Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 12:41 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,122,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
More bad news for the right wing.
Yup...things are just peachy!!!

8.5 Million Americans Left Labor Force In Obama's First Term

8.5 Million Americans Left Labor Force In Obama's First Term | NewsBusters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2013, 12:42 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
More bad news for the right wing.

DOW hits 14000! Closes in on all time high.
Why's that??? Im a filthy rich RWNJ, I live off of you proles work, I own the stocks.....

Work harder for me prole, FORWARD!!!

Old 02-01-2013, 12:53 PM

109 posts, read 128,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
Why's that??? Im a filthy rich RWNJ, I live off of you proles work, I own the stocks.....

Work harder for me prole, FORWARD!!!
Too bad i dont care if you have money or not

Old 02-01-2013, 01:10 PM

77 posts, read 154,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post

Not to burden this thread with perspective rather than vitriol, but there are several million people a year leaving the workforce due to the massive demographic bubble of retiring boomers and the lack of 21at century skills demanded in todays workplace.The labor market has not adjusted to the new demographics, and many of the people who lost their jobs will never get them back due to the mismatch of skills and jobs. there are millions of unfilled jobs in the US..just not the right people to fill them. It's a real problem. But again, the unemployment rate for those over 25 with a college degree is under 5 percent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-01-2013, 01:16 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo1213 View Post
Not to burden this thread with perspective rather than vitriol, but there are several million people a year leaving the workforce due to the massive demographic bubble of retiring boomers and the lack of 21at century skills demanded in todays workplace.The labor market has not adjusted to the new demographics, and many of the people who lost their jobs will never get them back due to the mismatch of skills and jobs. there are millions of unfilled jobs in the US..just not the right people to fill them. It's a real problem. But again, the unemployment rate for those over 25 with a college degree is under 5 percent.

Oh, please do keep burdening us.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:19 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
Again, this is what fueled the "recovery". The economic recovery illusion is bad news for us all; you, me, and everyone else.

That narrative makes no sense. The Fed doesn't buy stocks and the banks that receive liquidity aren't allowed to buy stocks. So, how does the Fed increasing the monetary base put money in the stock market?

What actual occurred is that corporate profits are generally good and the economic outlook is encouraging.

Old 02-01-2013, 01:54 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
That narrative makes no sense. The Fed doesn't buy stocks and the banks that receive liquidity aren't allowed to buy stocks. So, how does the Fed increasing the monetary base put money in the stock market?

What actual occurred is that corporate profits are generally good and the economic outlook is encouraging.
Much of the sudden increase in the monetary base, via stimulus and bailouts, went into the private sector. Now add in annual subsidies for unprofitable US industry (more federal spending into private sector), then realize that we have a consumer based economy perpetuated by a revolving and accruing cycle of debt.

To say they are unrelated is to not understand the economy whatsoever.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:01 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post

Adding 157,000 jobs last month isn't a good thing?

Old 02-01-2013, 02:05 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo1213 View Post

From Paul krugman:
"A few days ago, I read an authoritative-sounding paper in The American Economic Review, one of the leading journals in the field, arguing at length that the nation’s high unemployment rate had deep structural roots and wasn’t amenable to any quick solution. The author’s diagnosis was that the U.S. economy just wasn’t flexible enough to cope with rapid technological change. The paper was especially critical of programs like unemployment insurance, which it argued actually hurt workers because they reduced the incentive to adjust.

O.K., there’s something I didn’t tell you: The paper in question was published in June 1939. Just a few months later, World War II broke out, and the United States — though not yet at war itself — began a large military buildup, finally providing fiscal stimulus on a scale commensurate with the depth of the slump. And, in the two years after that article about the impossibility of rapid job creation was published, U.S. nonfarm employment rose 20 percent — the equivalent of creating 26 million jobs today."

Old 02-01-2013, 02:23 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

O.K., there’s something I didn’t tell you: The paper in question was published in June 1939. Just a few months later, World War II broke out, and the United States — though not yet at war itself — began a large military buildup, finally providing fiscal stimulus on a scale commensurate with the depth of the slump. And, in the two years after that article about the impossibility of rapid job creation was published, U.S. nonfarm employment rose 20 percent — the equivalent of creating 26 million jobs today."
I'll see your prehistoric example and raise you something a bit more modern:

Quote:
As Figure 13 shows, from approximately 1950 to 2010, increases in federal spending were associated with decreases in per-capita GDP growth.

Deliberate efforts to stimulate the US economy through government fiscal policy have been a formal part of the political economy for more than eighty years. The analysis uncovers a rich but at times confused history of efforts to spend our way out of recessions on the one hand but then deal later with an inflationary economy by way of monetary policy. While there can be appearances of strong favorable responses to fiscal medicine, the more rigorous statistical analysis of relationships between stimulus spending and GDP growth presented a mixed bag of evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies