Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 06:04 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times

Advertisements

The presidents reccomendations are reasonable and senceable. The GOP will obstruct them at their peril. I'm predicting that if they do obstruct, like they probably will, they will lose the house in 2014 and then there will be a democratic President, House and Senate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 06:06 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
I KNOW! All this dogmatic crap from the NRA perverting the 2nd amendment for their business and the Gun lobby's benefit is terrible. I'm not afraid of fascism: I'm afraid of the heavily armed yokel luddites plotting to overthrow the fed like a bunch of unwashed bolsheviks.
Don't stop there--I'm dying to see how you justify a fear of "armed yokel luddites" putting civilians in physical danger by simply owning firearms.

Everyone, git's comment represents the quintessential debatorial methodology of the average anti-gunner: convey gun owners who philosophically believe in their right to own a gun as being unstable, hillbilly undeseriables who are likely capable of harming innocents with their guns, regardless of the fact that they (the average gun-owning member of the NRA or GOA) aren't statistically prone to doing so.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:07 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Facts mean nothing to these folks. All that matters is they saw a kid shot on the magical square box in front of em that puts talking people in their room and the guy who is talking said it's bad and we don't need guns so that is that. Now pass me the weed and the xbox controller because I gotta shoot me some bad guys...............

Old 01-16-2013, 06:16 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The presidents reccomendations are reasonable and senceable. The GOP will obstruct them at their peril. I'm predicting that if they do obstruct, like they probably will, they will lose the house in 2014 and then there will be a democratic President, House and Senate.
This is about anti-gun owner demonization/stigmatation via media propaganda--no one's discussing Obama's (shockingly mild) executive orders, regardless of whether or not they'll prove overreaching or effective in the long run.

Gun control will not, as it currently appears, win the Democrats a majority in the Senate or the House. The Democrats, as you may not be aware, have been comfortably polling ahead of the Republicans in congressional preference polls since no more than a week after the last election--the gun debate has, if anything, narrowed the margins.

Thanks for the speculations, but maybe try to keep them relevant to Canadian politics in the future?

Old 01-16-2013, 06:19 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,790,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
The senate will be taking up this gun control nonsense here soon so prepare to see images of dead children splattered across the TV screen at every opportunity. The nightly news will turn into the daily body count as every gun crime that has been ignored will now become headline news. Nobody cared about all the kids who are constantly shot in inner cities or anywhere else for that matter but when there is an agenda to be pushed look out. Goebbels would love what is about to happen.
Guns and shootings were a normal way of life where I grew up in Miami, but I guess now that it happens in areas where rich people live that they care about it. I knew more neighborhood kids with stolen guns than I ever knew who owned one legally, so I hope people realize that these regulations really aren't going to affect the inner city crime one bit.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:32 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
The senate will be taking up this gun control nonsense here soon so prepare to see images of dead children splattered across the TV screen at every opportunity. The nightly news will turn into the daily body count as every gun crime that has been ignored will now become headline news. Nobody cared about all the kids who are constantly shot in inner cities or anywhere else for that matter but when there is an agenda to be pushed look out. Goebbels would love what is about to happen.
So you want the ban removed from machine guns to better defend the children?

Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Is the onslaught of media propaganda a new phenomenon in this country?

Certainly not.

Yes, attempts by establishmentarian media outlets to sensationalize any act of gun violence that occurs on a college campus or in any other educational institution (i.e. yesterday's shootings in Missouri and Kentucky) is going to become more frequent, that's a given.

Regardless, the anti-gun fearmongering of the last 30 days (essentially nothing new, just exhilerated since December 14th of last year) must be consistently identified and exploited by opponents of the this opportunism for what it truly is: an attempt to convey and establish moral authority for a political faction that ideologically despises the notion that an American citizen would own a gun for any other reason than, perhaps, to shoot a deer for food (and even such innocuous activities as hunting and target-shooting should only be carried out with a federally registered rifle stored at a local, federally regulated "gun club," no doubt).

Why doesn't the anti-gun clique within the political left just demonstrate a simple act of honesty and articulate to Americans that an eventual blanket firearm ban on modern firearm ownership is precisely what they want?
Head on nails

Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
This is about anti-gun owner demonization/stigmatation via media propaganda--no one's discussing Obama's (shockingly mild) executive orders, regardless of whether or not they'll prove overreaching or effective in the long run.

Gun control will not, as it currently appears, win the Democrats a majority in the Senate or the House. The Democrats, as you may not be aware, have been comfortably polling ahead of the Republicans in congressional preference polls since no more than a week after the last election--the gun debate has, if anything, narrowed the margins.

Thanks for the speculations, but maybe try to keep them relevant to Canadian politics in the future?
You obviously have notbeenreading the polls regarding how Americans are feeling about gun control. You have gotten yourself into an echo chamber where you are only hearing the small minority who are opposed.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:09 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Sounds like your all for seeing that. Exactly what will the actions that will be proposed in congress do to stop that slaughter you are salivating over? Oh that's right NOTHING. So you enjoy the show because that is all it is.
I'm not salivating over anything. Nor do I enjoy "the show". However, I am absolutely heartbroken over the senseless tragedy at Sandy Hook as well as other places. People need to wake up and see the REALITY of school shootings - exactly what horror, bloodshed, carnage they wrought. Yes, I am all for seeing that because too many people today have blinders on when it comes to death of any kind.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:10 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Never let a crisis or tragedy go to waste, eh?
WTF does this even mean? Wouldn't a tragedy "go to waste" if we learned nothing from it? Or is it better to just sweep things under the rug, pretend it didn't happen, ignore the victims and trot merrily along blissfully & purposefully unaware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies