Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 01:04 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times

Advertisements

In wake of recent violent crime, it's a shame that one of the most violent games on the market has sold 25 million copies.

Where are your priorities, America?

Why not throw out the TV gaming console and do something productive instead?

There's nothing you would rather be doing than playing a crappy game? Don't you have dreams? Aren't you worried about the current state of this country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 01:05 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
In wake of recent violent crime, it's a shame that one of the most violent games on the market has sold 25 million copies.

There's nothing you would rather be doing than playing a crappy game? Don't you have dreams? Aren't you worried about the current state of this country?
LOL; nice response thread.

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
GTA IV isn't violent. I don't think I would rate it in the top ten.

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
While I don't specifically target any one game or gaming system, I agree with the general premise that kids and even adults need to get off their asses and outside doing something, whether it be playing with neighborhood kids and developing social skills or getting a job and doing something productive with their lives.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:07 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,531,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

I stopped playing GTA IV just long enough to make some guacamole and watch the Super Bowl yesterday...

Does that count as productive?

Old 02-04-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
GTA IV isn't violent. I don't think I would rate it in the top ten.
The idea that is that it's more realistic and easy for people to relate to than a game where you go around shooting aliens or zombies.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I stopped playing GTA IV just long enough to make some guacamole and watch the Super Bowl yesterday...

Absolutely! Stopping to make guacamole for a superbowl party beats stopping to post threads about how much the superbowl is about government and corporate greed.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:11 PM

744 posts, read 1,092,114 times
Great to hear. The Grand Theft Auto series is simply a work of genius, and is the only video game worth playing in the past 20 years, and is the ONLY reason to own a PS3 or an Xbox.

I can't wait until Grand Theft Auto V!

Grand Theft Auto V: Official Trailer #2 - YouTube

Old 02-04-2013, 01:22 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,368,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

Anytime you are making Mexican food it is productive in my books, I am making my own tortillas and later slapping together some spicy Quesadillas. IF we could get everyone to chill out and smoke some top notch herb and make and eat Mexican food it could lead to world peace.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:25 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
While I don't specifically target any one game or gaming system, I agree with the general premise that kids and even adults need to get off their asses and outside doing something, whether it be playing with neighborhood kids and developing social skills or getting a job and doing something productive with their lives.
I can agree to an extent; morally speaking, kids shouldn't be allowed near GTA IV but parents (including my mother, and many others) allowed us to play them when outside activities or even something as simple as reading a book wouldn't spark our interest. Bare with me on this, I'm sure some you probably remember my age by now but I'll reiterate for those who don't, I'm 21 years old so a game such as GTA IV or I'll go back in time and say GTA III was something I'd play all the time as a kid. Some of what occurred in the game rather it was doing drive-bys or even something as simple as picking up a prostitute (which I did on accident the first time I ever did while parked at a stop-light, yes at times I tried to be civil on the game LOL) actually showed me on these issues to a degree.

I remember distinctly when I first found out what a prostitute was (my mother told me what it was for she has a policy in place to never have me ignorant on any topic but she teaches what is right or wrong about the topic and has me inform my own opinion on the matter) and GTA III pretty much showed me the process of what happens in a more simplistic manner in comparison to real life. So my point of these paragraphs is essentially to say, yes video games can morally corrupt a child's mind if not prepared for it but if the parent emphasizes and keeps the child informed on what's right and wrong, then it can be a 'early' learning process. I say early learning process because by the time I was in middle-school my peers and I already knew anything negative about life, of course not fully in depth though.

I plan on being the same way with my children, I don't want them growing up being ignorant on any particular topic because that only leads to empiricism. Plus their peers will teach/inform them about those issues anyways, so why not come to one that's actually knowledgable on these things and learn from them. I hate parents that try to shield their child from everything, I want my child to experience things after its already explained to them. If I say 'don't put your hand in the candle its hot', I'm not saying I want them to burn their hand off but to at least one time disobey me to experience it themselves so next time they'll know not to do it. So in this case my mother taught me that guns were for adults and bad (though she has one herself), I experienced it myself on a video game and was killed or locked up for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Great to hear. The Grand Theft Auto series is simply a work of genius, and is the only video game worth playing in the past 20 years, and is the ONLY reason to own a PS3 or an Xbox.

I can't wait until Grand Theft Auto V!

Grand Theft Auto V: Official Trailer #2 - YouTube
LOL. Agreed; its my favorite video game of all-time. I pre-ordered it but then I woke up one morning and saw that it was pushed back to mid-September, so I decided to re-allocate most of those funds towards this PS3 game called 'The Last of Us'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies