Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:15 PM

46,317 posts, read 27,131,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
In the last month alone over 900 people have been killed by uneeded guns in our society.
I thought London had strict gun laws? Why/how all the murders with guns?

Old 01-17-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
I just wish TN didn't have such strict gun laws so this women would have been able to buy more guns.
You wish TN had stricter gun laws so that woman did not have a chance to defend herself and be raped....go ahead, tell the truth...

Old 01-17-2013, 01:18 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,129,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Half of homes do not own a gun. The majority of us households do not own a gun
Fewer people watch Monday Night Football than have a gun in their home.

Are you saying that watching football is abnormal?

A relatively tiny number of people use public transportation in this country. Is it not normal to take the bus somewhere?

So what percentage of the population needs to participate in an activity in order for that activity to be considered "normal"? What about those "normal" activities that have a lower participation rate than gun ownership?

Face it, Iamme, you're outgunned on this one. Take your defeat like a man (or woman, if that's the case) and admit that you're just plain wrong. You are, you know...

Old 01-17-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Don't think, shoot first right?
If I know that person does not belong in my house, then yes....(notice I said does not belong in my house, that means I know it's not family or friends).

let me guess, when a person would break into your house, you would ask them first....

PullMyFinger: Ahhhhhhhh excuse me, do you know you are in my house.

Intruder: Yea, what's your problem?

PullMyFinger: Ohhhh, nothing just take what you want, don't worry I don't have a gun either....oh and BTW, if yo want to rape me you can....

Old 01-17-2013, 01:23 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Cool!

As long as someone got shot!

Old 01-17-2013, 01:26 PM

308 posts, read 398,587 times
Quote:
just like Switzerland today. They do not have a army
They do indeed.
Military of Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In any case, the 2nd amendment has little to do with protecting the US from foreign enemies.

There are, have been, and will always be, murders and massacres in large societies all over the planet. It is, for now, a byproduct of human psychology. Until an improved human can be designed, they'll happen. Your claim that perfectly normal people just suddenly snap and go off on mass killing sprees is not supported by even anecdotal evidence. The most common type of murder is a crime of passion directed against a single individual or a few close family members and is committed with whatever is at hand. This type of crime will not be effectively addressed by any ban or restriction on firearms - on the contrary, it would leave many victims of such crimes defenseless.

The US is not Europe, and European solutions may not work as well as a lot of Europeans (and some Americans, apparently) believe.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:27 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,938,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
There is always a chance a gun owner will have his or her gun taken away in a fight. That's why the responsible gun owner sleeps with his or her gun, loaded, usually on the bedstand within easy reach.
Yes, this is very responsible behavior. It has also resulted in domestic partners being shot (to death) returning to bed after a wee hours (sorry) whiz. Also the "hundreds" and "thousands" of successful crime thwarts by gun owners pales in comparison to the hundreds of thousands of failures. The NRA is no longer able to spout their propaganda without push-back. We now have DATA from unbiased sources. Even if the margin of error was 10% (huge) the fact is: only ~2%!!! of home invasions are successfully thwarted by a gun owning home-owner. The rest of the time the thief beat the home owner to the gun and used it to subdue the home owner and complete the robbery, or it didn't factor into the invasion at all, because neither the thief(s) nor the home owner was able to access the gun in order to use it to any advantage.

If condoms were as useful at preventing pregnancy (~2%), as a gun in the nightstand is at preventing home invasion, they would be outlawed. As it is, at 99% effectiveness, condoms are still considered only ok as a contraceptive. Their main attribute is STD prevention. Best practice is to use either the Pill or an IUD and a condom. In one of the stories being discussed it says that the intruders entered through an unlocked back door... ... wild shooting with children in the house... its clear the homeowner wasn't thinking. FEAR will do that to you. Maybe one should lock the doors, unless (even if) the gun is implanted in your fore-arm, Cyborg style.

H

Old 01-17-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
We now have DATA from unbiased sources.
H
All you have to do is provide the link.....

Old 01-17-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You wish TN had stricter gun laws so that woman did not have a chance to defend herself and be raped....go ahead, tell the truth...
Your arguments make no sense. People are being raped, muredered and robbed in some of the most gun liberal places in this country. What do LAWS have to do with it. Arizona has about what amounts to no laws at all concerning guns. Go ahead, tell me that no one gets raped there... or robbed... or murdered...

H

Old 01-17-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
All you have to do is provide the link.....
And then what? Tell you what, you prove that what I said is not so, if you are able.

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies