Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 01:27 PM

657 posts, read 695,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I don't own a car so texting in a moving vehicle for me doesn't put others in danger.
I see.. so you are ok if they run you over. Gotcha...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 02:01 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post

we need to ban all cell phones, after all it will be worth it if it will save 1 childs life.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:11 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
The human mind is not made for doing different things that require attention at the same time. Isn't talking on the cell phone while driving also illegal? Isn't that why they invented handsfree systems in the first place? Makes me wonder why there isn't any app that allows you to speak your text message onto your cell phone...

Old 01-19-2013, 02:14 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The human mind is not made for doing different things that require attention at the same time. Isn't talking on the cell phone while driving also illegal? Isn't that why they invented handsfree systems in the first place? Makes me wonder why there isn't any app that allows you to speak your text message onto your cell phone...
Hands have nothing to do with it, the conversation itself is distraction, and just as distracting as talking to a passenger. Texting physically takes your eyes off the road, which is different much more dangerous.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Hands have nothing to do with it, the conversation itself is distraction, and just as distracting as talking to a passenger. Texting physically takes your eyes off the road, which is different much more dangerous.
Hands have to do with it because you have to look what your hands are doing, thus you look away from the road.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:56 PM

334 posts, read 451,113 times
There is NOTHING these people are chatting or texting about that can't wait until they get where they are going.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:08 PM

654 posts, read 3,456,977 times
There's a billboard I see frequently where I am that says "Stop the Texts, Stop the Wrecks"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I think there are some phones where you can speak your text message--a friend of mine has a phone that has that capability. Matter of fact, my phone can do it too...press the mic button and then you speak your words then they appear on the screen. Pretty neat!

Old 01-19-2013, 03:28 PM

Yes, nice. Then again, why text in the first place when talking anyway? You might as well use an answering machine I think text messages as such are a bit outdated. People only ruin their fingers

Old 01-19-2013, 03:29 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
This should be illegal, and it should face penalties if it is proven to cause accident/fatalities, similar to other forms of distracted driving - and it is.

Only a conservative would advocate a world where texting/internet surfing while driving is unrestricted and free of legal consequence in the event of an accident. While we're at it, we may as well just ignore traffic lights and drive on whichever side of the road we feel like.
No, see...we need to ban texting altogether...not JUST driving...right? Because that's the only way we can assure that no children die....right?

Let's not be pretentious.....no length of legislation short of an outright, fascist ban will significantly reduce these incidents from happening...So why play coy, just come out and say what you want... There is no concession when it comes to these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
A number of states already ban using a cell phone while driving. If you think that is wrong you should time yourself on how long you start at the screen and then realize that is the amount of time you are not looking at the road.
How well does that law work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Texting while driving is illegal in many parts of the country.
Does it stop texting while driving????

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Then why are we getting upset in this thread about the notion of making driving while texting illegal and consequential with penalties if caught?
Nobody is getting upset..

We have a clear issue with people dying from texting while driving...even in states where it's banned, which is actually most of them. And it's not working well... because people still do it everyday, all day.

So, what is the next step?

See...?

Old 01-19-2013, 03:32 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,912,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
we need to ban all cell phones, after all it will be worth it if it will save 1 childs life.
Exactly...this is what it comes around to....

Children have died from these accidents... over 6 years and 16,000 people dead... more than 27 of them have been children..

WHERE IS THE "OMG WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS???!!!!" outrage....

27 children dead in 6 years and and 27 children dead in one day is still the same. it's still 27 children dead in each scenario.

A mass murder does not make it any more tragic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies