Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 10:00 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
See?

A study done by the U.S. Dept. of Justice in 1997, under Atty Gen. Janet Reno in the administration of Bill Clinton.

www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/165476.pdf

They conducted a survey called the National Survey of Private Ownership of Firearms (NSPOF). They concluded that 3.1 million times in one year, private citizens had used firearms to ward off a crime.

The Justice Dept.'s figure turned out to be slightly higher than that from a separate study done by Florida State professors Gary Kleck and Mark Gertz, who arrived at a figure of 2.5 million uses of firearms in one year to deter crimes.

Guns are used FAR more frequently, by a couple orders of magnitude, to deter crimes than to kill people. And of the people killed, a large percentage of them are criminals killed while committing crimes, by someone (police or civilian) defending themselves.
Ah good, you forgot to mention you edited your post.

I'll tear through the study, but considering what I just read--that it was a national phone survey--it probably has the same reporting problem as Kleck's--it's all self-reported and suffers from desirability bias.

But defensive use of firearms, which overwhelmingly in this case accounts for brandishing--doesn't directly translate into "saving lives."

30,000 lives a year are a taken by firearms, 10,000 of which are homicides, about 1,000 being negligent (I.e. 'accidental') shootings. There were about 600 justifiable homicides, which means firearm homicides account for about 9500 deaths each year. Of those, about a third are criminally related, another third are domestic disputes, and the rest undetermined. At least, that's what I recall from the...BJS numbers I think? If you have the source for that, that'd be great.

Glad you caught the quote attribution though, I was amused.

Your onus for the claim is to show that firearms prevent at least 9500 homicides each year, and preferably 30,000. Does the study say that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 10:59 AM

From the paper you cited, Acorn.
Quote:
Much debated is
whether the widespread ownership of
firearms deters crime or makes it more
deadly—or perhaps both—but the
[defensive gun use] estimates are not informative in
this regard.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 AM

374 posts, read 236,170 times
No one ever said Joe was smart.

Dumber then a box of rocks is more like it.

Home Invasion gun fight - YouTube

Old 01-11-2013, 11:45 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
From the paper you cited, Acorn.
Thanks for backing up my point. Defensive Gun Uses *should* make crime more deadly. In crimes where the victim turns out to have a gun, the criminal gets shot a lot more often than crimes where the victim doesn't have one.

And this is how the crimes are deterred. When criminals know their victim may have a gun, they are less likely to commit the crime in the first place. And when they try it anyway, sometimes they wind up dead.

Gun ownership by law-abiding citizens is a win-win situation.

Education is good for you, konraden. Even when you don't like it.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Thanks for backing up my point. Defensive Gun Uses *should* make crime more deadly. In crimes where the victim turns out to have a gun, the criminal gets shot a lot more often than crimes where the victim doesn't have one.

And this is how the crimes are deterred. When criminals know their victim may have a gun, they are less likely to commit the crime in the first place. And when they try it anyway, sometimes they wind up dead.

Gun ownership by law-abiding citizens is a win-win situation.

Education is good for you, konraden. Even when you don't like it.
The brief isn't backing your point. It explicitely concludes that defensive gun use numbers--which depending on source, range from about 108,000 uses\year to 3.1 million\year, they don't reliably tell whether it deters crime, makes crime worse, or both.

You need better evidence to conclude that firearm ownership saves more lives than it takes. Justifiable homicides represent only about 300 of the 10,000 homicides per year. You have to show that those defensive gun uses explicitly prevented 9500 deaths per year, preferably 30,000, but 9500 to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies