Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 10:07 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times

Advertisements

Because it is easier to make people riled up by talking about meaningless dribble. It gets the vote out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 11:48 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Social issues get to the heart and core of who we are--what rights we have as an individual in making very personal decisions. If the economy is bad, I can still work out a way to beat the averages and work my way to the top, but if the government says I can't marry someone I love, I can't use reliable birth control like the pill (personhood amendments) yadda yadda yadda, there's no working around it.

It's interesting to me that radical right wing R's are the ones pushing the draconian social issues, yet they're the first ones to complain--to ask why we're not focusing on the economy instead--when people jump up in arms and fight back.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:55 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Don't get me wrong, its cool with me gay people can get married, just go to work and pay taxes and you are fine by me.

But why is gay marriage such a massive issue? I mean its definitely worth mentioning, but it seems alot of people are revolving a large part of there vote based on it. I mean its estimated only about 4% of the poulation is gay, The media/TV is very gay friendly

Abortion, this topic will be argued for a long time. It is a topic so split there will likely never be a change as you push away half of your voters.

I mean I understand, war, foreign policy, jobs, taxes, economy, etc.... Just seems like a large part of the population is fooled by smoke and mirrors, and doesnt see real issues.
We have the largest religious conservative population in the 1st World, and they feel their interpretation of the Bible must be applied to all citizens of this country.

Thus social issues become a big issue in politics.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:02 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Social issues get to the heart and core of who we are--what rights we have as an individual in making very personal decisions. If the economy is bad, I can still work out a way to beat the averages and work my way to the top, but if the government says I can't marry someone I love, I can't use reliable birth control like the pill (personhood amendments) yadda yadda yadda, there's no working around it.

It's interesting to me that radical right wing R's are the ones pushing the draconian social issues, yet they're the first ones to complain--to ask why we're not focusing on the economy instead--when people jump up in arms and fight back.

Where has birth control ever been denied?

Marry someone you love? Its less then 4% of the population that legally can't. You still can perform ceremonies, you just can't by law be married in alot of places. Its not like its illegal, and you will be arrested for same sex marriage. You just don't get the tax benefits. If financial reasons are not an issue then this really isn't an issue. As I said I don't care, I just don't understand why its such a BIG issue.

I mean if anything gun control is similar and affects more people. I am pro gun rights, but even then I woudnt put my whole vote based on gun control.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:05 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
We have the largest religious conservative population in the 1st World, and they feel their interpretation of the Bible must be applied to all citizens of this country.

Thus social issues become a big issue in politics.

Is it legal to have an abortion?

Can you celebrate any religion or be an Atheist?

Can you have premarital sex?

I mean it really doesn't seem like the "religous right" are even winning. Just seems like to massive groups argue and want power, granted both don't realize the other side has the right to their views. Either way I don't even see how one side REALLY controls the majority, seems pretty evenly split.

Yet it seems like such and issue.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:06 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Social issues were made to turn out the low information voter. They are ways to get the vote out without actually doing anything substantive or talk about real policy. It's especially easy in this country because all you have to say is sex and gays and people will listen. They won't listen to shrinking middle class or economic rights. those are boring. Look at a lot of the topics on this board. The most popular topics on here have something to do with sex, abortion, gays, or religion. It's low information voter garbage.
Those social issues look that way to you, until you are the one that is being hurt by those issues not being discussed, and given political relevance by enabling folks to work towards bringing social justice to these groups who have been denied equal rights.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Because it is easier to make people riled up by talking about meaningless dribble. It gets the vote out.
I'm sorry that you have trouble tackling more than one issue at a time. It's very telling, though, of many conservatives and the way their brains function.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:09 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Where has birth control ever been denied?

Marry someone you love? Its less then 4% of the population that legally can't. You still can perform ceremonies, you just can't by law be married in alot of places. Its not like its illegal, and you will be arrested for same sex marriage. You just don't get the tax benefits. If financial reasons are not an issue then this really isn't an issue. As I said I don't care, I just don't understand why its such a BIG issue.
Since when does the size of the minority determine their value. Jews make up 1% of the population. When segregation and bans on interracial marriage were issues, blacks made up less than 9% of the population. And while current figures put those who admit to be gay at around 4%, the number is likely higher, and you have to factor in bisexuals as well.

You act like tax benefits are the only issue. There are 1500 State and Federal benefits awarded with a marriage license, including healthcare issues, foreign visas, childcare issues, etc. And on the tax issue, the current DOMA case the Supreme Court will be hearing involves a woman who has to pay over $300,000 in estate taxes because her marriage to her wife is not recognized by the Federal government. If her spouse was a man, she would not owe a single cent. That's a pretty big inequality.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Is it legal to have an abortion?

Can you celebrate any religion or be an Atheist?

Can you have premarital sex?

I mean it really doesn't seem like the "religous right" are even winning. Just seems like to massive groups argue and want power, granted both don't realize the other side has the right to their views. Either way I don't even see how one side REALLY controls the majority, seems pretty evenly split.

Yet it seems like such and issue.
You don't see how much power the "religious right" has over the conservative political spectrum? Have you never heard of the "Moral Majority"?

Old 01-26-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Since when does the size of the minority determine their value. Jews make up 1% of the population. When segregation and bans on interracial marriage were issues, blacks made up less than 9% of the population. And while current figures put those who admit to be gay at around 4%, the number is likely higher, and you have to factor in bisexuals as well.

You act like tax benefits are the only issue. There are 1500 State and Federal benefits awarded with a marriage license, including healthcare issues, foreign visas, childcare issues, etc. And on the tax issue, the current DOMA case the Supreme Court will be hearing involves a woman who has to pay over $300,000 in estate taxes because her marriage to her wife is not recognized by the Federal government. If her spouse was a man, she would not owe a single cent. That's a pretty big inequality.
These are the complexities that evade the mind of one, whom is more inclined to being a conservative rightie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies