Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2013, 05:14 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
But when you say "friends or coworkers," are you saying that if you buy a gun from a stranger, a background check is required? If not, why are talking specifically about transactions with friends or coworkers, but leaving out transactions with strangers?

I'm still trying to figure out why the other poster was implying that background checks take place on all sales and that us uninformed "gun grabbers" didn't understand that.

Again, this is what he said:

He did NOT differentiate between private sales and sales made through licensed dealers.

So, maybe us "grabbers" think there aren't background checks on private sales because they really aren't required, despite what the other poster is hoping we'll believe?
There's no background check on private sales. Typically people buy from those whom they know, so I gave you the example of "friends and coworkers."

There's no background check on firearm sales between strangers either, just to be clear.

Nobody tries to mislead you and you can Google yourself too.

If you want to discuss about background checks, please open a new topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 05:22 PM

374 posts, read 236,384 times
Quote:
So why did you say this?

Were you being intentionally vague? Or were you just flat out lying?

Were you hoping no one would notice?
Means if I want to sell my friend Mr. Mac a firearm...I know he can have it.

What part about FFLs and shipping firearms through FFLs sold off the internet don't you understand?

Face to face doesn't always require a background check BUT regulations of sale are the same as an FFL.

Means you can't just sell it to anyone whom you like. That 14 year old kid? My buddy told him to go play with himself. A druggie? Get the fawk outta here. Someone not from my State....Mac and I will be using an FFL when I send him something free of charge that I KNOW he will like. He's not crazy...and actually KNOWS what he is doing...you know.

Matter of fact, a tomahawk and a 1911?

S***, I don't believe I would mess with him......

Cold Steel Vietnam Tomahawk - YouTube

Old 01-14-2013, 05:24 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,260,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
There's no background check on private sales. Typically people buy from those whom they know, so I gave you the example of "friends and coworkers."

There's no background check on firearm sales between strangers either, just to be clear.
I already knew that. I'm just trying to figure out why some here are trying to be so vague and misleading.

Why would anyone have a problem with background checks and/or waiting periods? It seems that only those who might not pass a background check would have a real issue with it.

Do you really want people who can't pass background checks to have guns?

Quote:
Nobody tries to mislead you
Yes, the other poster did try to mislead. He said that background checks are done and why don't us silly "grabbers" understand that?

Quote:
If you want to discuss about background checks, please open a new topic.
Why would I do that?

Don't background checks and waiting periods go hand in hand? It seems they are pretty much the same topic.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I already knew that. I'm just trying to figure out why some here are trying to be so vague and misleading.

Why would anyone have a problem with background checks and/or waiting periods? It seems that only those who might not pass a background check would have a real issue with it.

Yes, the other poster did try to mislead. He said that background checks are done and why don't us silly "grabbers" understand that?

Why would I do that?

Don't background checks and waiting periods go hand in hand? It seems they are pretty much the same topic.
Those background checks are done on the original buyer when new.

Why should someone from my State with a CCW need one again when buying from me that will cost us another $20 -$100?

My best friend sold me a handgun not too long ago.

Do you think he thinks I shouldn't have it?

I have the same lifetime CCW he does.

Neither NEVER expire....not just anyone gets one of those you know.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:

Why would I do that?

No. Because background check I can see some merit since the government doesn't want enfore the law.

Waiting period is just plain stupid.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,260,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingTactics45 View Post
Those background checks are done on the original buyer when new.

Why should someone from my State with a CCW need one again when buying from me that will cost us another $20 -$100?

My best friend sold me a handgun not too long ago.

Do you think he thinks I shouldn't have it?

I have the same lifetime CCW he does.

Neither NEVER expire....not just anyone gets one of those you know.
Do you think that ALL private sales are done between two responsible people?

Does it really matter whether or not your best friend thinks you should have a gun? Maybe your best friend is an idiot who couldn't tell a good guy from a bad one.

What is wrong with background checks (and the time needed to process them)?

Why would you have a problem with a small added expense that that check might require and a little inconvenience if it helps to keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them?

And, no, I don't have any illusions that background checks and waiting periods will prevent ALL gun sales to people who shouldn't have them, but if it helps even a little, why would you be opposed to it?

It's not infringing on your rights - it's just a little oversight to try to keep guns away from people who shouldn't have them. For all you responsible and legal gun owners, it won't hurt you in the least.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Do you think that ALL private sales are done between two responsible people?

Does it really matter whether or not your best friend thinks you should have a gun? Maybe your best friend is an idiot who couldn't tell a good guy from a bad one.

What is wrong with background checks (and the time needed to process them)?

Why would you have a problem with a small added expense that that check might require and a little inconvenience if it helps to keep guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them?

And, no, I don't have any illusions that background checks and waiting periods will prevent ALL gun sales to people who shouldn't have them, but if it helps even a little, why would you be opposed to it?

It's not infringing on your rights - it's just a little oversight to try to keep guns away from people who shouldn't have them. For all you responsible and legal gun owners, it won't hurt you in the least.
Well...my Sister has three boys. A few years ago I picked up three HK P7 PSPs that were West German Police trade-ins. All three are in Grade-1 condition with box, papers, 2 mags and cleaning tools. These were made in 1985 and 1986. They are a rare piece of HK discontinued history. I paid $600 each for them. They are selling on Gun Broker and at gun shops NOW for $1,000+ each.

I'm waiting on all three of them to turn 21.....so I can GIVE them to them. Three boys...1-2-3 guns...count 'em.

I don't need the gun grabbers involved in my personal and family business. Fawk off!

Old 01-14-2013, 05:47 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,328,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How many times does that happen? 1 in a million? 1 in 10?

It's not about it's a good idea or bad idea. It is about whether that risk outweighs other risks.

Do you think it is a good idea for people to wait when they face real life threatening event such as your deranged BF is after you to murder you? Or when the social unrest breaks out, you want them to wait until they get raped, tortured and killed? That's a better idea?

Yes, that actually happens all the time.

Please provide where you found these numbers. As far as if your "deranged bf" is after you and you kill him that is another legal issue altogether because that does not protect you from the law all of the time either.

Warning Shot Costs Florida Woman 20 Years | The Truth About …

So that is whats really is going on, you like many of the other gun folks are actually scared. Don't you think if social unrest breaks out that they won't have guns as well? At that point it will be who has the biggest gun and who can use them the best wins. I guess the police and the military would have no part in this at all huh?

Old 01-14-2013, 05:49 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,692,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
huh? no car dealership will sell you a car if you don't have a valid license to drive. it would be against the law for them to do so. duh.
You should have quit while you were ahead, although that opportunity was short lived.

Cars can be sold to an entity, or to a person without a license. Owning a car doesn't imply that the owner, whether a person or an entity, will ever actually operate it. A license is only required to operate the vehicle.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Please provide where you found these numbers. As far as if your "deranged bf" is after you and you kill him that is another legal issue altogether because that does not protect you from the law all of the time either.

Warning Shot Costs Florida Woman 20 Years | The Truth About …

So that is whats really is going on, you like many of the other gun folks are actually scared. Don't you think if social unrest breaks out that they won't have guns as well? At that point it will be who has the biggest gun and who can use them the best wins. I guess the police and the military would have no part in this at all huh?
You're too dumb to be scared. You'll get yours soon enough.

Arnold Schwarzenegger - I LIED - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies