Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:17 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,668,503 times

Advertisements

Don't think more gun restrictions would have kept these two thug teens from getting one. Last time I checked a 16 year old isn't legal to purchase a handgun much less carry it legally. Isn't it wonderful how they call the criminals "victims" ??

Police source: Martin Luther King HS shooting is justified - Fox 2 News Headlines

And here is the problem, the parent just can't believe her boy could do something like this. Meanwhile he was awaiting trial for an armed robbery of a Jet's pizza. You just can't fix stupid...
Mother of teen shot outside MLK high says her son didn't own gun - Fox 2 News Headlines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 06:23 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Don't think more gun restrictions would have kept these two thug teens from getting one. Last time I checked a 16 year old isn't legal to purchase a handgun much less carry it legally. Isn't it wonderful how they call the criminals "victims" ??

Police source: Martin Luther King HS shooting is justified - Fox 2 News Headlines

And here is the problem, the parent just can't believe her boy could do something like this. Meanwhile he was awaiting trial for an armed robbery of a Jet's pizza. You just can't fix stupid...
Mother of teen shot outside MLK high says her son didn't own gun - Fox 2 News Headlines
Anyone can show anecdotal cases that buck the general rule (i.e. 90 year old who didn't get cancer from smoking for 60 years; person saved by not wearing seat belt; etc.) Those don't disprove the overall statistics. Those statistics are that murder and suicide rates are lowest in countries with the strictest gun laws.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 AM

46,313 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Anyone can show anecdotal cases that buck the general rule (i.e. 90 year old who didn't get cancer from smoking for 60 years; person saved by not wearing seat belt; etc.) Those don't disprove the overall statistics. Those statistics are that murder and suicide rates are lowest in countries with the strictest gun laws.
It's done here on CD all the time....just look at all the shooting threads....every time someone gets shot, it's now posted here on CD.....whether it was with a pistol or not....

Old 02-05-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
I don't care about other countries, I care about this one. Had this person not had a firearm and was able to use it two girls would have been kidnapped , raped or worse and he could have possibly been dead. Share the "statistics" to the two girls' parents.. I'd be curious to hear what they would say to you.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
It's done here on CD all the time....just look at all the shooting threads....every time someone gets shot, it's now posted here on CD.....whether it was with a pistol or not....
Just throwing facts out there... not statistics. Sorry. It seems like everyone is quick to post links to negative stories helping to spin the gun grabbing agenda. It's nice to see a positive once in a while.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:31 AM

17,804 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
I don't care about other countries, I care about this one. Had this person not had a firearm and was able to use it two girls would have been kidnapped , raped or worse and he could have possibly been dead. Share the "statistics" to the two girls' parents.. I'd be curious to hear what they would say to you.
Yes, and he could have REALLY killed those two guys if he had an AR 15.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:32 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
And if he buys it with a background check at a gun show, which is the current proposal, he could still have done it.

Few, if any, are wanting to take all privately owned guns.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yes, and he could have REALLY killed those two guys if he had an AR 15.
Nice try but nothing was mentioned about the AR15 sport rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
And if he buys it with a background check at a gun show, which is the current proposal, he could still have done it.

Few, if any, are wanting to take all privately owned guns.
I've got zero problems with background checks, I live in the state of MI so any new firearms purchases, even at gun shows get background checks. Face to face purchases of handguns require a CPL or purchase permit (which a background check has been done) I have no problem extending that to long guns.
Talk to the guys in NY , they might not be "taking" guns but they are making certain ones illegal. And if Fienstien gets her way even more firearms will be illegal.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:57 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Cherrypicking has no validity when one ignores the countless instances when gun ownership creates a tragedy.

I care about this country too. That's why I am concerned when a highly westernized country is tied (at 4.8 per 100,000) with Belarus and Thailand for the highest murder rate. Israel has a 2.1 rate. The death by firearms rate is 10.2 in the U.S. The nearest western European nation is Switzerland at 3.84.

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-05-2013, 07:00 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:

Why don't I see you use this to argue against gun control?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies