Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 07:11 AM

4,684 posts, read 4,572,979 times

Advertisements

I love the part about quartering of soldiers - it's so pertinent and relevant to our time. And the bit about letters of marque. Oh, and that thing about titles of nobility. What a timely, modern document.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:22 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
And how would someone else's religious practice violate your rights? Oh yes ... if they should practice or celebrate these beliefs in the open public view, which offends the non-believer. We see it all of the time .. all of the pizzing and moaning each December about Christmas Trees and manger scenes. And don't say you don't do this, because you are a self proclaimed liberal and that has been the liberal position .. whether you personally whine or not.
That is called "assuming." I actually was referring to the sense that if it is cool to kill or injure someone in your religion, then that is not okay in our country, but other than things that are extreme like that, I think all people should be allowed to practice their religious beliefs. Also, I love Christmas, I just don't celebrate the birth of a fictional religious figure. I do think it is funny when people act like Christmas is under attack when it looks like it has exploded all over this country every Christmas season.

Quote:
It doesn't matter what you are fine with, or not fine with .... where is this authority delegated to the government to impose such regulations on firearms? The Law is clear ... the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Do you understand the definition of "infringe" ? It means to limit or undermine ... so rephrased in more modern language, the law reads ... "the right of the people to own and carry firearms shall not be limited or undermined". It doesn't say may sometimes be infringed if there are good reasons. And any regulation imposed represents an act to limit and hence undermine that right. And the right has already been limited and undermined dramatically, which is a gross violation of the law. And the effort to further limit and undermine never ceases .... because the goal of the left is to ban firearms outright. Some lie through their teeth and deny that .. others, like Diane Finestein are very outspoken about their desire to pass a law to confiscate all firearms ... she's said so very directly and openly. This should be grounds for her immediate expulsion from congress, and her criminal arse should be prosecuted for directly violating her oath of office, as should every other congress critter supporting this subversion of the constitution.
Well then were do you draw the line with "arms." Should all "arms" be available to the average person including military grade weapons. Should nuclear "arms" be available to the average person? Everyone has a line, it is just a different place for each person.

Also, I am less for getting rid of any type of gun and more for increasing safety with gun use. I think anyone who wants to own a gun should have to take a safety class and have to retake a safety class every number of years as a refresher because there is nothing wrong with being safe with firearms.

Quote:
What I hear is a lot of double talk .... I support X, BUT ...... I am fine with Y, however .... that's what I hear. And heres the deal .... there is no "but ifs" in the law .... you either support the constitution or you don't ... it's not a buffet for you to pick and choose from. The 2nd Amendment is clear ... "Shall not be infringed" .... if you believe otherwise, then you do not support the right ... you're just being a liberal ... deceptive and dishonest and totally self righteous..
See what I just wrote above this quote, it applies to this section too.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:23 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The GOP hates the constitution, just look at the patriot act.

Hmmm, and the last time I checked a Democrat is the current POTUS, and hasn't done a damn thing to repeal the Patriot Act!

Old 01-17-2013, 07:23 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post

I am fine with people being able to own guns but I think it is important for us as a country to regulate gun use through strict background checks for all gun purchases, even private sales, and I think it is important for anyone that wants to be a gun owner must pass a safety training course or serve in the military.
I am fine with this as long as the training is provided free of charge and after that, we get to own whatever firearm we can afford.

Also, I think it is important for us as a country to regulate the exercise of the freedom of speech through strict background checks for all speakers, writer or author even private individuals, and I think it is important for anyone that wants to be a speaker, writer or author must pass a proper training course.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:26 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
The GOP hates the constitution, just look at the patriot act.
The Left/Dems/Liberals hate the Constitution, they re-signed the Patriot act and made it even more bullet proof.

Not to emention by-passing Congress when they can and talking about how the Constituion needs to be changed. Pelosi shows her ignorance about the Constitution at every turn and Obama shows his contempt and arrogance daily too.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Hmmm, and the last time I checked a Democrat is the current POTUS, and hasn't done a damn thing to repeal the Patriot Act!
Well, of course - no executive since Wilson has actively attempted to reduce the power of the executive, with the possible exception of Carter.

That's why it's called the Imperial Presidency - Rome wasn't built in a day.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I am fine with this as long as the training is provided free of charge and after that, we get to own whatever firearm we can afford.

Also, I think it is important for us as a country to regulate the exercise of the freedom of speech through strict background checks for all speakers, writer or author even private individuals, and I think it is important for anyone that wants to be a speaker, writer or author must pass a proper training course.
Has anyone ever accidentally shot and killed someone with freedom of speech? You are asking to have free range with deadly weapons, I think it is only common sense to have proper training and background checks on gun purchases.

I guess you could say you can also do background checks with freedom of speech and ignore that person if you like.

As for if the safety classes should be free or not, that should be a States issue if they wish to cover that cost or not, I think the only free training the Federal Government should offer is if you sign up for the military because that would classify as your training.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
The Left/Dems/Liberals hate the Constitution, they re-signed the Patriot act and made it even more bullet proof.
Yes, of course, both parties have colluded in abdicating Congressional responsibility in favor of the Imperial Presidency. Culpability is equally shared in this most essential point.

And partisanship isn't going to change it. The Imperial Presidency is now far too entrenched to be brought to heel by merely one party, particularly since neither party has any interest in doing so while it holds the White House, thereby leaving the task entirely to only the congressional rump.

Where culpability exists is the GOP insistence that it and only it is the true guardian of the Constitution: when very clearly it has colluded equally in creating the Imperial Presidency. It's a Republican lie, similar to the balderdash about being against "big government".

The only serious position on the Imperial Presidency is to advocate a new constitution - nothing less than a full revision is capable of restoring the balance between executive and legislative power in the United States.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:39 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Has anyone ever accidentally shot and killed someone with freedom of speech? You are asking to have free range with deadly weapons, I think it is only common sense to have proper training and background checks on gun purchases.

I guess you could say you can also do background checks with freedom of speech and ignore that person if you like.

As for if the safety classes should be free or not, that should be a States issue if they wish to cover that cost or not, I think the only free training the Federal Government should offer is if you sign up for the military because that would classify as your training.
So, it would be okay for the Federal Government to make the training mandatory, but you think the State Government should have to foot the bill for it?

Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
So, it would be okay for the Federal Government to make the training mandatory, but you think the State Government should have to foot the bill for it?
Actually I think it should be the States choice if they wish to foot the bill or not. Which if the Federal Government foot the bill, then that would mean ALL Americans were footing the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies