Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:36 PM

630 posts, read 1,265,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Not similar at all. I didn't envy ANYTHING about Bush. I've never heard anything so ridiculous. We made fun of Bush for being dumb because we thought he was dumb. There was nothing to read between the lines. It was that simple. Really.
I disagree. I didn't think Bush was that smart either and I didn't envy him, but I was envious of the fact that the Karl Rove machine could take this privileged good old boy and market him as the friendly and down to earth "packaging" for an administration that did a lot of damage in its 8 years. Kerry tried his hardest to highlight the failings of his administration but all Bush had to do was put on his "aw shucks persona" and people somehow trusted him I think there was a lot of frustration from the left over this fact, hence the constant criticism of inconsequential quirks, like the way he said "nucular."

I draw parallels to this because I see the same frustration the right has over our "teflon president." I've never heard so much shouting about a president using a teleprompter, but conservatives whine about it all the time. Again, the result of frustration over the fact that he's a great orater who has inspired many people through his speeches. They don't have anyone on the Republican side who comes close so they make fun of him instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
Not similar at all. I didn't envy ANYTHING about Bush. I've never heard anything so ridiculous. We made fun of Bush for being dumb because we thought he was dumb. There was nothing to read between the lines. It was that simple. Really.

Yeah, right. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 01-20-2013, 08:50 PM

47 posts, read 70,739 times
[quote=workaholics;27859354]Conservatives on this forum constantly refer to Obama in a sarcastic manner as the messiah, the chosen one, or god like. Is this because you can't fight the fact that he's incredibly inspirational to many people so you just make fun of it? Because it's never the Obama supporters who say this kind of stuff.

Obama has been able to bounce back from a rough first term because people instill a lot of their hopes and aspirations in his presidency, and you haven't been able to successfully convince them that his time in office has been a bust. So instead, you mock their strong support as a cult like devotion to a false god. I just don't think yall get it.

It's kind of like how Democrats always made fun of Bush for being "dumb" because they were envious of his appeal to the average joe.

Read Obama's books....then, you will get it. Speaking as a (I), I get it.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:02 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
I think it came from his first inaugural speech when he said now the oceans will stop rising with his election. Then the media acts like he can walk on water and that is the other part.

Carl Rove might have made Bush seem a good ole boy but Obama's handlers make him seem like the Messiah. I can still hear Oprah saying---"He is the ONE" like he had mystical powers. It comes from that, IMO.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:14 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
95% of black people give Barack Obama a postive approval rating. 95%!!!

Aside from the fact that black people like to tell us that they are not a monolith (what a freakin joke!), it's pretty evident that Barack Obama is in fact a "messiah" to black folks.

Only 5% think he's doing a ****ty job?! Give me a break!

There are only two things certain in life: Taxes and Death. And if you're a black person, there's a third certainty: That Barack Obama Can Do No Wrong.™

The statistics tell the story. It's embarrassing.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:40 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

Aside from the fact that black people like to tell us that they are not a monolith (what a freakin joke!), it's pretty evident that Barack Obama is in fact a "messiah" to black folks.

There are only two things certain in life: Taxes and Death. And if you're a black person, there's a third certainty: That Barack Obama Can Do No Wrong.â„¢

No, not a messiah....they are just proud to have an African American as president. For the older AA generation who lived during the civil rights movement, I'm sure they never thought they would see this happen in their lifetime. They are proud and have every reason to be. And most AA's are democrats anyway. I don't think a Republican AA candidate would get the same votes. The only ones who call Obama messiah are conservatives. And I know some just can't stand having a black man in the highest power. And that is what is embarrassing.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:43 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

There are only two things certain in life: Taxes and Death. And if you're a black person, there's a third certainty: That Barack Obama Can Do No Wrong.â„¢

Blacks also voted 90%+ for Clinton.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:47 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Blacks also voted 90%+ for Clinton.
When you're raised your entire life to believe that the gov. should take care of you from birth to death you tend to worship anyone who claims to want to do that for you. It's refreshing to know that 10% of black Americans escape that kind of mentality and actually think for themselves. It's a shame that as soon as they think for themselves they become targets for those who couldn't think their way out of a wet paper bag.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:50 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
When you're raised your entire life to believe that the gov. should take care of you from birth to death you tend to worship anyone who claims to want to do that for you. It's refreshing to know that 10% of black Americans escape that kind of mentality and actually think for themselves. It's a shame that as soon as they think for themselves they become targets for those who couldn't think their way out of a wet paper bag.
Uh no, blacks know that the party of birthers, self deportation, trickle down economics and bigots is not what they want no matter how many tokens it hires.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:55 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Uh no, blacks know that the party of birthers, self deportation, trickle down economics and bigots is not what they want no matter how many tokens it hires.
"Blacks" or at least 90 something percent of them don't care about any of that, they vote for whoever they're told to vote for. Millions of black people went into voting booths around this country in November to vote for the "black guy" and that's it.

They wouldn't know what any of the talking point terms you just posted even mean if their lives depended on it, they know who the bus driver and/or labor leader told them to vote for and nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies