Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
OP posts a perfectly nice post and link, obviously in a sincere effort to promote progress towards the dream of MLK. Why the need for the cute slap down insult in response? Just curious....
They always do it. No one can have a decent discourse on the subject. President Obama has helped to polarize this nation. To me, Dr. Carson is more in the vein of MLK, who I admired tremendously. The left will not let this stuff go, ever, neither will our illustrious leader.

As Dr. CArson said, there is too much political correctness, witness the response to this thread. It makes me tired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Ben Carson is a very smart man and his logic is incredible. We all can be proud of a man who is that intelligent. We need more men like him .
This says it all and needs no more debate on either side.....he made a lot of sense to me. I was impressed, I don't care what color he is. He appears to be a uniter.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That's what i'm trying to figure out....who said that Ben Carson is a conservative or a Republican in the first place? Who said that he wasn't an Obama supporter? I still haven't seen anything where he's said such a thing one way or the other.

The way these right wingers on going on about it, you'd think that the good doctor was in the running to take over the RNC.
How ridiculous all of this blather has become. Speaking for myself only, I think it is refreshing for someone to speak with common sense and no attempt to demonize conservatives or such as myself, conservative and liberal in about equal amounts. Any time I have listened to Obama, I feel like I am being talked down to and patronized. I do not find him a good orator, at all, and I voted for him. He has polarized this country beyond belief and I wish we had gotten someone in the WH that was more moderate and not a divider.

It is no use trying to talk about these things because neither side is listening so, on that note, I am leaving the thread. It is tiresome.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
He is also a creationist and holds some shockingly ignorant views on evolution for a medical doctor:
I said I was leaving but, I had not noticed this post.

Holding a view about a God or Supreme Being must go with the territory of Pediatric Neurology. Over 40 years ago, I sat in a teaching hospital while a PN tried to explain to me what they had and had not found out, after an endless battery of tests, that had or could have caused my profoundly disabled daughter's condition. Close to the end of the conversation he said, "if people only knew all of the conditions and reasons that could cause a developing fetus to have her afflictions, there would never be another planned child born. I believe there has to be a higher design because they are so many well and perfect children born.......".

Now, if anyone feels the need to comment with a sneer on this eminent PN's credentials and unscientific thinking, I hope you can prove to me that you have as much scientific training as he did.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Nope. There's a very strong strand of conservatism in black communities. But this tradition would not call the fist black president a "food stamp resident" or a "Kenyan anti-colonialist", as Dinesh D'Souza and Newt Gingrich did.. It wouldn't howl that middle class tax cuts are "reparations for slavery", as per Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck. It wouldn't screech that black people want "free things" (as if anyone would deny free things). It wouldn't freak out when the first black president code-switches, as Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson did.

Basically, you seem to have no clue what's happening in black communities. The truth is, the GOP has been loudly hostile to black people over the past few decades, and the compete separation from black people is fully earned. We should applaud them for the success of their efforts!

Translation: you can't find direct, hard evidence that D'Souza, Gingrich, Limbaugh, Beck, Hannity, or Carlson are racists, so you come up with prattle that sounds impressive on the surface but is really just stuff taken out of context, deliberately misinterpreted, and generally twisted like a twizzler.

In other words, you carry on in the tradition of Spencer 'Attackerman' Ackerman who came up with the strategy to pick some random conservatives ", “Fred Barnes, Karl Rove, who cares — and call them racists.â€

Documents show media plotting to kill stories about Rev. Jeremiah Wright | The Daily Caller

You are a pretty high level spin-meister, I'll give you that. But let's see how your spin of the GOP as fraught with racism comports with reality. From 10-7-11 to 11-14-11, a black man polled either first or second as the choice for prez candidate among GOP voters, according to the RCP average. He might well have gone on to win the nomination had he been a little better prepared on foreign policy.
RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - 2012 Republican Presidential Nomination

So spin away, as I'm sure you will, but take care not to believe your own BS. I'm sure Spencer Ackerman does not make that mistake.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:25 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,763,548 times
I watched the whole speech and am happy I did. Yes, I'm a conservative and agreed wholeheartedly with his entire presentation.

This man is quite obviously highly educated both in the world of academia and in the struggles of people, having lived it.

He is yet another that succeeded when it would have been easier not to and simply blame his lack of on his family situation. Yet he succeeded in spite of it.

Yes, he reminds me of MLK Jr. People have twisted the words and vision of MLK in present day. Dr. Ben Carson brings back the message.

I don't care what color you are, this is a man that any American can be proud of.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:52 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
In all seriousness, we need to advance past the point where the perception that a successful black man or woman is the exception.

The reality is most blacks are as successful as whites. The perception is one of gangs and such. That's far from reality. I wish I knew the answer.
I have to disagree with you here. Even as a black man, I don't think that blacks have been as successful as whites in this nation, but it doesn't have anything to do with race. There is simply a higher percentage of whites who grow up wealthier than blacks. The environment that you grow up in more often than not, dictates your level of success. Consider the fact that there are a lot of minority families, who have parents who did not get an education, and don't emphasize to their children, meanwhile there is a higher percentage of white families who have college-level education beyond just one generation back. I believe if you put everyone in the same circumstances then yes those numbers would be similar, but the reality is people grow up in different circumstances with different values.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:57 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Where Dr Carson gets it wrong:

He said that there's nothing that says you have to tax the person who made $10 billion enough to hurt as much as the taxpayer who made $10.

But there's also nothing that says you have to hit the guy who made $10 harder than the guy who made $10 billion. And that's exactly what a flat tax does.
Do you understand the difference between a percentage and an absolute amount? If you do an absolute amount then it's going to be unfair for someone. How can someone who put only $1 in a system complain when someone has put 1 billion times more?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:03 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
I would seriously consider voting for him...

The Wall Street Journal: Ben Carson for President - WSJ.com

I'm sure African Americans are grateful that you told them who to be proud of.

Kudos.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:02 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I'm sure African Americans are grateful that you told them who to be proud of.

Kudos.
Strictly speaking OP did not tell anyone whom to be proud of. He just suggested who they "could" be proud of. But I can see where your (mis) interpretation is useful for someone seeking to exacerbate racial division.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies