Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:18 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,804,241 times

Advertisements

I guess one person shooting herself with her own gun while the bad guy was wrestling with her, invalidates the dozens of times when a resident shoots the bad guy and ends the crime with no injuries to innocents... or the hundreds of times a resident drove off bad guys without firing at all... or the thousands of times some hoodlum thought about committing a crime but changed his mind when he considered the possiblity of getting shot by an armed victim.

Yep, your point that law-abiding people shouldn't have guns even when bad guys often do have them, is completely valid.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:21 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,068,137 times
There is always a chance a gun owner will have his or her gun taken away in a fight. That's why the responsible gun owner sleeps with his or her gun, loaded, usually on the bedstand within easy reach.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:37 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,169,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
No one is "grabbing" your gun.
Assault Weapons - Issues - United States Senator Dianne Feinstein

"Grandfathers" existing weapons covered by the ban, but they can't be sold or transferred. Upon your death, they must be surrendered to the government.

That is confiscation. Period. And it's not some no-name, no-power small town politician proposing it. It's Dianne Feinstein, author of the 1994 "Assault Weapon" Ban and California senator for over two decades.

Quote:
Even the first amendment has restrictions and so sould the 2nd amendment or we are no better than places like Beirut.
The 2nd Amendment already has THOUSANDS more restrictions on it than the 1st. That you would even suggest otherwise is stunning. It demonstrates a blatant lack of knowledge about what restrictions are placed on those rights.

Honestly, though, I can't say I'm surprised. There are certain people on this site that while very vocal and passionate about their beliefs, their passion isn't strong enough to lead them to actually researching and learning about the objects of that passion.

Quote:
You want a gun..... hey go knock yourself out BUT there is NOT one single reason why you need a semi automatic assault rifle or high capacity ammo clips.
Not your decision to make, any more than it's mine to say that there's not one single reason why you need to be able to express yourself on the Internet.

Quote:
You think your right to "bear arms" give you the right to encroach on my right not to be around guns....... well it doesn't.
What "right not to be around guns"? Produce the legal document that delineates that right.

You have the right to define the rules on your property, and I have no problem with you designating your home "gun free," but once you step onto the sidewalk, you're on public property, and as such are subject to exposure to anything and everything that's legal for other people to say or do, regardless of your personal preferences. If you want to live a 100% "not be around guns" life, keep that front door closed and have your groceries delivered, because that's the only way you're going to achieve it in this country. Of course, you're welcome to leave...

Quote:
You want to fill your home with guns..... hey go right ahead but the second you endanger my life by having your guns in public then you infringe on my freedom to live in a safe environment.
See above.

You're in Florida, right? Do you have any idea how many times you've stood next to a person carrying a concealed weapon? Of course you don't. Each time, it was concealed, and you were blissfully unaware that the weapon was there. Florida has a very large number of concealed weapon permit holders. Even I have a Florida CCW, and I live in Nevada.

Yes, you've spent far more time around guns than you realize, and somehow, you've managed to survive. Maybe those inanimate objects aren't as dangerous as you think.

Quote:
The 2nd amendment was written to enforce the need for citizens to be able to form a well "regulated" militia........... remember the word REGULATED..... that means proper regulations regarding the formation of a militia and the control of the guns used. That is how the 2nd amendmen was written and that is how it was meant.........
Wrong. Read the Federalist Papers. 'Nuff said.

Old 01-17-2013, 12:48 PM

16,773 posts, read 8,249,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
There is always a chance a gun owner will have his or her gun taken away in a fight. That's why the responsible gun owner sleeps with his or her gun, loaded, usually on the bedstand within easy reach.
And when their Teen aged child gets mad because they were made to put the trash out, they can be shot. Then the upset child can get the other weapons the gun owner has and ..........

This is not responsible gun ownership

Old 01-17-2013, 12:55 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,443,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
If only Texas had more lenient gun laws this would have never happened. Story is from two days ago.

Local Woman Shot With Own Gun Says She Was In A Fight For Her Life

Wow, about proves my other argument. If you have a gun, and you keep it safe, chances are it won't help you in any attack.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:02 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,861,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
No it is not. This country was founded by guns and we fought off the English with guns. Guns are necessary for a free State.
Most Countries are founded by use of weapons........... America is no different.
Yes you fought off the British with guns and yes guns were needed in those days to hunt and protect yourself.
The second amendment is NOT just about guns but about making sure that citizens were able and equipped to form a well regulated militia to protect themselves from external invasion and attack as their was no real army to defend them.
There was nothing to stop people having guns in those days and most people had guns so no need for a amendment regarding guns BUT there was a need to ensure that there were enough people with guns to form a well regulated militia (army) in times of attack etc. That was the whole reason for the 2nd amendment.......
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
It says that it was nesessary to have a well regulated miltia...... NECESSARY to have a militia and the amendment wanted to make sure that NOTHING could stop citzens having arms to be able to fight in a militia for the security of a free sate. This had NOTHING to do with people having guns to hunt etc etc.. it was ALL about making sure that citizens could bear arms if needed in a well regulated militia.
The real key in the 2nd amendment are actually the words Necessary and Bear Arms. This means that a militia was necessary for the protection of the state as there was no other military that could do this.... like Switzerland today. They do not have a army but citizens have guns locked in their homes so that if they need to defend the Country, they have access to weapons to "bear arms" against a common enemy. This does not mean a free for all in gun ownership... far from it as, like the 2nd amendment, gun ownership is "necessary" because of a lack of a army to protect the citizens.

You aren't going to save the 900 people even we have a 100% gun ban. Please show me a society there's no gun and no murder.
No one said that there are countries with NO murder but gun killings are shown to be far lower in Countries with strong gun laws so yes you probably would save the lives of most of those 900 also the Citizens do NOT need to keep guns in their homes or worry about their loved ones being mown down by gunfire when at school or in a cinema or shopping mall etc etc etc............ these massacres very rarely happen in Countries who control guns....... but happen here more and more and more..... Fact!

Step out of your denial and face it. There are evil people living in this world. They have no remorse gang-raping 4 years' your daughter and cutting your wife into pieces slowly.
There are evil people everywhere.
I have lived in a few Countries and know how gun control works or doesn't work. People in the USA are still raped or knifed or kidnapped etc BUT the countries with good gun control do NOT have the everyday murder and shooting and massacres of its Citizens as we do in the USA and the constant fear here of many that their loved one will be a victim of gun crime even in schools etc.
To say that guns make us safer here goes against all evidence of this around the world.
No one could now take guns away from everyone.... that could not happen as the Country is awash with guns BUT that does not negate us from getting stronger gun laws to assist our brave police officers in making our Country safe. Getting stronger control to stop the mentally ill being able to get their hands on a gun or two or three. No one knows who will snap and go off the deep end and shoot people until they actually do it but until then they are perfectly "normal" people with no problems getting a legal gun.
America has a gun culture and always will but that does not mean common sense and precautions should be thrown out the window just to make the NRA and gun and ammo manufacturers extremely wealthy.

Last edited by geeoro; 01-17-2013 at 01:10 PM..

Old 01-17-2013, 01:04 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,310,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Please, define "normal people" for us.

Half of all households in this country have a gun in them. What could be more "normal" that a voluntary act that half of the country participates in?

Tell me - do unicorns poop gold bricks in your reality? That would be pretty cool.
Half of homes do not own a gun. The majority of us households do not own a gun

Old 01-17-2013, 01:09 PM

46,374 posts, read 27,223,949 times
Quote:
I definitely wouldn't call children being massacred NO REASON or the daily shootings and killings here with guns NO REASON to regulate them.

What would YOU call a reason for restricting guns or do you see absolutely NO reason to restrict guns?
Please tell me over the last 60 years, how many mass murders were committed with this old nasty "assault weapon"?

Any child killing is 100% completely uncalled for, it shows the signs of weakness in that person, knowing they will not have resistance is a + for the killer...

Now, saying that, do you think it is right to use children to promote/push an agenda?

Do you know nearly 500 guns a day are stolen here in the United States? Yes that is a daily number, not a misprint.

Guns are restricted, you can buy a machine gun if you want to jump through all the hoops and have the money....

Once again, what we are talking about is a criminal, not a law abiding citizen.....why can you lefties not figure that out? Pleas tell me, what new laws a criminal is going to abide by?

Old 01-17-2013, 01:12 PM

46,374 posts, read 27,223,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
They just don`t care and body counts mean nothing to them.Not a whole lot different than Al Qaeda,fellow true believers.
FAKE outrage above.....

What about the children killed by gang bangers, while walking to school in Chicago? Where is your outrage at that?

You cannot take 1 instance, as bad as it is, to push an agenda....purely pathetic....on you and the leftists part.....

Old 01-17-2013, 01:12 PM

25,877 posts, read 16,591,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I suggest anyone keeping a gun for self defense get some effective training on when and how to do it.

You could start with: Never pull a gun on someone you are not going to shoot. Make the decision to kill the assailant before you get your gun. Then kill him a quickly as possible.
Don't think, shoot first right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies