That being said, I am wondering who really benefits from raising the minimum wage, the employee or the employer?
I keep hearing about the woman. What about the man? What I see more often than not it is the woman that stays with kids and not the man. People bash on the woman for being the single mom but where is the man in all of this?

Old 01-05-2013, 08:51 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,810,370 times
A fast-food manager was taking to his crew, a dozen people standing around him.

He said, "I have good news, and I have bad news.

"The good news is, the new Federal minimum-wage laws say I have to pay you more.

"The bad news is, I can't afford that, so two of you are fired."

Old 01-05-2013, 09:27 PM

657 posts, read 697,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

"The good news is, the new Federal minimum-wage laws say I have to pay you more.

This is awesome. The other way around the issue is simply raising prises to offset the raise. The whole minimum wage thing is a scam.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:39 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,517,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

And another possibility is that the fired workers walked across the street and worked for a competing fast food chain that was willing to take less profits and provide better wages and services. And the first operation went under due to their own greed.

Now if you don't buy into this scenario then you subscribe to a very cynical view that business owners will always operate in a way that makes them the most profitable regardless of the effects on its workers.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 PM

11,180 posts, read 10,763,635 times
Quote:
How do you debunk reality?

Old 01-05-2013, 09:45 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,518,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Do explain how you can raise wages and not raise prices. Where does the money come from for the higher wages? The magic money tree in the back yard?
1.Employ less people.
2.Slow production.
3.Move to a place where the law is no in effect.
4.Eat the costs.

Raising prices is normally not an option because your competitors won't raise their prices.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:53 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,395,356 times
Quote:
I didn't know liberals considered covering your ears and yelling "nah nah nah nah" debunking. Thanks for clearing that up, it explains a lot.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:43 PM

29,637 posts, read 16,650,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
How do you debunk reality?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
I didn't know liberals considered covering your ears and yelling "nah nah nah nah" debunking. Thanks for clearing that up, it explains a lot.
Quote:
because the only way to offset wage increases is to increases prices? You couldnt possibly find more cost effective ways to run your business, You also couldnt be like Costco and simply pay your workers better and have lower prices than your main competitors and have a higher turn over rate, silly me, those things just arent possible.

You know why Best Buy workers are paid so much better in certain locations, SELLING MORE. Turn over matters to many companies, if you beat sales projections then your department gets a raise. not a skill job but apparently they are valued far more than people like you think.

The republican argument is that if everyone was paid 2 dollars an hour everything would be cheaper, but by your own argument they wouldnt, they would just move with the ratio and things that involved skill labor would actually cost more.

also, you can look at how far a dollar can take you compared to 30 years ago just to destroy your argument. Minimum wage has actually gone down in the sense of buying power.

Do you need links, I can get you some and yes, they will be from Mother Jones, MSNBC, ThinkProgress, and The Nation.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:05 AM

33,012 posts, read 27,552,063 times
Quote:

Very simple. All my employer has to do is spend 10 weeks globetrotting this year instead of his usual 12 weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies