Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 11:12 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
FWIW, Obama is a generally likeable guy and Romney is somewhat "kerry-esque". If it had been Kerry, Gore or even Hillary running instead of Obama....the race would have been drastically closer with Romeny probably
Hillary, Kerry or Gore would also have won in 2008 and 2012, just a point or two closer, and by a state or two less. Bush was far more moderate than either JM or MR given the radical right platform they hugged.

Even at that, Bush won with the narrowest electoral margins of any 2 term POTUS-no margin to spare. Had he run with the 2008/2012 GOP platform, he never would have left Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 11:19 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
As Biden says the politcal pendulum is always swinging and in past we have seen same thing happen to Democrats. The poroblem now is that polls show that people largely think the ntio is o the wrong path while they will still vote for their perosnal interest. In time the deficit wil change evreyhtig when we begin the cuts necessary to solve it and the blame will shift aginst for waht happenjs.Those in power always get the mian blame for poor results.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:19 AM

73,024 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Hillary, Kerry or Gore would also have won in 2008 and 2012, just a point or two closer, and by a state or two less. Bush was far more moderate than either JM or MR given the radical right platform they hugged.

Even at that, Bush won with the narrowest electoral margins of any 2 term POTUS-no margin to spare. Had he run with the 2008/2012 GOP platform, he never would have left Texas.
Which basically shows the changes in the GOP since 2004. I started hearing about the Tea Party in 2007, when it got its start. I didn't pay much attention to it until it started making headlines sometime later.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
As Biden says the politcal pendulum is always swinging and in past we have seen same thing happen to Democrats. The poroblem now is that polls show that people largely think the ntio is o the wrong path while they will still vote for their perosnal interest. In time the deficit wil change evreyhtig when we begin the cuts necessary to solve it and the blame will shift aginst for waht happenjs.Those in power always get the mian blame for poor results.
There is something else to ask. Why do people vote for their personal interests?

Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Which basically shows the changes in the GOP since 2004. .

Now to be fair, 43 would have had the guts to stand up against the extremists of 2008 and 2012 in the GOP. JM & MR acted as cowards on that front.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Now to be fair, 43 would have had the guts to stand up against the extremists of 2008 and 2012 in the GOP. JM & MR acted as cowards on that front.
And JM picked a very questionable running-mate as well: Max Blumenthal: How Sarah Palin Has Excluded African-Americans

Mitt Romney with his 47% comment basically alienated alot of voters.

The Tea Party got started in 2007, while Bush was still in office. I don't know what he said about them then, or if he called them out.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
The Tea Party got started in 2007, while Bush was still in office. I don't know what he said about them then, or if he called them out.

They were largely quiet until a demographic they disliked became POTUS, so there was nothing said or needed than . Not a coincidence demographics changed their "message", as their choice of costumes prove. That blind hatred made any talking points they had about taxation a moot point, and deservedly so. They were not behaving seriously, so they were not treated seriously, outside of their little fringe group meetings.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
They were largely quiet until a demographic they disliked became POTUS, so there was nothing said or needed than . Not a coincidence demographics changed their "message", as their choice of costumes prove. That blind hatred made any talking points they had about taxation a moot point, and deservedly so. They were not behaving seriously, so they were not treated seriously, outside of their little fringe group meetings.
In short, this was not a Bush phenomenon. Well noted. I think one thing that gets me is how I didn't see this coming. when I first heard of them, they said it stood for "Taxed Enough Already" Party. Suddenly it turned hateful when President Obama was running for office. I couldn't see it coming.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
In short, this was not a Bush phenomenon. Well noted. I think one thing that gets me is how I didn't see this coming. when I first heard of them, they said it stood for "Taxed Enough Already" Party. Suddenly it turned hateful when President Obama was running for office. I couldn't see it coming.
In its early years, the TP made a huge mistake. They needed to organize and adopt what behaviors were acceptable at their functions, and evict anyone violating those rules.

Whether they adored the racism at their rallies or loked the other way, in choosing either option, they reversed any progress they had made along the way.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
In its early years, the TP made a huge mistake. They needed to organize and adopt what behaviors were acceptable at their functions, and evict anyone violating those rules.

Whether they adored the racism at their rallies or loked the other way, in choosing either option, they reversed any progress they had made along the way.
I found something else out. There are thousands of members of the Tea Party who have connections to White supremacist groups. Allowing this is poor judgement indeed. However, this is the question. Why isn't the Tea Party doing anything about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies