Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:56 PM

391 posts, read 513,845 times

Advertisements

I just watched a show on "preppers" who use used fryer oil in their cars. I don't know how this works, but, it seems like average americans (by that I mean of average intellegence) can transform their cars and fry oil into usable "gas". Is it something that is so out there? These people saved reasources and money; and used something that we have alot of. Just, wanted to know if someone could helpl me understand why if this is possible what the problem is. Is it environmentally more unsound than other sources?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 09:01 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,864 times
I am ignorant on this, but it takes conversion and it smells. While one or two cars is not a problem, imagine hundreds of thousands of them, especially during rush hour? (Plus, I would rather bike).

In addition, it does not fundamentally address the concept of the car - where most of the fuel is used to propel the car rather than the passenger. We need structural change in transportation.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
I am ignorant on this, but it takes conversion and it smells. While one or two cars is not a problem, imagine hundreds of thousands of them, especially during rush hour? (Plus, I would rather bike).

In addition, it does not fundamentally address the concept of the car - where most of the fuel is used to propel the car rather than the passenger. We need structural change in transportation.
Oh, I agree totally. But, with the idea of algae biofuel being completely dismissed by Gingrich. I thought a discussion of something used by preppers might open some ideas about alternatives to drilling and other conventional methods proposed.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:13 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,471,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiteacher View Post
Oh, I agree totally. But, with the idea of algae biofuel being completely dismissed by Gingrich. I thought a discussion of something used by preppers might open some ideas about alternatives to drilling and other conventional methods proposed.

umm....Gingrich wants to build a moonbase....do you really think he cares about energy?

You will like this.
http://www.oilendgame.com/

Here is Amory Lovins giving a great a speech on energy efficiency.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...23891673213585

This man knows his stuff about energy. He lives in the high Rocky Mtns with not central heating and grows bananas. The man is a powerhouse on energy.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:16 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,530,444 times
"Fryer oil?" COOKING oil in a car? Oh man....car fires will never be the same, will they?

Old 03-15-2012, 09:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Quote:
I just watched a show on "preppers" who use used fryer oil in their cars. I don't know how this works, but, it seems like average americans (by that I mean of average intellegence) can transform their cars and fry oil into usable "gas". Is it something that is so out there? These people saved reasources and money; and used something that we have alot of. Just, wanted to know if someone could helpl me understand why if this is possible what the problem is. Is it environmentally more unsound than other sources?
You can either go buy a proceeser to clean it or go buy a gallon. Oh;that's right it runs about $7.00 a gallon.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:37 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,816,616 times
Quote:
There are conversion kits out there that let diesel cars and trucks run on cooking oil, however it doesn't run quite as well.
There are many alternative fuel sources such as in europe converting to propane power is fairly popular, you can run on pure alcohol, ethanol, even natural gas. The main issue why we don't turn to alternative fuels is because big oil runs the show and has most everyone in washington on the payroll doing everything they can to keep oil and gasoline the main fuel sources.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:45 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Why? Diesel cars and trucks have run on processed fryer oil for 20 years or so. In fact, Rudolf Diesel developed the engine to do so. But why bother? The amount of waste fryer oil is trivial in comparison to the amount of fuel used. You could probably run .1% of the vehicles in the country on it.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Why? Diesel cars and trucks have run on processed fryer oil for 20 years or so. In fact, Rudolf Diesel developed the engine to do so. But why bother? The amount of waste fryer oil is trivial in comparison to the amount of fuel used. You could probably run .1% of the vehicles in the country on it.
I'm sorry about being so ignorant on this fact. Maybe, you could explain it to me (please, no sarcasm intended). What is done with the waste oil? And, could corn oil be used? And soy? What about other products?

Old 03-15-2012, 10:02 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,580,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
You can either go buy a proceeser to clean it or go buy a gallon. Oh;that's right it runs about $7.00 a gallon.
Just a little information for everyone, I have a friend in Kingman AZ that has for 4 yrs now run a fleet of comercial tow trucks on the used veg, oil. They don't make "gas" from it, they make " Bio-Diesel" fuel . and even though every one says it is expensive, their cost is only $0.75 a gallon and thats even with the road tax that AZ charges them. and yes it does smell , just like french fries. And for those that say it doesn't work as well as regular diesel , you have to see his big semi tow truck ( 4 axel) pulling a fully loaded big rig up Interstate 40 and then tell me if its not running well !

Last edited by Fighter 1; 03-15-2012 at 10:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies