Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 04:21 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Gun control is a lost cause.

I would be very suprised if a super majority of people in large urban areas with substantial gang/gun violence would not support a search and frisk law that would enable the Police to crack down on criminals with guns.
EFF that!!!

4th amendment!!!

Besides, convictions that resulted from stop and frisk activities in NYC are getting thrown out left and right...

SCOTUS is gonna drop the ban hammer on that BS...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 04:26 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Aww, how cute. You're trying to stick up for your intellectual peer. So precious!

As someone with an education and critical thinking skills...not a damn thing.

The same cannot be said for many of your peers though.

Well, the difference is that the accurate but well played out "attack" was actually funny at one point. Your response was just....lame.
Didn't seem to "stick", though.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:28 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
That isn't true at all. Most people on medication are fine and mass shootings are rare, but when they happen the shooter is usually on meds (approx 60% of the time). That isn't surprising though, some medications have suicidal and homicidal side effect - there isn't a way to know if those drugs do more harm than good. The rest of the time we don't exactly know what the cause is. Sometimes it is a jihadist and sometimes it is just a sociopath.

Again, tens of millions are on these meds throughout the world.
Thus far, there is nothing factual to suggest most of these notorious shooters were on their meds at the time of the shootings. I tend to think being off one's meds is as likely to cause a snap as anything else.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
No.

I do feel that an ordinary citizens children are just as important as the presidents children,
All children are important. Who the heck is going to run for President knowing they are putting themselves and their entire family at a higher risk of harm than most people?

Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,838 times
Quote:
Again, tens of millions are on these meds throughout the world.
Thus far, there is nothing factual to suggest most of these notorious shooters were on their meds at the time of the shootings. I tend to think being off one's meds is as likely to cause a snap as anything else.
Psych meds have hellacious side effects.

I've had meds throw me into insane levels of paranoia where I had my pdoc call 911 cause I was wigging out. Didn't eat or sleep for about 5 days lol.

And that was just Effexor. A common antidepressant...

These side effects are far more common than you may realize. They just don't always manifest in psychotic shooting rampages...

Old 02-04-2013, 04:36 PM

709 posts, read 656,700 times
Quote:
Gun control is a lost cause.

I would be very suprised if a super majority of people in large urban areas with substantial gang/gun violence would not support a search and frisk law that would enable the Police to crack down on criminals with guns. If they don't like it, easy enough to move to Indiana, just a hop, skip and a shot away.
I don't care what law the people may support. The government does not have the right to search someone without cause. I also don't care that they currently do it. It doesn't make it right.

When I was a cop, I worked with guys who did this exact thing. I made it well known that I would not tolerate it, participate in it, or cover it up if it ever came to that. That stance didn't win me many friends, but I was able to look at myself in a mirror.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:15 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,556 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The statement was made that Obama could do nothing about crime in Chicago. I said I disagreed but this was not a thread on crime in Chicago. Owned? Grow up.

If you want to start a thread on crime in Chicago and what can be done there, start one.
Yes,owned. You realized you had no argument so you tried to cut ties and run before you could be responded to.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,556 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It's not funny because it's not accurate.

What I said (MSNBC being the actual faux news) is accurate...

2008 Presidential Election Coverage

MSNBC

73% of McCain stories were negative
14% of Obama stories were negative

Fox News

40% of McCain stories were negative
40% of Obama stories were negative

(Source: Project for Excellence in Journalism, Oct. 29, 2008)

And from the Pew Research:

2012 Election Coverage

MSNBC

71% of Romney coverage was negative

Fox News

46% of Romney coverage was negative

Do you see now why I say MSNBC is the actual "faux news?"
I have never seen one positive Story about Obama on Fox News, but that is besides the point. Fox news is called "Faux News" because their stories are incorrect, not because they are a right wing news station.

so no, that wouldnt make MSNBC the real Faux news.

You also should read your links before posting

The Color of News | Project for Excellence in Journalism (PEJ)

Winning the Media Campaign | Project for Excellence in Journalism (PEJ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOW THE PRESS REPORTED THE 2008 GENERAL ELECTION
These are some of the findings of the study, which examined 2,412 campaign stories from 48 news outlets, during six critical weeks of the general election phase from the end of the conventions through the final presidential debate. Tone was examined on a subset of this sample, 857 stories from 43 outlets, those campaign stories that were focused on one of the candidates. Marion Just of Wellesley College served as a consultant on the study. The Project is funded by the Pew Charitable Trusts.

Among the findings:

Coverage of Obama began in the negative after the conventions, but the tone switched with the changing direction of the polls. The most positive stories about him were those that were most political—the ones focused on polling, the electoral map, and tactics.

For McCain, coverage began positively, but turned sharply negative with McCain’s reaction to the crisis in the financial markets. As he took increasingly bolder steps to try and reverse the direction of the polls, the coverage only worsened. Attempts to turn the dialogue away from the economy through attacks on Obama’s character did hurt Obama’s media coverage, but McCain’s was even more negative.
READ THAT VERY CLOSELY

It says that saying Obama has an electoral advantage is deemed positive, saying he is ahead in the polls is deemed positive.

So by reporting a fact,the media was seen as being positive to Obama. The same is true in reverse for John McCain. saying he was losing the electoral map was seen as negative as well as saying he was down in the polls.

again Read your links before posting then. LMFAO

Old 02-04-2013, 09:57 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,213 times
Quote:
"Supposedly" lefty? More like definitely lefty! The stats I posted back that up.

How about the Democrats on Fox News as hosts or guests?

- Juan Williams
- Geraldo Rivera
- Susan Estrich
- Harold Ford Jr
- Alan Colmes
- Lis Wiehl
- Bob Beckel
- Ellen Ratner
- Ellis Henican
- Mara Liasson
- Mort Kondracke
- Pat caddell
- Kristen Powers
- Leslie Marshall
- Marc Lamont Hill
Who the heck are these people? Token fake Democrats?

Juan Williams is the only somewhat recognizable Democrat on Fox News. Rivera is a moderate Republican. Harold Ford is of *some* repute. Rest are nowhere near as famous as the Republican regulars on MSNBC such as Steve Schmidt, Sununu, Michael Steele, Joe Scarborough, Newt Gingrich, Grover Norquist,..I mean these are heavyweight GOPers ! Not to mention MSNBC hosts such as David Gregory and Chuck Todd who more than lean towards the GOP/

Old 02-04-2013, 10:12 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
"Supposedly" lefty? More like definitely lefty! The stats I posted back that up.

How about the Democrats on Fox News as hosts or guests?

- Juan Williams
- Geraldo Rivera
- Susan Estrich
- Harold Ford Jr
- Alan Colmes
- Lis Wiehl
- Bob Beckel
- Ellen Ratner
- Ellis Henican
- Mara Liasson
- Mort Kondracke
- Pat caddell
- Kristen Powers
- Leslie Marshall
- Marc Lamont Hill
Ford is a real time Democrat, the rest of this could best be described as a has been or never was list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies