Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 05:55 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,032,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
My first thought when I see an AR-15 based rifle is "jamomatic", but I oppose any ban, even on that POS.

I see you don't get out and shoot a lot. Maybe you should try one someday. I shoot cheap Russian made ammo out of my AR's and no jams. Maybe you might of heard they jam by some other person and figured it was the truth, kind of like all the sheep watching TV news and thinking it's the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 05:58 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,217,924 times
Quote:
My first thought when I see an AR-15 based rifle is "jamomatic", but I oppose any ban, even on that POS.

I know someone with a HK416 and has over 20,000 rounds through it with no jams at all. the bugs have been worked out of this fine rifle and almost all of the jams you see with this rifle is more due to the ammo and not the rifle.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:11 AM

50,460 posts, read 47,177,398 times
Quote:
Mine is named

"Sir Jamalot"

Old 01-17-2013, 06:13 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,879,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I know someone with a HK416 and has over 20,000 rounds through it with no jams at all. the bugs have been worked out of this fine rifle and almost all of the jams you see with this rifle is more due to the ammo and not the rifle.
Wow! Must have a severe inferiority complex to require so much "support".

Old 01-17-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Wow! Must have a severe inferiority complex to require so much "support".

really bob? that the best you can do?

Old 01-17-2013, 06:15 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,879,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Mine is named

"Sir Jamalot"
I just call mine pecker.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:15 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,222,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
I see you don't get out and shoot a lot. Maybe you should try one someday. I shoot cheap Russian made ammo out of my AR's and no jams. Maybe you might of heard they jam by some other person and figured it was the truth, kind of like all the sheep watching TV news and thinking it's the truth.
I was in Vietnam.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
I was in Vietnam.

most AR15 these days are not like the 16 of the vietnam era. might look like the same rifle, but really quite different. also, ammo does make a difference as well when shooting any firearm.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:32 AM

39,889 posts, read 26,562,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgy View Post
Incorrect, the projectile was not designed to do this. Keyholing results from the projectile hitting other objects before hitting the target, imperfections in the muzzle causing the projectile to wobble and eventually flip around one or more axii (sp?) along its trajectory, or other outside influences. It is undesireable because it means accuracy is adversely affected.

You probably mean "yawing," but that will happen with any high-velocity fmj projectile regardless of caliber.

The 5.56 nato cartridge was derived from the .223 remington hunting cartridge, and they are practically identical, to the extent that many firearms will reliably fire both. I've never heard that either were inferior to other 22 caliber cartridges, and suspect that if they were, their popularity would be limited.
We should explain the terminology for those reading this. "Keyholing" refers to a bullet that is flying in any orientation when (how do I say this?) the axis of the bullet is not in like with the axis of flight. In other words, the cylindrical body of the bullet is a supposed to be in line with the direction it's flying, sort of like an arrow, which results in nice, round holes punched in the target. Keyholing is when this does not happen, where the bullet is wobbling or yawing and not flying "nose on", resulting in odd-shaped holes punched in the target.

Keyholing is highly undesirable, it results in a very inaccurate round. The AR-15 was originally designed to stabilize "military" ammo with a bullet weight of 62-69 grains. (Heavier bullets require faster twist rates to stabilize them). This rate is tight for 50-55 grain bullets that were commonly used for civilian loadings, at times "overspinning" them and causing them to yaw and keyhole. That is a pretty fast twist rate for a .224 caliber rifle, but works well with the 75 and 77 grain bullets commonly being used by long range target shooters these days.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:34 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,222,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
most AR15 these days are not like the 16 of the vietnam era. might look like the same rifle, but really quite different. also, ammo does make a difference as well when shooting any firearm.
Fine. Use whatever you have confidence in. I trust my Mini-14.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies