Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 04:57 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,679,931 times

Advertisements

Are we forgetting that those on the fringe wing of the liberal spectrum were conspiracy theorists during GWB's years. I remember liberals accusing then governor of Florida, Jeb Bush, of conspiring to steal the election on behalf of his brother. You remember when liberals implicated GWB in the 9/11 attacks? Even today, some on the fringe left believe oil was behind the Iraq invasion.

I'm a liberal, but you must not deny the fact that conspiracy nuts exist on both sides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 05:12 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Are we forgetting that those on the fringe wing of the liberal spectrum were conspiracy theorists during GWB's years. I remember liberals accusing then governor of Florida, Jeb Bush, of conspiring to steal the election on behalf of his brother. You remember when liberals implicated GWB in the 9/11 attacks? Even today, some on the fringe left believe oil was behind the Iraq invasion.

I'm a liberal, but you must not deny the fact that conspiracy nuts exist on both sides.
I remember even more, libertarian conservatives, implicating top government officials behind the 9/11 attacks. The Iraq invasion wasn't all about oil, but the policies that we enact for that region of the world, sure have that area of the globes oil as at least one part of the middle east equation(you know, american interest$). So, yes.....oil actually was somewhat behind the Iraq invasion.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:13 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,035,501 times
Liberals are 100% responsible for the birther craze, that came out of the Hillary Clinton camp during the Democrat primaries.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I'm a "liberal" and I never heard of "truthers" until I joined CD. NOT ONE of my liberal friends believes that nonsense. The truthers are a very small subset, and some of them are just plain nuts.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:18 PM

420 posts, read 335,148 times
There are extremists and nut jobs of all persuasions, and they stretch far beyond politics alone.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:21 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,907,352 times
The difference is any left wing conspiracy theorists get made fun of by the main stream of the left but the wacky conspiracy theorists CONTROL the Republican party. Just look at how main stream conspiracy theories are on the right with something like 2/3rds of Republicans being birthers and to this day something like 1/3rd believe there are secret death panels in health care insurance reform.

To compare only something like 3% of people on the left think crystals have magical healing powers and they, rightly, get taunted into silence by the peers for their stupidity. That is a MASSIVE difference.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:16 PM

26,575 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Liberals are 100% responsible for the birther craze, that came out of the Hillary Clinton camp during the Democrat primaries.
not true. altho some of hillary's supporters, the PUMAs (party unity my ass), were early birthers they were not the first and none of them were a part of the clinton campaign. the honor of original birther goes to a poster at freerebublic.com.

Barackryphal: The Secret Origin of the Birthers

Old 01-26-2013, 06:20 PM

26,575 posts, read 14,444,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunValleyRoadKing View Post
There are extremists and nut jobs of all persuasions, and they stretch far beyond politics alone.
yep.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:21 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,555 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

The problem with your argument is that those really are the fringe democrats where as the Birther movement seems to poll very high among the majority of republicans, not just their fringe, the same with the other Obama conspiracies. THAT is the difference.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:36 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
not true. altho some of hillary's supporters, the PUMAs (party unity my ass), were early birthers they were not the first and none of them were a part of the clinton campaign. the honor of original birther goes to a poster at freerebublic.com.

Barackryphal: The Secret Origin of the Birthers

Thanks for that link, I will have to read it later. The source I have always mentioned in this connection is lib writer John Avlon, who said that birtherism did originate from the Hillary 2008 camp:
The 'Birthers' Began on the Left - The Daily Beast

McCain had a couple of lawyers look into it during the 2008 campaign and they concluded that Barack Obama was born in Hawaii. I think that Obama himself did everything to keep the embers of birtherism glowing after he was elected. It was very advantageous for him. It made the him look like a victim and made his opposition look like nuts, bullies and racists. I find it interesting that Donald Trump, who donated $50,000 to Rahm for mayor in 2011, became the most prominent proponent of birtherism. Could it be that Trump was actually getting marching orders from Team Obama to promote birtherism? Now there's a conspiracy theory for you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies