Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2013, 08:19 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,939,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
I would seriously consider voting for him...

The Wall Street Journal: Ben Carson for President - WSJ.com
A) That's a pretty freakin' short assessment of the man.
B) Medical savings accounts? And when the money runs out....?
C) Notice one of his "leftist" ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 08:29 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,546,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Not at all. HOwever they are considered to be Uncle Toms by the left if they do that.
Nope. There's a very strong strand of conservatism in black communities. But this tradition would not call the fist black president a "food stamp resident" or a "Kenyan anti-colonialist", as Dinesh D'Souza and Newt Gingrich did.. It wouldn't howl that middle class tax cuts are "reparations for slavery", as per Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck. It wouldn't screech that black people want "free things" (as if anyone would deny free things). It wouldn't freak out when the first black president code-switches, as Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson did.

Basically, you seem to have no clue what's happening in black communities. The truth is, the GOP has been loudly hostile to black people over the past few decades, and the compete separation from black people is fully earned. We should applaud them for the success of their efforts!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,025,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Hey OP...we're actually proud of the guy we have now.

Now don't go jumping off of any buildings or allow your head to explode. We need you for the comic relief for the foreseeable future.
Proud of being $16 Trillion and growing in debt, 7.8% unemployment, (higher among the African American, and other demographics), a still struggling economy, MILLIONS more on government assistance, exploding student loan debt, roller coaster gas prices? and I could go on and on. You are proud of that?

You can't be proud of what's he's done so far, if so your standards are ridiculously low.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:47 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,939,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Proud of being $16 Trillion and growing in debt, 7.8% unemployment, (higher among the African American, and other demographics), a still struggling economy, MILLIONS more on government assistance, exploding student loan debt, roller coaster gas prices? and I could go on and on. You are proud of that?

You can't be proud of what's he's done so far, if so your standards are ridiculously low.
OK Logical, Obama is now responsible for student loan debt? This didn't exist before 2009? The debt not caused by "free market" universities charging as they please, and students borrowing from banks, the republican base?
Starting Date Is Set for Obama's 'Pay as You Earn' Student-Loan Plan - Government - The Chronicle of Higher Education
CNN Fact Check: Obama's student aid boast on the mark - CNN.com

You must explain how Obama controls gas prices.
You admit the economy "still struggling" since Bush, and Obama hasn't fixed it fast enough for you?
Obama calls for welfare reform. You must have been listening to Romney.
PolitiFact | Mitt Romney says Barack Obama
FactCheck.org : Does Obama’s Plan ‘Gut Welfare Reform’?
Repubs outsource jobs, filibuster jobs bills, and then complain about unemployment.
And how about those billionaires on public assistance - no problem there?

Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,598,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Nope. There's a very strong strand of conservatism in black communities. But this tradition would not call the fist black president a "food stamp resident" or a "Kenyan anti-colonialist", as Dinesh D'Souza and Newt Gingrich did.. It wouldn't howl that middle class tax cuts are "reparations for slavery", as per Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck. It wouldn't screech that black people want "free things" (as if anyone would deny free things). It wouldn't freak out when the first black president code-switches, as Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson did.

Basically, you seem to have no clue what's happening in black communities. The truth is, the GOP has been loudly hostile to black people over the past few decades, and the compete separation from black people is fully earned. We should applaud them for the success of their efforts!
Rep points for you. What I find funny is the people who scream these insults feel highly entitled to tell us as black people to look up to. Interesting thing is I know many black people who are conservative who cannot bring themselves to vote republican until they get their s*it together.

Interesting thing is so many people on this board claim to know how black people think, yet hardly interact with black people or talk to us about these issues face to face!

Old 02-11-2013, 11:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,233,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post

Yea. Very proud of him.

Am i proud of the things you mentioned? No. But what does one have to do with the other?

Old 02-11-2013, 11:40 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,467,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post

If there was a strong strand of conservatism in black communities then Democrats would not get 90+ percent of the black vote. Your assertion simply does not coincide with reality.

See, you can find just as much liberal shrieking about the GOP war on women as you've just done about all the supposedly anti-black sentiment in the GOP, and yet the Democrats don't get anywhere remotely close to 90 percent of the female vote.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,736,843 times
The ability to give uplifting speeches full of Biblical parables and common sense generalities would not solve any of the country's problems and does not qualify someone for leader of the free world. Are we electing a president or a motivational speaker? I can't even believe people are having this conversation.

Let's all be serious about what this really is, a puerile attempt by some to show that their extreme abhorrence of the president has nothing to do with race. I don't hate Obama because he's black, see I would vote for THIS guy for president and he's black! Give me a break.

By the way, what happened to the neocon argument that Obama was too inexperienced for the presidency after only 4 years in the Senate? An argument repeated by Karl Rove, Bobby Jindal, John McCain, etc. and then parroted by neocons all over the internet. I guess that doesn't apply to conservatives.

Last edited by EugeneOnegin; 02-12-2013 at 12:31 AM..

Old 02-12-2013, 12:34 AM

30,364 posts, read 51,981,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
If there was a strong strand of conservatism in black communities then Democrats would not get 90+ percent of the black vote. Your assertion simply does not coincide with reality.
Read the following post, which explains that rather well IMO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
Interesting thing is I know many black people who are conservative who cannot bring themselves to vote republican until they get their s*it together.
And I'll add that even in general, not all conservatives vote Republican - just as not all liberals vote Democrat.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,358,223 times
I don't know if this has yet been addressed, but the fact that Dr. Carson is a Seventh Day Adventist may work against him. Most people know little about that religion, and may falsely consider it a "cult" for it's unique theology. SDA's are "sabbath keepres" - they will do no non-essential work on their sabbath (which is Saturday), other than in the health field. I'm sure that issue will be brought up if he seeks office. Remember how Mitt Romney was targeted for being a Mormon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies