Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,585,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
That is all we heard Obama say all summer long. He was implying that Americans are now safe because of the great one Obama (in his mind).

How many people were killed by Al-Quaeda in the past week?

What happened Obama.. caught in a lie AGAIN!

Then: Al Qaeda crashing airliners into US landmarks, killing thousands.

Now: Al Qaeda attacking an isolated oil company outpost in the Sahara.

The irrational right's reaction?

Prepare for the apocalypse!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 06:34 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
The people taking theses kinds of jobs in these kinds of places are well paid, but obviously it carries a risk of something like this happening. Apparently neither Norway, nor UK provided any kind of security, but then again, why should then since these are private companies.

It's bizzarre to see people trying to twist this into an Obama issue, but I guess some people just can't help themselves.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:11 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
List out all the "new wars" right now where we have troops on the ground getting slaughtered.
A list takes time and I'm off to work, but will leave you with some reading material:

Obama
"We can’t pull out without handing a victory to the Taliban, and after Obama’s attempts at winning over the “moderate” Taliban failed, he has no choice but to stay in, while lying about it".

I'm thinking you want a list of all that has been going on since Bush has left office and Obama promised to stop the fighting and bring the troops home. Is that correct? If our troops have indeed come home. I must have slept through the party.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:43 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,585,553 times
Bush started Afghanistan and had 8 years to end it, but instead he mismanaged it into an unwinnable quagmire.

Bush started Iraq and had six years to end it, but mismanaged it into an unwinnable quagmire.

But you conservobots sure love to gripe about how Obama hasn't cleaned it all up in 4 years.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:07 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
A list takes time and I'm off to work, but will leave you with some reading material:

Obama
"We can’t pull out without handing a victory to the Taliban, and after Obama’s attempts at winning over the “moderate” Taliban failed, he has no choice but to stay in, while lying about it".
There will never be victory in Afghanistan. Everyone who had boots on the ground will tell you that. Those that still serve can't speak out and say it. Even higher ranking officers know that there is no victory to be had in Afghanistan.

There will be as much victory pulling out of Afghanisgtan as the US had when the Vietnam War ended - which was NONE.

Quote:
During the Vietnam War, Sen. George Aiken, a Vermont Republican, was famous for suggesting that we declare victory and go home. (What he actually said is a little more nuanced, but that was the popular perception.)

/snip

And even maintaining the incomplete and tenuous gains of the last few years will be impossible unless Afghanistan continues to receive substantial U.S. assistance. The Defense Department's Report on Progress Toward Security and Stability in Afghanistan concedes that only one of 23 Afghan army brigades is able to operate on its own. The Afghan forces, though fighting hard and taking considerable casualties, still need American "enablers" such as artillery, air support, medevac, logistics and intelligence. Afghanistan will not even have a functioning air force until 2017 at the earliest.
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan...rawal-20130115

And there we go arming the enemy, again. 2017 AT THE EARLIEST. That means the US could be in Afghanistan until 2025 or beyond.

No matter what we do, at some point we have to withdraw completely and it will pretty much go back to business as usual in Afghanistan, as did Iraq.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
There will never be victory in Afghanistan. Everyone who had boots on the ground will tell you that. Those that still serve can't speak out and say it. Even higher ranking officers know that there is no victory to be had in Afghanistan.

There will be as much victory pulling out of Afghanisgtan as the US had when the Vietnam War ended - which was NONE.

How many U.S. troops will Afghanistan need? - Los Angeles Times

And there we go arming the enemy, again. 2017 AT THE EARLIEST. That means the US could be in Afghanistan until 2025 or beyond.

No matter what we do, at some point we have to withdraw completely and it will pretty much go back to business as usual in Afghanistan, as did Iraq.
I read some where that the young adults who were just children when the 9-11 event took place are looking at our troops and wondering why they are there. If I were of that culture and no one was telling me what was going on, it would look suspect to me too.

People don't see Obama the same as they saw Bush, with the same policies still in practice. So yea, it looks suspect to me.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:20 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
I read some where that the young adults who were just children when the 9-11 event took place are looking at our troops and wondering why they are there. If I were of that culture and no one was telling me what was going on, it would look suspect to me too.

People don't see Obama the same as they saw Bush, with the same policies still in practice. So yea, it looks suspect to me.
There was never a reason to be Afghanistan to begin with. I'm sure you may think there was, but that's probably due to your ignorance concerning geopolitics; and especially those of the middle eastern area of the globe. The only thing suspect was how Commander-in-Chief Bush duped the american people into going and fighting there(Afghanistan), and then into Iraq, too. It's not too hard, though, with a populace that can name all the Kardashians.....but not even name just two middle eastern country leaders, or even be able to locate Afghanistan on a map! Ignorance is bliss for these folks, and blissful they are.....indeed.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:26 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Maybe we should listen to Al jazeera?

Article about obama's 'good war'.

Obama defends his 'good war' - Focus - Al Jazeera English

The big diff between GWB and BHO is that the propaganduist media ran with the out of context comment by GWB and trumpeted it loud and long. When obama calls Afghanistan the 'good war' and then proclaims AQ is toast just before Bengazi, proves without a doubt the media is a propaganda arm of Obama administration as not a peep is uttered.

It is the media which magnifies issues for national attention. If an event is not covered it is as if it never happened.

The action of the news media should scare the pants off any citizen not declared, non compos mentis.

Please note the trend, a nobel peace prize for no accomplishments, no journalistic investigation into Solyndra, fast and furious, murder of an ambassador, calling fort hood workplace violence, journalists confabing to encourage charging racism against those opposed to Obama's policies, etc.

Scream all you want about Obama but the press continues to supress the opposition.

You have essentially been silenced as the echo of your words fades away against the stone walls of your jail cell created by supressed information and constructed by the main stream media.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
There was never a reason to be Afghanistan to begin with. I'm sure you may think there was, but that's probably due to your ignorance concerning geopolitics; and especially those of the middle eastern area of the globe. The only thing suspect was how Commander-in-Chief Bush duped the american people into going and fighting there(Afghanistan), and then into Iraq, too. It's not too hard, though, with a populace that can name all the Kardashians.....but not even name just two middle eastern country leaders, or even be able to locate Afghanistan on a map! Ignorance is bliss for these folks, and blissful they are.....indeed.
According to what I hear these days is that we are there on a training mission.

No one knows what is going on there any more than they know what is going on here, or any of the why's of it all. I'm talking about the general population.

Also, if Bush hadn't done what he did, he would have been labeled a coward. He was in a damn if you do, damn if you don't situation. Any one not seeing that is blind to the American people and how vicious and fickle they can be.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:37 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,775,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
That is all we heard Obama say all summer long. He was implying that Americans are now safe because of the great one Obama (in his mind).

How many people were killed by Al-Quaeda in the past week?

What happened Obama.. caught in a lie AGAIN!
Al Qaeda has gone from the 9/11 attacks to a loosely affiliated group of criminals and terrorists who took hostages. It sounds to me like Al Qaeda is on the decline. I'm not a rabid partisan, though, so that may cloud my judgement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies