Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 11:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
You been watching Urban Cowboy?
Actually, I've never seen that movie...

I've got the real deal at home. No urban cowboy in this house!

Though he HAS spun me around the dance floor a time or two at Billy Bob's in Fort Worth - or as the locals call it - FOAT Wurth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jta1Gz9UnfA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 01:50 AM

589 posts, read 851,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
A friend of mine who's originally from Oklahoma, likes to date gals he calls ''southern'', and who appreciate ''cowboys'', even though these women may have grown up in Cali instead of say, GA or TN. And though I'm still a city boy, I ''get'' what he's talking about... it's a culture, a lifestyle and an attitude, that's more than just liking country music and wearing sh*t kickers.

But to us ''outsiders'', what to call this huge demographic, that's easy enough to recognize, yet doesn't even really have a name for itself.... or does it (and how do they feel about using all those ''other'' names, even among themselves)? BTW, it seems odd that we casually discuss things like Hispanic, Jewish or Black culture and politics, yet we can't seem to come up with a good name for what is probably the largest cultural group in the country, with pretty identifiable tastes (like Nascar, country music, fried foods, guns, heavy drinking, rural living, etc..... and being ''white'' is only a part of it)!

I live in Jacksonville FL now, and have also lived in Texas, Arkansas, Georgia, and Utah.

Here's my quick take on the differences, and rankings, from best to worst. Of course, there are many exceptions to any broad generalization.

5. Southerners- Born and raised in the deep South. Well educated, and gently trying to pull Dixie into the 21st Century, but would never rock the boat, in order to accomplish that. Ergo, their lack of success in doing so. Wishes it was already 2033.

4. Cowboys- Hard working, self sufficient. Don't really get caught up in politics. Just want to be left alone, and they'll leave everyone else alone. Wishes it was still 1880. Loners.

3. Country- A step below Southerners. Generally less educated, and less comfortable around people that have different backgrounds and upbringings then they do. Far more religious than the 'norm.' Afraid that the Devil is taking over. Wishes it was the 1950's

2. Hillbillies- Completely uneducated. Complete mistrust in all outsiders. Generally clueless about specifics of any political issues. Ignorance makes them easily manipulated by the wingnut politics of fear. Too stupid to ever vote in their own self interest. Have no idea what year it even is.

1. Rednecks- Lowest form of life on the planet. No education, lower income, ignorant, bigoted, hypocritical religious fanatics, mean spirited, irrational, *******s. Regularly blames their poor lot in life on any and all ethnic groups that don't look, talk, act, and think exactly the way they do. Still fighting the civil war. Acts like they are superior to all other segments of society, inspite of average IQ's of 80. Deep down, they hate themselves, and over compensate for this lack of self esteem by collecting guns, driving oversized pickup trucks, and waving the Confederate flag, while yelling that "the South is gonna rise again." Fear and bigotry drive everything that they do. Wishes it was still 1859.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:14 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,403,011 times
You see someone in Nashville with a cowboy hat on, most likely they aren't from Tennessee or local.

Yeah, there are differences in all those groups, of course you would probably have to get out of your comfort zone to learn it

Old 01-17-2013, 03:47 AM

45,438 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
A friend of mine who's originally from Oklahoma, likes to date gals he calls ''southern'', and who appreciate ''cowboys'', even though these women may have grown up in Cali instead of say, GA or TN. And though I'm still a city boy, I ''get'' what he's talking about... it's a culture, a lifestyle and an attitude, that's more than just liking country music and wearing sh*t kickers.

But to us ''outsiders'', what to call this huge demographic, that's easy enough to recognize, yet doesn't even really have a name for itself.... or does it (and how do they feel about using all those ''other'' names, even among themselves)? BTW, it seems odd that we casually discuss things like Hispanic, Jewish or Black culture and politics, yet we can't seem to come up with a good name for what is probably the largest cultural group in the country, with pretty identifiable tastes (like Nascar, country music, fried foods, guns, heavy drinking, rural living, etc..... and being ''white'' is only a part of it)!

Six plus offensive stereotypes in one sentence. Was that hard to do?

Old 01-17-2013, 04:22 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,484,483 times
Quote:

It's called the "Git R Done" crowd....

Last edited by Blue Grass Fever; 01-17-2013 at 04:52 AM..

Old 01-17-2013, 05:03 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,766,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
It's called the "Git R Done" crowd....
Simply because they do get things done and not wait on the government to do it for them.

I cannot believe that lefties still think its ok to put these people down. People that go to work and pay taxes yet it is not ok to look down upon those that don't because they are more comfortable taking all that those dollars provide and not contributing.

These people are looked down upon because they don't want their guns taken. Funny, I haven't seen these types committing mass murders.

Yet the party of tolerant is so intolerant of these types. What a world.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:06 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,680,438 times
Quote:

I wouldn't worry about it if I were you. It doesn't impact you, and won't impact me as long as you stay far, far, far away. Please. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Just don't call them city types -- but redneck and country and cowboys aren't offensive terms -- even hillbilly can be a label worn with pride but isn't the same as redneck or cowboy.
No kidding. I can't imagine how hideous it must be to live like swarming cockroaches on a 3 week old pizza. I'll take a 2500 sq ft house on 2.5 wooded acres any old day.

Disgusting people in crowded cities. Ewwwww.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:09 AM

Self-described "Ghetto-Billy" here....

Old 01-17-2013, 05:18 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,148,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
I live in Jacksonville FL now, and have also lived in Texas, Arkansas, Georgia, and Utah.

Here's my quick take on the differences, and rankings, from best to worst. Of course, there are many exceptions to any broad generalization.

5. Southerners- Born and raised in the deep South. Well educated, and gently trying to pull Dixie into the 21st Century, but would never rock the boat, in order to accomplish that. Ergo, their lack of success in doing so. Wishes it was already 2033.

4. Cowboys- Hard working, self sufficient. Don't really get caught up in politics. Just want to be left alone, and they'll leave everyone else alone. Wishes it was still 1880. Loners.

3. Country- A step below Southerners. Generally less educated, and less comfortable around people that have different backgrounds and upbringings then they do. Far more religious than the 'norm.' Afraid that the Devil is taking over. Wishes it was the 1950's

2. Hillbillies- Completely uneducated. Complete mistrust in all outsiders. Generally clueless about specifics of any political issues. Ignorance makes them easily manipulated by the wingnut politics of fear. Too stupid to ever vote in their own self interest. Have no idea what year it even is.

1. Rednecks- Lowest form of life on the planet. No education, lower income, ignorant, bigoted, hypocritical religious fanatics, mean spirited, irrational, *******s. Regularly blames their poor lot in life on any and all ethnic groups that don't look, talk, act, and think exactly the way they do. Still fighting the civil war. Acts like they are superior to all other segments of society, inspite of average IQ's of 80. Deep down, they hate themselves, and over compensate for this lack of self esteem by collecting guns, driving oversized pickup trucks, and waving the Confederate flag, while yelling that "the South is gonna rise again." Fear and bigotry drive everything that they do. Wishes it was still 1859.

I live in the foothills of the Appalachian (that's 'apple-at-cha', not 'aysh' ) mountains of Tennessee. There are 25 things wrong (mostly stereotypes) with your list, but I still have to give you a rep and two thumbs up for it. .

Loved it!

Old 01-17-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Block289 View Post
He's the guy with 50 stab wounds to his back and still trying to get to his feet. He's the guy who lost all but one pint of blood, yet won't let his eyes close. He's the guy who always dies in the end because he trusted someone who shouldn't be trusted. He's the guy who hears your screams for help and comes running while others speed off or lock their doors. You cannot put a pricetag on that. He wouldn't give your safe combination out, if they were dripping solder in his boxer shorts.
Batman.....is that you?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies