Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 08:14 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,818 times

Advertisements

If we fail with our children..we fail everywhere. You can say what you want about lazy parents, deadbeats on welfare, whatever...it isn't fair for children in the most advanced nation in the world to suffer from food insecurity.

How President Obama Can Reverse America

"Together, we resolved that a great nation must care for the vulnerable, and protect its people from life’s worst hazards and misfortune. … we are true to our creed when a little girl born into the bleakest poverty knows that she has the same chance to succeed as anybody else."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 08:16 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Easy, bring our troops home and quit throwing away trillions of dollars every year. That would be a great start.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Easy, bring our troops home and quit throwing away trillions of dollars every year. That would be a great start.
-Bring our troops home
-Close most overseas bases
-Adjust revenue's to clinton era levels
-End the drug war
-Close the carried interest tax deduction
-DON'T impose austerity measures until the economy has recovered
-Reduce defense spending to 3% of the GDP which will still be higher than any nation in the world

That would be a better start.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:27 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,067,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
If we fail with our children..we fail everywhere. You can say what you want about lazy parents, deadbeats on welfare, whatever...it isn't fair for children in the most advanced nation in the world to suffer from food insecurity.

How President Obama Can Reverse America

"Together, we resolved that a great nation must care for the vulnerable, and protect its people from life’s worst hazards and misfortune. … we are true to our creed when a little girl born into the bleakest poverty knows that she has the same chance to succeed as anybody else."
The bleakest poverty in this country is a cushy, entitled, walk in the park existance compared to actual and real and desperate poverty that exists in other parts of the world.

There's plenty of programs already in place. Far too many. And like all the other programs that are designed to encourage citizens into long term government dependency and that continue to justify government expansion, they are adding to the federal deficit every second of every minute of every day of every year while placing no expectations on the recipients to actually make personal attempts to better their situation.

In addition, these programs expand the phraseology of our language, and we start saying really stupid things with a straight face. Like "food insecurity" and "food desert".

Old 02-05-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
The bleakest poverty in this country is a cushy, entitled, walk in the park existance compared to actual and real and desperate poverty that exists in other parts of the world.

There's plenty of programs already in place. Far too many. And like all the other programs that are designed to encourage citizens into long term government dependency and that continue to justify government expansion, they are adding to the federal deficit every second of every minute of every day of every year while placing no expectations on the recipients to actually make personal attempts to better their situation.

In addition, these programs expand the phraseology of our language, and we start saying really stupid things with a straight face. Like "food insecurity" and "food desert".
Hungry is hungry....It isn't a my d*ck is bigger than yours. If children don't know where the next meal will come from...thats a problem. We are the most technologically advanced nation in the world. We have the resources to handle this issue....we don't need drones that roam the skies and drop bombs in the tailgate of a 1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max pickup truck from 15k feet in the air on some imbred moron in Yemen with a pistol.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:33 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Hungry is hungry....It isn't a my d*ck is bigger than yours. If children don't know where the next meal will come from...thats a problem. We are the most technologically advanced nation in the world. We have the resources to handle this issue....we don't need drones that roam the skies and drop bombs in the tailgate of a 1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max pickup truck from 15k feet in the air on some imbred moron in Yemen with a pistol.
I do not know you or your positions but I would bet that you might not be comfortable addressing why kids are hungry. The programs are in place so that not a single kid should be hungry. Parents on any income level could feed their kids with the food stamp program alone if they were responsible parents.

The answers here are not pretty.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I do not know you or your positions but I would bet that you might not be comfortable addressing why kids are hungry. The programs are in place so that not a single kid should be hungry. Parents on any income level could feed their kids with the food stamp program alone if they were responsible parents.

The answers here are not pretty.
Kids are hungry for a lot of reasons but those reasons aren't the kids themselves fault. A lot of them have deadbeat parents who ***** themselves our for foodstamps or exchange the stamps they've gotten for meth....I grew up in Central Appalachia in the poorest county in the state of Virginia...I've seen things most people would prefer to never see. I interned at social services during the summers (I intially wanted to do social work) and I couldn't handle it. You never (ever) leave work feeling good.

I don't have all the answers as to what needs to be done but I know first hand that funding is NOT reliable in the slightest, a lot of parents are hideously unqualified to have children, resources are stretched beyond belief, and the kids are the victims.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:38 AM

88,981 posts, read 44,793,389 times
From the article...
Quote:
In order to end childhood hunger in the United States, the president and Congress must work together to ensure a full-employment economy with sufficient living-wage jobs available in all low-income rural, suburban, and urban areas nationwide, as well as ensure that federal nutrition benefits are able to sustain families for a full month and that more working families are able to access them.
Here's a thought... STOP paying those who receive public assistance to do nothing more than breed!

Those receiving public assistance have a birth rate 3 times higher than everyone else.
States and citations, here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/27093645-post127.html

Is that sustainable? Will the 49% who actually pay any federal income tax be able to afford to keep paying more and more to financially support an exponentially growing chronically poor class? And how "moral" or "kind" is a country that incentivizes the highest rate of birth among its poor? What kind of future are all those children born into poverty going to have? Right off the bat there are overwhelming odds AGAINST them. Why would any country do that to its own children? Why is incentivizing an increasingly larger poverty class Democrat/liberal policy?

Welfare programs make it easy and profitable for irresponsible people to bear child after child with NO thought whatsoever to providing for that child, guiding that child to adulthood, and helping that child develop his/her potential so they can be contributing members of society. Those children are nothing but freebie factories for the poor.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:40 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,865,579 times
I've seen and talked to kids who have told me if it wasn't for the free breakfast and free lunch at school they would have very little if nothing to eat. Living with crack mama and no dad, their situation in AMERICA is appalling. I'm no liberal and hate all these government handouts, but if we cannot help our children, then as a society we are doomed.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
If the kids are still hungry after WIC, Food Stamps, TANF and free food in school then the parents need to be charged with abuse and the kids taken away from them. There's also food pantries all over the US.

Adding a new food program to the mix is not fixing anything. If a parent is not taking care of their kids then charge the parents and take the kids away.

Stop playing these games already. No one should be going hungry in America with all that we offer in programs.

The problem is not hunger or lack of food. The problem is child abuse at the hand of parents that don't give a damn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies