Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 07:53 AM

10,028 posts, read 9,501,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
To whom? People here (on both sides) are coming down exactly where they would have if you had merely asked their opinions of Maher or Trump with no ape involved. Both of them have scored with their own audiences, and neither has improved their image with the other.

All that aside... I would still love to see Trump actually sue Maher. Because then we actually would eventually end up with a loser.

And according to the judges I spoke with last night... that will be Trump.
Trump mentioned specific charities the money would go to, so Maher will look like a jerk if he doesn't pay. Everyone knows it's a stupid joke, but in this case Trump played it well. I'm sure he realizes he can't win at trial, and doesn't need to sue in order to make Maher look bad, which he did.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:32 AM

26,562 posts, read 14,436,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Everyone knows it's a stupid joke,......
yes, exactly. there was never a legitimate offer on the table.

Quote:
I'm sure he realizes he can't win at trial, and doesn't need to sue in order to make Maher look bad, which he did.
as both myself and historian dude have pointed out this will absolutely make maher look bad....... in the eyes of those that already hate him. to those who like maher or are apathetic towards him (myself) will see this as trump trying to collect on an offer that was never meant to be taken seriously ( which you seem to agree that it was never a serious offer ).

Old 01-11-2013, 09:36 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,674,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
just when i thought birtherism couldn't get more comical:

Yahoo News exclusive: Trump releases birth certificate to Bill Maher, demands $5M | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

i doubt any court would find maher's joke a legally binding offer but...... i'm definitely curious to see how this progresses. my guess is that trump has opened the flood gates for more late night fodder.

one point of interest: trump released a NY certification of birth, the short form, the very thing he claimed was not legal proof of birth for obama.
Both his parents are dead, it's a bit insulting to Don and his dear departed mother. This is just more mean-spirited personal attacks, for purely politically partisan reasons, disguised as comedy. It's the new cowardly way libs debate politics, they hide behind their hands and say it's all just comedy.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:39 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,674,750 times
Quote:
yes, exactly. there was never a legitimate offer on the table.

as both myself and historian dude have pointed out this will absolutely make maher look bad....... in the eyes of those that already hate him. to those who like maher or are apathetic towards him (myself) will see this as trump trying to collect on an offer that was never meant to be taken seriously ( which you seem to agree that it was never a serious offer ).
Won't stop trump from draining away Maher's money, by defending himself against Trump in court.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:47 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,120 times
I doubt it will ever actually go to court. Trump has made Maher look like the fool he is, Maher will offer a substantial amount to one of Trump's charities, and Trump will say, "deal!"

One way or the other, Maher will have to put his money where his mouth is.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Both his parents are dead, it's a bit insulting to Don and his dear departed mother.
it's absolutely insulting toward trump, still doesn't change the legal status.

Quote:
It's the new cowardly way libs debate politics, they hide behind their hands and say it's all just comedy.
do you honestly believe the exact same thing doesn't happen on the conservative side of the political spectrum?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I doubt it will ever actually go to court.
agreed, altho i wish it would.

Quote:
.....Maher will offer a substantial amount to one of Trump's charities, and Trump will say, "deal!"

One way or the other, Maher will have to put his money where his mouth is.
unlikely.

it will be fun to revisit this thread as things progress.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Won't stop trump from draining away Maher's money, by defending himself against Trump in court.
possibly. unless maher wins a counter claim against trump for legal fees.

as VLHW pointed out "Everyone knows it's a stupid joke,....". for trump to win the counter claim he'd have to prove that maher's offer seemed legitimate and not a joke. trump would literally be arguing that there is cause for a "reasonable person" to believe that there is the possibility that he is the spawn of an orangutan.

i can't see trump doing that....... but, you never know. the man has surprised me in his desire for attention.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Why is it so hard for morons to understand that orangutans have nothing to do with it? It could have been a rock, a plant, a dog, a giraffe. .
yes, it could have also been a rock, a plant, a dog or a giraffe and still had the same legal ramifications as an orangutan. all are (relatively) equal in the absurdity of being the father of donald trump. the orangutan plays a crucial part in this scenario only in the fact that it's an impossibility therefor cannot be taken seriously and any case that trump might have rest solely on the belief that a "reasonable person" would take the offer seriously.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:33 AM

569 posts, read 671,157 times
Quote:
possibly. unless maher wins a counter claim against trump for legal fees.

as VLHW pointed out "Everyone knows it's a stupid joke,....". for trump to win the counter claim he'd have to prove that maher's offer seemed legitimate and not a joke. trump would literally be arguing that there is cause for a "reasonable person" to believe that there is the possibility that he is the spawn of an orangutan.

i can't see trump doing that....... but, you never know. the man has surprised me in his desire for attention.
What I think is funny about all of this is Trump had to pay his lawyer to send a letter to Maher. Should have just ignored it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.