Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 01:56 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times

Advertisements

I don't hate the man at all. I don't think that he is a good President, and I don't like his policies. I have felt the same about other Presidents. This group of Obama supporters are a different breed. Presidents have faced the same criticisms over the years, but if you criticise Obama you hate him. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 01:59 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I've disliked, in the strongest sense, the Ilk of his nature since the 1980's.
I've often wondered why RWNJs on this forum use the word "ilk" so much. Never seen it used this often outside of a Sir Walter Scott novel. But at least most of you use it correctly in a sentence. I do not understand the above.

Please learn English. Thank you.

Merriam-Webster:

Definition of ILK

: sort, kind <the rejection of these books or others of like ilk — Kathleen Molz>

Examples of ILK

The club attracts punk rockers and others of that ilk.
<we're looking for chestnuts and other items of that ilk for our autumn decorations>

Old 02-03-2013, 02:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
Think back to when you first paid attention to Barack Obama. It could be his 2004 DNC speech, or his first year in the senate in 2005. Maybe it was the announcement of his presidential candidacy in 2007 or during the heat of the campaign itself. And maybe it was when he took office in 2009.

What was the first thing he said or did that made you turn sour on him? And also, can he ever redeem himself in your eyes?

Edit: Hate is a strong word. I know most of yall don't truly hate him. How about strongly oppose?
His lack of experience. His failure to do anything since he took office. What do you expect from a rookie? He's never done anything except campaign for office. I prefer candidates who have actually done things like held an office with a positive track record or run a company that was ran well.

Unfortunately, he has done nothing since taking office to change my mind. He's not up to the job he was elected to do. I have no idea how this newbie came out of left field and won. That makes me wonder who the puppet master is.

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
1. Stimulus.
2. Health care act.
Bush

1. Stimulus
2. Expansion of Medicare

New boss....same as the old boss.

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I do not like him, as a President, for many reasons. He is an elitist (and so is his mean scowling wife), while trying to make us think he's just a regular guy, which he isn't. He surrounds himself with others who share his wishy washy, birkenstock wearing views. I am suspect of how he got into, and afforded, Harvard, when he did so poorly as an undergrad. He's all for public education, but not for his own children. He's weak on the military. He's not strong on the Constitution. He's an apologist for the USA.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:02 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Hate is too strong of a word. I don't know Barak Obama personally, therefore I can't make a judgement as to his personality.

On the other hand, I disagree with his politics in general. He has zero credibility when it comes to talking about the economy and the budget, because he has never been in a position to be in charge of either until he was elected as POTUS. Since his election, he hasn't shown any true skills in this arena. Our economy is treading water with no noticeable improvement in sight.

On gun control, Obama has zero credibility due to the fact that he famously comes from a town that has extremely strict gun control but also has a murder rate that is almost 4 times the national average. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results, and Obama's stance on gun control comes very close to meeting the definition of insanity.

Obama has proven himself to be proficient at making campaign promises which he has no intention of keeping. Think back to the run-up to the 2008 election when he was promising to have the "most transparent presidency ever," then look at exacly how much of his policy making goes on behind closed doors with no public input. This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the campaign promises he has made and promptly forgotten. He also promised to close Gitmo upon his first election, expedite our withdrawal from the Middle East, and explore peaceful relations with foreign countries. Sorry, but I don't really see how bombing women and children with drones is an exploration of peaceful relations.

All in all, my opinion of President Obama is that he is a stuffed shirt who managed to get the job of President and swiftly realized that he was woefully underqualified for the position. He refuses to take any blame upon himself for the failures of his administration while gleefully accepting the adulation and cheers for successes that he had little to do with.

I don't hate him, but I firmly believe that he will eventually be thought of as one of the worst presidents in United States history, if he doesn't make it to the top of the list. My only hope is that his destructive policies don't lead to him being the last president in United States history. All in all, his presidency has been the most divisive that I can remember, and his condescension toward anyone who doesn't agree with him has done nothing but make that division worse. He calls for compromise while refusing to step off his high horse and give any concessions to the other side, then manages to spin the story to the point that people blame the other side for his demagoguery. The one thing that I will say which could be construed as being a compliment is that Obama is probably the best political player I've seen in my life, and quite possibly the best I've ever read about in history. Considering my view of politics in general I'm not sure if that is a compliment, but when someone is good at something I like to acknowledge their skill.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:05 PM

630 posts, read 1,265,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I've often wondered why RWNJs on this forum use the word "ilk" so much. Never seen it used this often outside of a Sir Walter Scott novel. But at least most of you use it correctly in a sentence. I do not understand the above.

Please learn English. Thank you.

Merriam-Webster:

Definition of ILK

: sort, kind <the rejection of these books or others of like ilk — Kathleen Molz>

Examples of ILK

The club attracts punk rockers and others of that ilk.
<we're looking for chestnuts and other items of that ilk for our autumn decorations>
HA! I've been wondering the same thing! Maybe it's because ilk is more of an old fashioned word and conservatives tend to be older?

Old 02-03-2013, 02:06 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
HA! I've been wondering the same thing! Maybe it's because ilk is more of an old fashioned word and conservatives tend to be older?
Or maybe they're all Scottish?

Old 02-03-2013, 02:09 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Irrational (but happened before I knew anything about him): His voice. It absolutely makes me crazy annoyed and it bugs the **** out of me. The cadence of his speech is so grating, it's next to impossible for me to listen to him speak. So I tend to read his speeches rather than listen to them.

Rational: His ideas are based on ideals that ignore the fact that most people are simply lazy and greedy. He talks trash about his own country to other countries. He has zero experience doing anything and was voted in because of a 'feel good' moment in history. He does too much finger pointing and is into negativity...instead, he should tell me what he can do, not focus on what someone else did.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:10 PM

630 posts, read 1,265,373 times
By the way guys, you're all listing stuff that he has done over the course of his time in office. I'm looking more for the exact moment you realized you don't want this guy to be president, which (if you've been paying attention) should have been during the 2008 campaign or earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies