Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:58 PM

606 posts, read 699,421 times

Advertisements

In order to be as much as "political right"as I can,I used the term"possible relation"instead of"relation".

On average,is it possible for Asians to be shorter than the whites? The answer is obviously yes. Why? Because different races have different genes,that means,some races are born shorter than the others on average.And the same thing applied to IQ,intelligence.

Brain is simply a part of human body,just like legs and breasts.We all know that people from some races tend to have bigger-size breasts,legs.Therefore,why should we deny the fact that there's also some possible relation between race and intelligence(or larger brains at least)?

Old 10-18-2007, 01:12 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,511,190 times
Default eugenics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksburg View Post
In order to be as much as "political right"as I can,I used the term"possible relation"instead of"relation".

On average,is it possible for Asians to be shorter than the whites? The answer is obviously yes. Why? Because different races have different genes,that means,some races are born shorter than the others on average.And the same thing applied to IQ,intelligence.

Brain is simply a part of human body,just like legs and breasts.We all know that people from some races tend to have bigger-size breasts,legs.Therefore,why should we deny the fact that there's also some possible relation between race and intelligence(or larger brains at least)?
The problems is this type of think in the end lead to eugenics. why don't you ask if the Jewish folk out there find assuming certain traits by race is a good idea.

Eugenics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-18-2007, 01:14 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,066,590 times
Thumbs down There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Quote:

Because there is no scientific proof. People have been studying this question for years. In less-PC times, there were endless scientific studies to attempt to justify racial prejudices, and they were all inconclusive, negative, or neutral.

It's not that people are afraid to ask science the questions, it's that the questions have already been conclusively answered by science; there is no measurable statistical relationship between race and intelligence, no matter how much bigots and racists wish it were so.

Are there measurable cultural and environmental differences? Yes. Is there an absolute measuring stick that determines who's culture is best? No.

As for the question of superior racial genetics:

It's an answered question. The answer is "no." If you don't like the answer, that's just too damn bad. I don't like that gravity holds me to the ground, but I don't keep questioning whether it exists simply because I see a bird flying by and appearing to defy it.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
The problems is this type of think in the end lead to eugenics. why don't you ask if the Jewish folk out there find assuming certain traits by race is a good idea.

Eugenics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Anyway,you don't deny the fact,right?

Old 10-18-2007, 01:20 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,189,379 times
This doesn't even rise to the level of eugenics -- tis phrenology.

People refuse to discuss it because by now folks are so mixed up through the intersecting of cultures, there's so much contraversy about how you measure and there's such a negative history -- also people refuse this subject because it is intrinsically hurtful, cause resentments and stupid prejudices and does not get us any further forward.

"Do not compare yourselves with others. You run the risk of becoming vain or bitter as there will always be greater and lesser persons than yourselves." -- Desiderata

Old 10-18-2007, 01:24 PM

Race and intelligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Some scientists use IQ to measure one's intelligence.And IQ method is used to study the relation between race and intelligence.I don't know whether you believe in IQ method or not.If yes,there is scientific proof out there.If not,there's also no scientific proof to prove that all races are equally intelligent.

Culture is a good question,but it's not our issue in this thread.
However,I am also interested in the study of diverse cultures.I think I can say something about it.If you are comparing people from different nations,there's significant cultural difference but if you just compare Black and whites who live in U.S,there's very small culture difference.

And...is it possible for one culture to be better than the other?I think the answer is YES.Culture,just like any other things in human society,is developing,is changing for the better.That indicates the fact there some cultures are inferior to the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Because there is no scientific proof. People have been studying this question for years. In less-PC times, there were endless scientific studies to attempt to justify racial prejudices, and they were all inconclusive, negative, or neutral.

It's not that people are afraid to ask science the questions, it's that the questions have already been conclusively answered by science; there is no measurable statistical relationship between race and intelligence, no matter how much bigots and racists wish it were so.

Are there measurable cultural and environmental differences? Yes. Is there an absolute measuring stick that determines who's culture is best? No.

As for the question of superior racial genetics:

It's an answered question. The answer is "no." If you don't like the answer, that's just too damn bad. I don't like that gravity holds me to the ground, but I don't keep questioning whether it exists simply because I see a bird flying by and appearing to defy it.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:32 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,632,440 times
I think there most definitely a relation between race and intelligence.

However, I wouldn't call it one race being superior to the other. I would try to explain it, but would rather not argue with the PC crowd who I've argued with before that basically say everyone is equal and unique simulataneously.

Lets just say I think all races bring forth strong and positive characteristics that do balance out as all things being equal in value to society, but not always in the same area. And for clarification I do not mean one race is smarter than another, only the areas that a race excels in may vary.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:32 PM

Default New Englander is my race.

Quote:
Anyway,you don't deny the fact,right?
I guess you would have to call me a denier. I meet people from all over the world both on the street and in academic centers. And it really all comes down the the individual.
Granted culture of a sect of people can effect on what they put importance on. Whether that be education, or manual labor, etc,etc.
But let me put a slight kink into you view of race and culture. I am Genetically Irish and Italian for the most part. But I don't really feel that those genetic lines are my race.
The race of people I consider myself is New Englander and all people born or raised in New England are my people.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Race and intelligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Some scientists use IQ to measure one's intelligence.And IQ method is used to study the relation between race and intelligence.I don't know whether you believe in IQ method or not.If yes,there is scientific proof out there.If not,there's also no scientific proof to prove that all races are equally intelligent.

Culture is a good question,but it's not our issue in this thread.
However,I am also interested in the study of diverse cultures.I think I can say something about it.If you are comparing people from different nations,there's significant cultural difference but if you just compare Black and whites who live in U.S,there's very small culture difference.

And...is it possible for one culture to be better than the other?I think the answer is YES.Culture,just like any other things in human society,is developing,is changing for the better.That indicates the fact there some cultures are inferior to the others.
The video was removed from the but hears an excerpt from "battle of the brains."

BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Grey power: Battle of the brains

Old 10-18-2007, 01:47 PM

12 posts, read 9,361 times
I think anyone with the right tangible & intangible resources can achieve anything they set their mind to. Often, people have one and not the other (e.g., I have a brain, but I lack the desire to use it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies