Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 01:36 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,429,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
The violence against women act will do absolutely nothing to stop violence against women, or anybody else for that matter. It's just more political posturing from the Democrats who love to pretend they're working for the good of the American people.
With my checkbook.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:38 PM

25 posts, read 19,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"The Act provides $1.6 billion toward investigation and prosecution of violent crimes against women".

Why should federal tax dollars go to non federal criminal acts.

Let each state pay for its own. Just another fed intrusion into states responsibilities. Hence, the phrase, 'The Nanny state".
They shouldn't. Too many federal dollars go to too many things they shouldn't and they do so under this pseudo-altruistic guise of "helping" when all it does it burden our futures and increase the deficits and subsequently our debts.

The states can handle this issue sufficiently...just as they can most other issues we have misguidingly saddled the fed with.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:39 PM

59,252 posts, read 27,435,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
How about you actually read and educate yourself about VAWA. It goes beyond "laws".

Violence Against Women Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Domestic violence. Let me help you out with that as well:

Domestic violence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
So you think these crimes warrant federal laws? What is wrong with your own state laws. Get THEM to pony up. Or would you complain if your state taxes went up?

Old 02-13-2013, 02:22 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,742,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertarianPartyNE View Post
As the consitution states that it should.

And yes, the government revenues are tight from wars and expansionary policy from the GOP but they are also tight from growing entitlements, growing healthcare costs, and an expanding role of what people feel the federal government should do for them. I'm going to have to vehemently disagree with your contention about taxes. Our taxes and our spending should both be lower...remarkably lower. If we continue to increase our tax revenues to meet our obligations while continuingly increasing our obligations that cycle won't end.

If the states want to address this issue further, fine. But again, this is not a federal issue. I understand it's emotional appeal to women and I support any measure states want to enact to prevent violence against women. No woman should be victimized and then left out in the cold...but it just isn't the fed's job to ensure each woman gets rape counseling or other services.
As to entitlement programs, the rich have the biggest ones, to the tune of trillions: Capital gains, which robs the US Treasury (which we all understand as the entity which runs the govt), in which they pay what? 15%? A lower tax rate, and tax deductions, for ex., an acquaintance of mine whose uncle makes several hundred million and pays about 16% tax rate, and Warren Buffet who pays about 17%, all less than my tax rate and I’m a working grunt? By allowing them to pay no taxes by banking at Swiss and offshore banks? Social Security, which the rich pay at 7.65% max up to $100,000 which means the working grunt pays a larger proportion of their income? No-bid contracts? Corporate farm subsidies? Oil subsidies? Having to pay pharma companies full retail rather than discounts? Bailing out bankers? Starting wars to benefit the military-industrial complex corporations? Free research? Benefits from public fiber optics research? Free use of the airways, which belong to all of us? I can go on and on endlessly.

As for why this needs to be a federal issue, I already explained it. The states do next to nothing. I don't know about you, I wouldn't trust a state govt. to do s_t for anyone. State govts are useless and will always be useless.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:27 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,278,780 times
Quote:
"The Act provides $1.6 billion toward investigation and prosecution of violent crimes against women".

Why should federal tax dollars go to non federal criminal acts.
because current investigations and funding are doing squat. those who assault women go free everyday. Police are ill equipped to investigate domestic abuse since they can be numerous. The funding also goes to help battered women to seek help and therapy.

Quote:
Let each state pay for its own. Just another fed intrusion into states responsibilities. Hence, the phrase, 'The Nanny state".
nothing of the like. It just shows how unequal our system is.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:40 PM

1,137 posts, read 973,279 times
Quote:

To have a law specifically ONLY for women is discriminatory. I thought lefties were against discrimination. I guess NOT.
Lefties are ok with discrimination as long as it only applies to straight white males.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
Lefties are ok with discrimination as long as it only applies to straight white males.
funny how none of you actually read the law. the law was expanded to cover more than just women. It covers and helps to provide protection for homosexuals/lesbians, women and transgendered persons.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:48 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,276,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
funny how none of you actually read the law. the law was expanded to cover more than just women. It covers and helps to provide protection for homosexuals/lesbians, women and transgendered persons.
Yet, every time a bill is introduced to include men battered by women and provide punishments for false accusation the bill dies.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Yet, every time a bill is introduced to include men battered by women and provide punishments for false accusation the bill dies.
Can you provide a link to one such bill?

Old 02-13-2013, 03:00 PM

17,403 posts, read 11,995,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
because current investigations and funding are doing squat. those who assault women go free everyday. Police are ill equipped to investigate domestic abuse since they can be numerous. The funding also goes to help battered women to seek help and therapy.

nothing of the like. It just shows how unequal our system is.
The Act is 20 years old, yet you admit that isn't hasn't done squat. So why pass a losing piece of legislation? Unless it's to pander to special interest groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies