Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support a mandatory back ground check on all gun sales if you knew it would stop criminals
Yes I would support this even though I am a gun owner 20 66.67%
No I would not support back ground checks on gun sales. 4 13.33%
I think that we need to repeal all back ground checks on all guns sales even dealer sales 4 13.33%
I would not support it even if I knew that some criminal would get a gun by a private sale and kill 20 more kids. 2 6.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 11:56 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,756,497 times

Advertisements

Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 12:19 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Why you ask, even with the 5 year permits, you still get a yearly back ground check.
Unconstitutional infringement on our 2nd Amendment right to keep and bear arms.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:21 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times
How about "I support this and I'm not a gun fetishist"

Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 PM

632 posts, read 1,180,401 times
I didn't vote in the poll as I didn't know which option to choose. However, I wanted to make some points:

A.) Isn't the issue not increasing background checks but holding individuals responsible for the weapons they own? The last few shootings that have occurred were perpetrated by individuals who took weapons from people they knew or, in the case of the Colorado shooter, ordered online.

B.) Instead of looking at shop owners, don't we need to look at the cases individually and figure out how they got weapons and come up with ways to prevent that from occurring again?

Seems like we're punishing the masses for the actions of a few...

Old 01-11-2013, 12:37 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I am a gun owner and I DO accept mandatory univeral background checks. This is a prudent step to at least try to keep guns out of the wrong hands.

Of course it won't do anything to stop criminals but it also would not restrict the freedom of law abiding citizens to own and acquire guns... only make it more difficult to sell them. That's a price I'm willing to pay.
Say what? Your logic is the most bass-ackwards of any i've see on this thread. Care to try that again????

Old 01-11-2013, 12:38 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I voted yes and I think most people would too, but I'm really not wanting any kind of registration. If politicians don't want to address and ban criminals I'm not willing to take steps toward registration. Problem that I see is that there really isn't a way to enforce it. We could make it a law and have a broker do the background check, but there really isn't a mechanism to stop a private individual from selling without the broker.
Gun grabbers have been loathe to discuss the black market because it discredits their worthless argument for gun control.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:47 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
Would you support a mandatory back ground check on all gun sales if you knew it would stop criminals from getting guns?
How would a "mandatory background check" stop criminals from getting guns? Criminals very very rarely purchase guns legally. It would be much more effective to make theft of or possession of a stolen firearm a federal felony with a mandatory 10 year sentence. This would actually deter criminals, reduce firearms theft and not infringe on the law abiding.

However...gun control is not intended to reduce violent crime. Never has been, never has worked to do so. In fact, the opposite is far more common.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:48 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
I didn't vote in the poll as I didn't know which option to choose. However, I wanted to make some points:

A.) Isn't the issue not increasing background checks but holding individuals responsible for the weapons they own? The last few shootings that have occurred were perpetrated by individuals who took weapons from people they knew or, in the case of the Colorado shooter, ordered online.

B.) Instead of looking at shop owners, don't we need to look at the cases individually and figure out how they got weapons and come up with ways to prevent that from occurring again?

Seems like we're punishing the masses for the actions of a few...

Link please. If you "purchase a weapon online", it has to be shipped to a FFL dealer, and a background check and 4473 must be done on the purchaser.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I would support a background check as long as it covered criminal background AND mental health background. And I would also support legislation that greatly increased the liability of gun owners who allowed, either aggressively or passively, their guns to get into the hands of criminals or the mentally ill or children. By "allow" I mean by selling them, giving them away, or not keeping them secured.

In other words, guns should only be IN THE HANDS OF people who have passed a criminal and mental health background check.

For the record, I don't think that ALL mental illness diagnoses should disqualify a person from gun ownership. For instance, someone who is OCD or who suffers from sleep paralysis due to anxiety, or someone who is on medication for depression (this COULD be a disqualifier if they were also suicidal, but most people who are suffering from clinical depression are not suicidal). But mental illnesses like paranoid schizophrenia, cluster B personality disorders such as sociopathic disorders - those are very serious mental illnesses which can and often do manifest in violence towards others. Also, these two disorders in particular are very hard to treat even with meds and require the patient's full acceptance of the issue and cooperation with treatment and they have a very low rate of successful treatment. Other mental health issues like OCD or anxiety respond well to treatment and do not generally result in violent behavior - any more than the rest of the population in general.

I am a gun owner by the way. I would have absolutely no qualms about having a background check run on me before I purchased a gun. I also have no problem with a, say, ten day waiting period. But then - I'm a law abiding, sane person. Would a criminal find a way to skirt such laws? Uhhhhh, probably.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:26 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
No. I'm not going tp pay an FFL a bunch of money just so I can buy a cheap gun off a friend, relative or at a yard sale. I've got guns I paid $25 for, I won't pay $30 or more on top of that. Furthermore, background checks are unenforceable. You're counting on the honor system for two people to go to a dealer and run the check instead of just doing the sale in their home or an alley or backroad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies