Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 02:50 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,879,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Which cancer?
What does it matter? There's no cure now, and you aren't some pharmaceutical research scientist, maybe an all-encompassing cure could exist? I mean, doctors admit they don't know 'exactly' what triggers cancer.

Last edited by Some_Random_Guy; 01-17-2013 at 03:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 02:51 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,158,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sorry, I didn't realize hepatitis was a touchy subject with you.
It isn't, man. I avoid dirty joints.

You?

Old 01-17-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sorry, I didn't realize hepatitis was a touchy subject with you.
Him and Tommy Lee used to go deep sea fishing together.

Old 01-17-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Him and Tommy Lee used to go deep sea fishing together.
Say, what?

Old 01-17-2013, 03:00 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Are We Wasting Billions Seeking a Cure for Cancer? - The Daily Beast

It is difficult to disagree with the Dr. and author of the book. Prevention is being ignored by the mainstream medical and research sector and Cancer appears to be a major cash cow for the Pharmaceutical companies business as usual.

Doctors are taught to not "CURE" anything, but to TREAT.
There's too much money involved in finding cures, expensive drugs, and the endless stream of patients to be tapped. You could argue that big Pharma and big Agra are colluding. With gene modified crops,food additives, the lie that fluoride (an aluminum byproduct XXPOISONXX) is good for teeth, sugarless carcinogens being passed off as natural. Is it any wonder that cancer is on the rise?

They'd be killing the golden goose if they actually cured it.

Old 01-17-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Doctors are taught to not "CURE" anything, but to TREAT.
There's too much money involved in finding cures, expensive drugs, and the endless stream of patients to be tapped. You could argue that big Pharma and big Agra are colluding. With gene modified crops,food additives, the lie that fluoride (an aluminum byproduct XXPOISONXX) is good for teeth, sugarless carcinogens being passed off as natural. Is it any wonder that cancer is on the rise?

They'd be killing the golden goose if they actually cured it.
Trick and Treat.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:59 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
What does it matter? There's no cure now, and you aren't some pharmaceutical research scientist, maybe an all-encompassing cure could exist? I mean, doctors admit they don't know 'exactly' what triggers cancer.
My cancer is 90% curable (close to 99% if diagnosed in stage I or II if you are under 50) and there are other cancers such as early stage ovarian and thyroid cancer that approach 99%. There will never be a "cure" for all forms of every cancer, just like how people still die from the flu despite being a virtually curable illness. I anticipate that some day, researchers will figure out why that 10% of people have particularly chemo-resistant types of Hodgkin's - be it the Hodgkin's cells themselves, something genetic, whatever. I would still say that there is a cure for people with non-chemo resistant Hodgkin's lymphoma in patients who are otherwise healthy.

I may not be a pharmaceutical research scientist, but I did take 9th grade biology. Cancer is not a monolith but a bunch of diseases grouped together due to the commonality of uncontrolled cell growth. The problem is, the cells are different and the cause of growth is different even within the same type of cancer. Doctors certainly know what causes some cancers. Mine has no know cause... yet. But another subtype of my cancer is triggered by the mono virus - something genetic (but not hereditary) switches on when exposed to mono. It may be years before that part of DNA is identified, and it will likely never be cost effective to isolate it for the 2000 people a year diagnosed with THAT subset of an already uncommon cancer... but it's there. Same with identifying HPV as causing 70% of cervical cancer.

We might not know what triggers pancreatic cancer or liver cancer yet - but that's largely because there are too few survivors to carry the banner. Survivors make better advocates than coffins, unfortunately.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:07 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but oncologists, nurses, and researchers do not own our pharmaceutical companies, hospitals, or research labs. When I said I believe they already have a cure for cancer, in no way, shape, or form did I intend to cast aspersions on the dedicated doctors, nurses, or researchers who work tirelessly to help cancer patients. But, they are not the big dogs who profit. And yes, there is much greed and corruption by those at the top.
Maybe you have more faith in people to keep secrets than I do. If you really believe that all of the THOUSANDS of researchers, executives, clinical trial managers, clinical trial patients, and others who would come in contact with a "cancer" cure would be able to keep their mouths shut, then power to you. It's incredibly unrealistic. Then again, people throw tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars at the Burzynski Clinic despite it patently being a placebo with absolutely no medical validity whatsoever, leaving them broke before they die an often preventable death. Apparently if you want to believe something enough, even the quacks sound legitimate.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
My cancer is 90% curable (close to 99% if diagnosed in stage I or II if you are under 50) and there are other cancers such as early stage ovarian and thyroid cancer that approach 99%. There will never be a "cure" for all forms of every cancer, just like how people still die from the flu despite being a virtually curable illness. I anticipate that some day, researchers will figure out why that 10% of people have particularly chemo-resistant types of Hodgkin's - be it the Hodgkin's cells themselves, something genetic, whatever. I would still say that there is a cure for people with non-chemo resistant Hodgkin's lymphoma in patients who are otherwise healthy.

I may not be a pharmaceutical research scientist, but I did take 9th grade biology. Cancer is not a monolith but a bunch of diseases grouped together due to the commonality of uncontrolled cell growth. The problem is, the cells are different and the cause of growth is different even within the same type of cancer. Doctors certainly know what causes some cancers. Mine has no know cause... yet. But another subtype of my cancer is triggered by the mono virus - something genetic (but not hereditary) switches on when exposed to mono. It may be years before that part of DNA is identified, and it will likely never be cost effective to isolate it for the 2000 people a year diagnosed with THAT subset of an already uncommon cancer... but it's there. Same with identifying HPV as causing 70% of cervical cancer.

We might not know what triggers pancreatic cancer or liver cancer yet - but that's largely because there are too few survivors to carry the banner. Survivors make better advocates than coffins, unfortunately.
Well, I wish you the best in your treatment/recovery, and you're right, it's extremely complex.

As Michio Kaku has explained, the human body is a primitive evolutionary form of being, and we will never truly have been evolved until our existence no longer requires a physical presence.

That idea is a bit controversial, of course.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:59 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Maybe you have more faith in people to keep secrets than I do. If you really believe that all of the THOUSANDS of researchers, executives, clinical trial managers, clinical trial patients, and others who would come in contact with a "cancer" cure would be able to keep their mouths shut, then power to you. It's incredibly unrealistic. Then again, people throw tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars at the Burzynski Clinic despite it patently being a placebo with absolutely no medical validity whatsoever, leaving them broke before they die an often preventable death. Apparently if you want to believe something enough, even the quacks sound legitimate.
Are you kidding? There's plenty of "top secret" research in this country. But, I'm not talking about THOUSANDS of researchers, executives, or clinical trial managers keeping a secret. It only takes one researcher, one lab, one executive, etc. Money has silenced many tongues.

I wish you the best with your cancer remission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies