Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 11:49 AM

20,476 posts, read 12,398,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
That a cluster of cells is a human being is a:

(1) Religions position
(2) Based on religious ideology
(3) Promoted by the religious
(4) Politicized by the religious
(5) Proselytized by certain religions
(6) For the purpose of FORCING other people to see clusters of cells as walking, talking human beings.

And I don't like being proselytized, no matter what it is. I don't find it amusing, I'm not going to ever find it amusing, and I think it's a heinous attempt to gain control of MY BODY.

As I said previously, stay out of my chichi, and if YOU don't believe you should remove the cluster of cells, then by all means DO NOT, but stay out of MY CHICHI.
Cluster of cells.... Once again the prokillababy side devolves the argument to something silly.

You act as if the vast majority of abortions are done in the first weeks of pregnancy. That simply is not true.

by the time most abortions occur, the baby looks like a baby.

Further, this wuold be a very different argument if the left was not so all fired up about protecting abortions up to and including the ninth month of pregnancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 12:05 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,271,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Cluster of cells.... Once again the prokillababy side devolves the argument to something silly.

You act as if the vast majority of abortions are done in the first weeks of pregnancy. That simply is not true.

Further, this wuold be a very different argument if the left was not so all fired up about protecting abortions up to and including the ninth month of pregnancy.
When does a fetus look like a baby?

Old 01-25-2013, 12:11 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,738,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

I don't belong to your religion, I don't believe the ideas in your religion, and I don't plan to follow your religion's ideology about clusters of cells being a walking, talking human. I don't like religions trying to legislate my life with religious concepts they believe. Once again, if YOU don't believe in aborting clusters of cells, it's very simple: DON'T DO IT.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,593,591 times
Quote:
ALL cells have DNA - bacterial cells, kidney cells, vestigial organs. SO WHAT? What does any of that have to do with the fact that the notion of a cluster of cells being a living, talking human, is a religious notion believed by religious people, and promoted by them politically?
I haven't heard them say that they are talking; that would be completely ridiculous. They may say they would have the opportunity to talk in coming years.

At conception, the DNA is distinct from mother and father and it is a living organism with it's own genetic identify. Your skin, blood, hair etc. is not.

If you took care of your skin and put lotion etc. on it and stayed out of the sun, used natural products in your hair and didn't damage it with a hair dryer, and did whatever it is you do to nails, in two years none of those things would be looking at you, talking to you, walking and wouldn't go on to school.

If you puposely scraped the skin, took kidney cells etc. from a person different from yourself without their consent, you could be charged with a crime.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:17 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,030,742 times
Abortion is wrong.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:18 PM

63,007 posts, read 29,194,251 times
Quote:
This is a 100% religious issue which married politics, and I don't like being proselytized at with ANY religion, and I don't care a rat's ***** which religion it is. I think people need to keep their brand of religion to themselves and quit pushing it on others. I see it as a con game.
So the pro-choicers aren't pushing their beliefs on the pro-lifers? Some of our laws are based on the Ten Commandments. Shall we toss them all out also because they are a part of religious teachings? The hypocricy is on the left, not the right.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
If you puposely scraped the skin, took kidney cells etc. from a person different from yourself without their consent, you could be charged with a crime.
Very true, just as you can't hold up someone, torture steal from, or rape them.

Do me a favor. Tell me what you think of people who are against the "pro-life" movement. I don't just mean that you think we're wrong. I mean, what do you think is the REASON? I keep thinking you're thinking there's some ulterior motive or something. That's why I ask. Be honest and pour your heart out. It'll help me understand your thinking.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So the pro-choicers aren't pushing their beliefs on the pro-lifers?
I'm not kidnapping pro-life pregnant women and aborting them, am I? I'm not trying to get laws legislated to force pro-lifers to have abortions, am I? I'm minding my own business. I expect pro-lifers to mind theirs, but they just can't, can they? They've got to be all up in my chichi.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I haven't heard them say that they are talking; that would be completely ridiculous. They may say they would have the opportunity to talk in coming years.

At conception, the DNA is distinct from mother and father and it is a living organism with it's own genetic identify. Your skin, blood, hair etc. is not.

If you took care of your skin and put lotion etc. on it and stayed out of the sun, used natural products in your hair and didn't damage it with a hair dryer, and did whatever it is you do to nails, in two years none of those things would be looking at you, talking to you, walking and wouldn't go on to school.

I don't know how to tell you this, but keep your religious beliefs that a cluster of cells should be classified as a living, breathing human to yourself. As I said, you don't want to abort? DON'T ABORT. Keep out of my organs. They're ME, MINE, ME. Now run along.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:34 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,593,591 times
Quote:
Very true, just as you can't hold up someone, torture steal from, or rape them.

Do me a favor. Tell me what you think of people who are against the "pro-life" movement. I don't just mean that you think we're wrong. I mean, what do you think is the REASON? I keep thinking you're thinking there's some ulterior motive or something. That's why I ask. Be honest and pour your heart out. It'll help me understand your thinking.
Okay, and thank you for being open to a discussion. I think there are well meaning people on both sides of the debate. I also think that there are some at the extremes of both sides and those tend to be the voices heard in the discussion. I'm actually to the center, but I would like to have the conversation based on factual information. For example, I have made my point about human life at conception. I also think that at this point, it's clearly qualitatively different from at birth, and that those who call people murderers at that point are also extreme in their views. I think it's a continuum as is all human development. The question becomes at what point you allow abortion along that continuum, if you're going to have abortion. I believe that most that would say abortion could happen at a later stage than I, have a different point at which they think the benefits outweigh the issue of stopping a life. I honestly can't understand the people that think abortion should be okay up until birth or at partial birth in the absence of a real threat to the mother. Depending on the person because it certainly varies, I would wonder about being very cold and selfish, uncaring, possibly mentally ill - again, I would need to know more about the individual case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies