Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 02:47 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times

Advertisements

What got me thinking of this was two things:

1) The steady drumbeat of gratuitous violence that is churned out every week in movie theaters everywhere.

2) A recent report I heard on Bollywood movies, and the possible effect they have on women in India, where incidents of rape and molestation are high, and that Bollywood movies are often characterized by 'persistent' male characters that stalk and harass the beautiful female lead, where she eventually gives in to their demands and the male lead 'gets the girl' in the end. Some believe this reinforces a 'no means yes' mentality among men in society.

If Hollywood desensitizes people to violence, is there anything that should be done about this, or is it just providing what people want? I guess it is one thing of this crap is what people want to see, but it is another if half of all new releases are full of people getting blown away. Between movies, video games, rap videos and the real stuff (Iraq and Afghanistan) kids are thrilled by gun violence.

Our culture has led us down this road, and now we are seeing it bear fruit. We should not be surprised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 02:55 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,674,263 times
Maybe you have it backwards, in the sense that Hollywood is a reflection of us?

These things happen. Since that is what we're doing, that is what we see in the media?

Old 01-06-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Maybe you have it backwards, in the sense that Hollywood is a reflection of us?

These things happen. Since that is what we're doing, that is what we see in the media?
Perhaps. It is hard to say which is dependent on the other here. I guess when you give in to gun violence as part of normal life, then this is what you get.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:11 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
I think these movies dull the senses and are certainly more to blame for the violence than any gun. The mind is a terrible thing to waste by watching this trash. Hollywood needs to clean up its act and the government certainly does not need to aid these people by giving them tax dollars.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:15 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,641,451 times
I would say, conclusively, no. That's because those films get exported abroad, to countries such as Japan and South Korea and Taiwan. If they were capable of causing people to act violently, why don't we see that reflected in the crime rates of those nations, along with many others?

Old 01-06-2013, 03:18 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Does Hollywood Have Any Responsibility For Gun Violence in America?
No. Hollywood has no responsibility whatsoever for the actions of individuals who make the conscious choice to commit violent acts. There is a little concept called "personal responsibility" which is the deciding factor.

As for those who complain that violent movies, television shows, and video games are "corrupting" our children, once again the responsibility to make sure that those children are not influenced by Hollywood comes down squarely on the shoulders of the parents. If you don't feel that your child is mature enough to distinguish between real life and the fictional portrayals in a Hollywood production, don't allow them to watch questionable programming.

Sorry, but trying to blame Hollywood for our violent culture is just another way of saying that individuals don't have any responsibility for their own actions, and I'm not buying into that one.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:55 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,422,622 times
R-rated films weren't even considered the norm until the 70's, and many of those films would be re-rated PG or PG-13 if they were released today, yet violent crime was significantly worse during those years.

IOW, blaming Hollywood, or any form of entertainment, for real-life violence = baseless.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I would say, conclusively, no. That's because those films get exported abroad, to countries such as Japan and South Korea and Taiwan. If they were capable of causing people to act violently, why don't we see that reflected in the crime rates of those nations, along with many others?
Do you know what the rate of gun ownership is in those countries?

Don't compare apples to oranges.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:05 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,073,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
No. Hollywood has no responsibility whatsoever for the actions of individuals who make the conscious choice to commit violent acts. There is a little concept called "personal responsibility" which is the deciding factor.

As for those who complain that violent movies, television shows, and video games are "corrupting" our children, once again the responsibility to make sure that those children are not influenced by Hollywood comes down squarely on the shoulders of the parents. If you don't feel that your child is mature enough to distinguish between real life and the fictional portrayals in a Hollywood production, don't allow them to watch questionable programming.

Sorry, but trying to blame Hollywood for our violent culture is just another way of saying that individuals don't have any responsibility for their own actions, and I'm not buying into that one.
Agreed. I still love the 1980's moives - every Schwartznegger, Willis, Stallone, Van Damme, Snipes, Segal movie with all their shooting, explosions, car smashes, martial arts, and general gratuitous violence and mayhem. I watched them, and both of my boys watched them.

I'm not violent and neither are the boys. They were raised with discipline, morals, respect, self-respect, and parental involvment and support. There is NO substitue for that. We can blame guns and video games and rap music and violent movies all day long. Until parents realize (again) and accept (again) that the most important job and responsbility they will ever have in their lives is to raise their children, mass shootings by lost souls will not stop.

Don't look to Hollywood. Look in the mirror.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:12 PM

657 posts, read 695,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
What got me thinking of this was two things:

1) The steady drumbeat of gratuitous violence that is churned out every week in movie theaters everywhere.

2) A recent report I heard on Bollywood movies, and the possible effect they have on women in India, where incidents of rape and molestation are high, and that Bollywood movies are often characterized by 'persistent' male characters that stalk and harass the beautiful female lead, where she eventually gives in to their demands and the male lead 'gets the girl' in the end. Some believe this reinforces a 'no means yes' mentality among men in society.

If Hollywood desensitizes people to violence, is there anything that should be done about this, or is it just providing what people want? I guess it is one thing of this crap is what people want to see, but it is another if half of all new releases are full of people getting blown away. Between movies, video games, rap videos and the real stuff (Iraq and Afghanistan) kids are thrilled by gun violence.

Our culture has led us down this road, and now we are seeing it bear fruit. We should not be surprised.
Yes they are, more than any other institution.

But the media is communist so they will never go after them. We are in deep trouble in the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies