Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 08:43 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,291,785 times

Advertisements

Most people are unaware that the laws concerning your rights have changed since 9/11. A ruling by the Supreme Court recently stated that a crime suspect's words could be used against him if he failed to clearly invoke his rights clearly and, instead, answered a single question.
In addition the court said that a citizen must invoke his rights. If he fails to do so, anything he says can be used to convict him.
What this means is literally the Supreme Court is telling you in any contact with police you should provide identification, insurance, registration as required by law and nothing more unless you are represented by legal counsel.
There is no such thing as a friendly talk with a police officer. If an officer is talking to you he is attempting to establish evidence against you.
Let the police officer do all the talking and you stay silent. The Supreme Court has recently ruled that you should NOT talk to a police officer without a lawyer and you must say out loud "I'm going to remain silent."

The Supreme Court has ruled that if a police officer doesn't force you to do something, then you're doing it "voluntarily." That means if the police officer starts being intimidating and you do what he "ask" because you're "afraid," you still have done it voluntarily. (Florida v. Bostick, 1991) If you do what the police officer "ask" you to do such as allowing him to search your car or answer any of his questions, you are 'voluntarily' complying with his 'requests.' So don't comply, just keep your mouth shut unless you say "Am I Free to Go?" or "I don't consent to a search."

The only words you should ever say to a police officer are "Am I free to go" "I am going to remain silent" and "I do not consent to a search".

Will this make them angry? Yes. Are you willing to stand up and risk someone getting angry with you to protect the Bill of Rights, and the freedom that so many have fought and died for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 08:47 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,586,090 times
Pretty good advice.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:53 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,520,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
If an officer is talking to you he is attempting to establish evidence against you.
This is all that needs to be read from the OP. If you can't understand what this means and then realize the importance of your rights as a citizen, you are doomed.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:59 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,880 times
I guess my "lights on" moment on this subject came a number of years ago when I learned that when any member of law enforcement (officers, detectives, beat cops, prosecutors etc...) is talking to you (outside of sworn testimony in court) they can lie to you about anything, tell you wild stories with no truth in them, and tell you flat out bold faced lies in their mission to get you scared into talking and not involking your right to remain silent.

This is when I first realized that unfortunately, you can't and SHOULDN'T belive anything that law enforcement tells you if you're detained or arrested for any reason.......whether you're innocent or guilty.....but especially if you're innocent. Regardless of how simple or innocuous the questions they are asking you....they ARE attempting to build a case against you can bet that every word you say can and will be used against you.

Prior to my afore mentioned "lights on" moment mentioned above, I had, in my naivety, previously believed that members of law enforcement would certainly be exptected to be truthful when speaking to you in any official capacity. Aparantly while you're expected to be truthful when speaking to them....they are held to no such standard when speaking to you. I believe that this situation should be changed....but I don't really expect that to happen any time soon. I would think law enforcement should be involved in a search for the truth of any given matter.....lying by one party seems to be a strange way to get to the truth of the entire situation. If I'm lying to my neighbor all the time....why would I expect him to be telling me the truth all the time ? A culture built on lies....will just create more distrust and more lies all around. Karma may even come into this.....you tell lies, you better expect lies back at some point.

And we wonder why we live in such a cynical society.....because it's the one we've allowed to happen. The very people we've put in charge (elected officials and law enforcement) seemingly are able to lie to us at will and with impunity.

Last edited by jasper1372; 01-05-2013 at 10:17 AM..

Old 01-05-2013, 10:02 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,085,613 times
I have never had any problems with cops. What are all you guys doing that makes you so paranoid?

Old 01-05-2013, 10:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Never talk to the cops no matter how innocent you are , you should watch this:

Dont Talk to Police - YouTube

Old 01-05-2013, 10:15 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
I have never had any problems with cops. What are all you guys doing that makes you so paranoid?
As a former local LEO who has several active and retired LEO family and friends. Never talk to law enforcement in a offical capacity without representation. EVER.

Let me put it to you this way. LEO's should never talk to LEO's conducting internal investigations without at least union representation. It's their right and it's the law.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:26 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Just bacause something doesn't directly affect me presently....doesn't mean I shouldn't be concerned about it if I think what is happening now and affecting others is wrong. If we allow such things to go unchallenged....because they don't currently affect us personally......that's a pretty selfish attitude and left unchallended (things tend to grown when unchallenged) and to it's own devices, it may eventually come up and bite you too.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
As a former local LEO who has several active and retired LEO family and friends. Never talk to law enforcement in a offical capacity without representation. EVER.
That doesn't answer my question.

It merely restates the assertion I'm questioning.

Old 01-05-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Just bacause something doesn't directly affect me presently....doesn't mean I shouldn't be concerned about it if I think what is happening now and affecting others is wrong.
That doesn't even begin to pretend to answer the question.

This thread explicitly sets up law enforcement as some sort of general enemy of ordinary people. From my perspective it is a bizarre position to take, and I'm simply trying to figure out what it is that makes so many folks here feel that way.

I have never had an experience with any law enforcement person that would lead me to reach such a conclusion. So I'm just trying to figure out what makes you different in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372
If we allow such things to go unchallenged....because they don't currently affect us personally......that's a pretty selfish attitude and left unchallended (things tend to grown when unchallenged) and to it's own devices, it may eventually come up and bite you too.
As far as I am aware, I have never been lied to by a cop. When were you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies