Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 02:28 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,430,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Just yesterday my wife, who voted for Obama, called me from work and complained that were taking more money out of her check. I just said "well, babe, you got what you voted for"

Yes. Because Romney and Congressional Republicans would have worked so hard to extend the payroll tax break, right? Just like the Republicans begged and screamed for an extension of the tax break for another year, right?

Payroll Tax Cut: Obama, Romney Quiet On Break Set To Expire For 163 Million Workers

Oh wait:

Last year Speaker John Boehner, the leading Republican in the House of Representatives, suffered through a revolt by ultra-conservative Republicans opposing the cut. They argued cutting the payroll tax would add to the deficit and hurt the retirement program it helps finance.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8BB1UC20121212

You guys are so full of Obamahate that you don't even align with your own champions in government anymore!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 02:30 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,224,736 times
Democrats asking why their paychecks are smaller.

Pffffft ! ! It's their O'Bomba Fee.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
Had I known, it would not have mattered. The tax holiday was ending, regardless of the election outcome. It had an expiration date set. I did not vote for either of the popular candidates, and I doubt my vote would have changed this. My point really is that most of us are not reading deeply enough into the fiscal issues and economic policies at hand, and mainstream media chooses to focus on lighter, fluffier, sexier things that actually attract attention. No excuse, but it's true.
You're right. The MSM just touches on it but doesn't go too much into depth.
It's the other sites that go into the details of bills but everyone usually poo-poos them off as "not official MSM". So be it then. Let them learn of it after the fact.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:50 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,173,528 times
It's Bush's fault!

Old 01-09-2013, 02:51 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,469,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yes. Because Romney and Congressional Republicans would have worked so hard to extend the payroll tax break, right? Just like the Republicans begged and screamed for an extension of the tax break for another year, right?

Payroll Tax Cut: Obama, Romney Quiet On Break Set To Expire For 163 Million Workers

Oh wait:

Last year Speaker John Boehner, the leading Republican in the House of Representatives, suffered through a revolt by ultra-conservative Republicans opposing the cut. They argued cutting the payroll tax would add to the deficit and hurt the retirement program it helps finance.

Some Republicans could cede payroll tax cut to Obama | Reuters

You guys are so full of Obamahate that you don't even align with your own champions in government anymore!!!
If you're as good at dancing around a stage as you are at dancing around issues, maybe you could be on TV.

This isn't about Republicans would/should have done. This is about what Obama did do. He did campaign on raising taxes, saying the rich should pay a little more and the middle class needed relief. He did this knowing that the middle class was going to see its take home pay cut no matter what happened. Even if Republicans did the same thing, that's irrelevant to the fact that Obama did in fact do it. He could have said that everyone's going to end up paying more but I want to try to make sure the rich pay more than you do. That would have been honest. But he didn't do that. He is guilty of implying that the increased revenues needed would not come from the middle class and voters are "guilty" of falling for it. You can't change that by pointing at Romney.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:06 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,430,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
If you're as good at dancing around a stage as you are at dancing around issues, maybe you could be on TV.

This isn't about Republicans would/should have done. This is about what Obama did do. He did campaign on raising taxes, saying the rich should pay a little more and the middle class needed relief. He did this knowing that the middle class was going to see its take home pay cut no matter what happened. Even if Republicans did the same thing, that's irrelevant to the fact that Obama did in fact do it. He could have said that everyone's going to end up paying more but I want to try to make sure the rich pay more than you do. That would have been honest. But he didn't do that. He is guilty of implying that the increased revenues needed would not come from the middle class and voters are "guilty" of falling for it. You can't change that by pointing at Romney.

Your snide comment above was that "Obama voters got what they asked for."

This comment is asinine, of course, since the non-extension of the payroll tax BREAK (which was always to be TEMPORARY) would have occurred if Romney was president. Indeed, Republicans FOUGHT Obama on instituting the tax holiday in the first place. They also fought him in early 2012 when the FIRST extension of the payroll tax cut was passed. It was considered a victory when he was able to get it extended, despite Republican and conservative opposition.

NOW, however, Republicans and conservatives want to pretend like they were "for payroll tax cuts alllll along," and the news radio idiots and their braindead audience lap it up.

I am not sure why it is difficult for you and others similarly situated to understand that point. It was temporary RELIEF. It is unsustainable to keep the payroll tax holiday in place long term. It directly funds SSI.

Here in Florida we have a sales tax holiday around school time. The fact that we get this TEMPORARY break does not mean our "taxes go up" the day after the sales tax holiday ends.

Stop being obtuse.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:16 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,570,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Your snide comment above was that "Obama voters got what they asked for."

This comment is asinine, of course, since the non-extension of the payroll tax BREAK (which was always to be TEMPORARY) would have occurred if Romney was president. Indeed, Republicans FOUGHT Obama on instituting the tax holiday in the first place. They also fought him in early 2012 when the FIRST extension of the payroll tax cut was passed. It was considered a victory when he was able to get it extended, despite Republican and conservative opposition.

NOW, however, Republicans and conservatives want to pretend like they were "for payroll tax cuts alllll along," and the news radio idiots and their braindead audience lap it up.

I am not sure why it is difficult for you and others similarly situated to understand that point. It was temporary RELIEF. It is unsustainable to keep the payroll tax holiday in place long term. It directly funds SSI.

Here in Florida we have a sales tax holiday around school time. The fact that we get this TEMPORARY break does not mean our "taxes go up" the day after the sales tax holiday ends.

Stop being obtuse.
You just came out and said Romney would have done it if he were elected and you call us "obtuse" ?
Is that your justification..Romney would have done it too ?

I guess because this one really isn't Bush's fault, is it ?

Old 01-09-2013, 03:20 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,579,618 times
So let me get this straight.

Democrats are Marxist and want to redistribute wealth yet we were unaware there were going to be tax increases.

Wow, that makes sense.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:39 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,127,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You just came out and said Romney would have done it if he were elected and you call us "obtuse" ?
Is that your justification..Romney would have done it too ?

I guess because this one really isn't Bush's fault, is it ?
At least understand what is being discussed before opening your mouth. Jesus Christ.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:42 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,127,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
So let me get this straight.

Democrats are Marxist and want to redistribute wealth yet we were unaware there were going to be tax increases.

Wow, that makes sense.
It must be hard for them to keep their story straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies