Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 04:59 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times

Advertisements

I agree with conservatives on many issues but this one makes no sense. They will fight the legalization of a safe substance just as hard as they will same sex marriage and abortion. The thing is, there is no religious ban on marijuana usage so it can't be fought from that angle. They are for personal liberties until it comes to something pleasurable then they fight it tooth and nail. Just like alcohol and tobacco, marijuana should be a personal choice as long as one doesnt get behind the wheel while under the influence. We need a serious libertarian candidate who will bring back the principles this country was founded on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 05:00 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,778 times
Because they hate freedom.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:05 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I agree with conservatives on many issues but this one makes no sense. They will fight the legalization of a safe substance just as hard as they will same sex marriage and abortion. The thing is, there is no religious ban on marijuana usage so it can't be fought from that angle. They are for personal liberties until it comes to something pleasurable then they fight it tooth and nail. Just like alcohol and tobacco, marijuana should be a personal choice as long as one doesnt get behind the wheel while under the influence. We need a serious libertarian candidate who will bring back the principles this country was founded on.
And President Obama and Democrats in Congress and state legislatures are all for legalizing drugs. It's just freedom-hating republicans stopping them. : smack:

THREAD FAIL

Old 01-17-2013, 05:07 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,164,769 times
Quote:
Not me. I'm all for legalizing weed. Now roll me a phatty!

Old 01-17-2013, 05:09 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,475,344 times
I think most rank and file conservatives are ahead of their self-appointed spokesmen on this particular issue. Decriminalization is widely supported in most polls--widely enough that there must be a pretty good number of conservatives taking that view.

A few liberals, such as Patrick Kennedy, are anti-legalization.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:11 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,823 times
Quote:
You're right. Marijuana should be legalized. I am not going to smoke it and people smoke it anyway even if it is illegal. I think it would help free up police to handle criminals who hurt people instead of having the cops arrest some guy who is carrying a small amount of marijuana.

If we want people to stay off drugs, education and not banning everything would be the best way to do it.

You are also right about a good libertarian candidate in the White House. We need someone who will cut some spending, keep us out of wars, and restore freedom.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:18 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,519,018 times
I'm conservative and support the liberty of marijuana. You're thinking of Republicans, OP. Remember though, the Dems are just as responsible for the drug war.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:29 PM

569 posts, read 671,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
I'm conservative and support the liberty of marijuana. You're thinking of Republicans, OP. Remember though, the Dems are just as responsible for the drug war.
I don't think this is a D or R issue. I think it has more to do with having to wait for the Reefer Madness generation to die out or at least have no political power.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:31 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,519,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidgetsmidget View Post
or at least have no political power.
I'll celebrate that day.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:32 PM

30,313 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Thank you for proving once again that liberals can't think.
But when conservatives say liberals hate freedom, it's some kind of brilliant revelation? Yeah, okay.

P.S. If liberals "can't think," why are they by & large more highly educated and earning more than conservatives? Hmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies