Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:59 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Who cares if Strom wouldn't recognize her? The woman should have aborted if she knew he wasn't going to be there for her child and she didn't want to be a single mother, right?

She was well taken care of and wasn't left neglected to become an animal of society. The type of animals people on CD champion.
Now you're being ridiculous. Abortion wasn't legal until 1973, and medical care was spotty for poor black people living in the south until after the civil rights movement. It's highly unlikely that she would have found anyone to perform an abortion, outside of someone with a coat hanger in a back alley. Women still sought abortions before Roe v. Wade, but lots of them died before they became safe and legal. That's the part that many of you conveniently forget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 01:00 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post

Nonsense. You continue to use "history" in an effort to derive at an conclusion in order override the facts as we know them.

unless you can directly pinpoint something that directly states that she was described as being taken advantage over or abused, then, like it or not the situation was "mutally beneficial."
Since little is known about Carrie Butler, except that she died at age 38 in PA of kidney failure,
looking at history is the only thing we have.
Her own daughter barely saw her in her own life.

So if you look at the "history" of the time, here's the typical demographic of a
Carrie Butler:
Extremely poor, little or no education, living in Edgefield SC in the 1920's with a
vibrant KKK and white men of the era that still looked at black girls as property and a
coming of age sexual right.

Yeah, you tell me how mutually beneficial Carrie Butler's life was, before, during, and
after engaging in sexual intercourse with Strom Thurmond...

Sometimes, common sense defines the victim.

And, ugly letch defines Thurmond pretty much his whole political life.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:03 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Now you're being ridiculous. Abortion wasn't legal until 1973, and medical care was spotty for poor black people living in the south until after the civil rights movement. It's highly unlikely that she would have found anyone to perform an abortion, outside of someone with a coat hanger in a back alley. Women still sought abortions before Roe v. Wade, but lots of them died before they became safe and legal. That's the part that many of you conveniently forget.
No, I am well aware of how abortions were carried out at the time. My point is, who cares if he never recognized her? He took care of her....which is more than you can say for the multi-million deadbeat dads in this country right now.

Sure, maybe he was a little hypocritical. But we are all hypocrites. Every single human being is not without some set of double standard in this country.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:09 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
No, I am well aware of how abortions were carried out at the time. My point is, who cares if he never recognized her? He took care of her....which is more than you can say for the multi-million deadbeat dads in this country right now.
Sure, maybe he was a little hypocritical.
That was very noble of you to acknowledge that that sleazeball "maybe" was "a little" hypocritical. Quite a step for you, I must say.

Quote:
But we are all hypocrites. Every single human being is not without some set of double standard in this country.
Speak for yourself.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post

Speak for yourself.
Oh, ok Saint Lucario...lol

I will speak for the culture of this country. If you are in that flawless percentile that falls under 3 years old...please, accept my apologies.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:22 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
That was the very least he could do, don't you think?
Yes.

Taking care of YOUR child IS the "least you can do".

Spread that word, will you?

Old 03-11-2013, 01:29 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,015,185 times
Quote:

Sure, maybe he was a little hypocritical. But we are all hypocrites. Every single human being is not without some set of double standard in this country.

Mr. Thurmond certainly never "took care" of her in a regular way. I read the book that Ms. Washington-Williams wrote; while she didn't disparage him, neither did she heap praise upon him. She understood the complexities of racism. IIRC, her mother had an extremely diffcult life; Thurmond made no effort to shoulder her care. Ms. Washington-Williams was gracious, thoughtful and obviously quite intelligent, a woman who had a successful life despite her circumstances. Any decent man would have been proud to have her as a daughter. My deepest sympathy to the family; Essie is now in a place where mixed blood has no relevance.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Mr. Thurmond certainly never "took care" of her in a regular way. I read the book that Ms. Washington-Williams wrote; while she didn't disparage him, neither did she heap praise upon him. She understood the complexities of racism. IIRC, her mother had an extremely diffcult life; Thurmond made no effort to shoulder her care. Ms. Washington-Williams was gracious, thoughtful and obviously quite intelligent, a woman who had a successful life despite her circumstances. Any decent man would have been proud to have her as a daughter. My deepest sympathy to the family; Essie is now in a place where mixed blood has no relevance.
Sure, he never nurtured her. But isn't that what the mother is for? And given the leverage family courts grant the mother in custody and support determinations, I'd say they agree. The father is the breadwinner and provider. So, he did his part as far as I'm concerned.

The racial element to me is neither here nor there...he was married. He would have acted the same way if it was a white woman. Now, would a white woman have ever been his maid at the time? Of course not. But I digress...

Last edited by Hot_Handz; 03-11-2013 at 01:51 PM..

Old 03-11-2013, 01:48 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,434,679 times
Quote:
RIP Essie Mae Washington-Williams, Daughter of Strom Thurmond

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/06/us....html?src=recg

God - "Black daughter dies"

seriously?

I think daughter of Storm thurmond would of been good enough. Funny how racist you can be and not know it

Old 03-11-2013, 01:53 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Oh, ok Saint Lucario...lol

I will speak for the culture of this country. If you are in that flawless percentile that falls under 3 years old...please, accept my apologies.
That's San Lucario to you, señor.

Since I am flawless................I accept your apology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies